PDA

View Full Version : breaking belts

whtrash73
09-12-2007, 10:21 PM
my gravely 260z has broke 2 deck belts in a month when i engage the pto it snaps the belt into.anyone had this problem? thanks alot!:confused:

Tyler7692
09-12-2007, 10:24 PM
my gravely 260z has broke 2 deck belts in a month when i engage the pto it snaps the belt into.anyone had this problem? thanks alot!:confused:

Check belt tension and check pulleys for wear.

Engage PTO at manufacturer recommended throttle range (probably mid-throttle or so)

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-12-2007, 10:33 PM
We were breaking belts this year too then I found one of the pulleys before the PTO had a bent edge. :hammerhead: Check your pulleys.

whtrash73
09-12-2007, 11:26 PM
have already checked pulleys and tension could the pto be going bad??? thanx agian..-wht-

txgrassguy
09-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Nope, I do not think it is just your pulleys going bad - how many hours do you have on the machine?
Typically what happens is a severe heating cycle occurs which destroys the integrity of the kevlar bands in the belt - I would check for a slow turning spindle, a damaged idler pulley or a out of alignment deck to pto pulley/damaged spindle.
After owning six of these machines I have become quite familiar with their idiosyncrasy's and would suggest you look for a mechanical problem.

super1
09-13-2007, 05:20 PM
the first thing that I would do would be remove the deck and stand it up vertically. you should be able to free-spin each blade with no resistance.
(if you have resistance it is a bearing)
If they spin freely, then you eliminate the bearings.
Then spin the blades and watch the pulleys and shaft for any wobble "on the pulley side of the deck".
Any wobbling or resistance can generate alot of heat and cause belt failure.
If you have no wobble then it could possiby be an alignment problem between your deck and clutch.
I have seen engines become loose and cause misalignment at the clutch.
Of course all of this would be after inspecting every pulley for nicks bends and abrasions:)

whtrash73
09-13-2007, 08:46 PM
thanks everyone for the help! still cannot find the problem but yall gave me some good places to look-wht-