PDA

View Full Version : I shouldn't go on EBay late at night...

Dirt Digger2
09-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Well I dont know what I was thinking..maybe it was the beer, maybe I was just tired. I sold my 8N last month because it was takin up space and didnt do the work i had hoped it would. So i bought this, it will mainly be used for hay on a friends farm but we will also put it to use molboarding fields this fall and spring and I will probably throw a rear blade on it for snow this winter...i'll get more pictures when i go to pay for it monday, and then when I pick it up at the end of October.

LindblomRJ
09-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Gas or diesel? Dad sold his 3020 diesel with loader and cab this past winter. Was a good tractor. Did have a whole lot of use for it anymore. They updated tractors.

Dirt Digger2
09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
its a gas motor...i wanted a diesel but couldnt pass this one up...it will join the fleet of a 4020 diesel, 4700 w/loader, and a mess of John Deere mowers...another farmer around here has a 3020 gas powershift and that thing is great so i think this one will do what i need it to

LindblomRJ
09-13-2007, 05:17 PM
The front axles on the 20s were not the strongest. If there is a loader you really need to be careful.

Looks like your is a synco range. For loader work I liked it a lot. Almost as good a shuttle shift.

Dirt Digger2
09-13-2007, 07:18 PM
no it doesnt have a loader and never will...i would have really liked to get a powershift because its going to be used in the field with a disk, haybine, baler, etc... so the powershift wold have been nice, but sync shift is just as fine...its what the 4020 has

hey lindblom any idea what these things wiegh w/o a loader?...im guessing around 7000lbs...i'm going to pick it up with a 250 diesel and a 10K deckover trailer, and i think that should be fine...just debating whether or not i should take the 10wheeler Pete with a backhoe trailer...

LindblomRJ
09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
I am guessing 500 LBS of weights on the front. 7 or 8 K total weight. The 4020 was about 10,000 LBS.

When I was cutting hay with a Hesston 1040 Hydroswing the 3020 could keep up. Synco was pretty nice, if get into a tought area shift it down in the low range, once life is good again back into upper range.

From what I understand you would not want a gas powered 3020 with powershift. My understanding was there was not enough power for it to get out of its own way.

Good find.

Fieldman12
09-13-2007, 08:39 PM
That is a nice looking old 3010. That series along with the 20 series is one of the best Deere ever built. The old 8n's where good machines if taken care of but a person must realize there not a big tractor by any means. If you dont mind me asking what did you give for it? What is the hours?

ksss
09-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Too bad it didn't come in RED. :drinkup:

Dirt Digger2
09-13-2007, 09:11 PM
That is a nice looking old 3010. That series along with the 20 series is one of the best Deere ever built. The old 8n's where good machines if taken care of but a person must realize there not a big tractor by any means. If you dont mind me asking what did you give for it? What is the hours?

its a 3020...i am writing a check on monday for $4300...the tach and hour meter still work so unless the old owner disconnected it for some reason the 2580 hours is original which is nothing for those machines

i plan on taking all the panels off this coming spring and giving it a good coat of paint, so besides for that everything is in top shape...i'll find out for sure when i go pay for it monday

Fieldman12
09-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Man I must be blind tonight to not see that was a 3020. Oh well, it must be late. Yeah, those hours are low for that tractor if they are actual. I love the old red ones my self also ksss. Nothing like the sound of an old 1066 with a straight pipe at night. I been wanting an old IH Diesel bad this year for some reason. I have enough tractors as it is. I use to drive an old 3010 tricycle and an old 4020. I have some fond memories side dressing corn with a no cab 4230 and pulling a 30' Deutz Allis disk with a 4650 FWA when in high school.

Fieldman12
09-13-2007, 10:45 PM
Just remember Dirt Digger 2 what Kenny Chesney says ( She thinks my tractors sexy). :) I see now there is a combine song on the Country station talking about International Harvesters I think it's by Craig Morgan.

Scag48
09-14-2007, 12:33 AM
We have a '72 1020 gas that's been a good tractor. I hate new tractors, they're junk. We have a newer Kubota L3410, I really don't know the year, but it's not that old. Junk, I hate running that tractor. It's hydrostatic, has a loader that makes it super topheavy (almost rolled it 2 or 3 times), just don't like it. I'll take our 1020 anywhere, it's not 4wd but you can't roll the dang thing.

Once I get out of school and have some property I'll invest in a tractor, definately something older that I can hold for nostalgia purposes.

Dirt Digger2
09-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Just remember Dirt Digger 2 what Kenny Chesney says ( She thinks my tractors sexy). :) I see now there is a combine song on the Country station talking about International Harvesters I think it's by Craig Morgan.

yea my girlfriend thinks im nuts for dropping all this money when i "dont need to"...i told her a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do...shes not they type to think my tractors sexy, yet

but that craig morgan song is pretty good

ksss
09-14-2007, 09:13 PM
I am kinda keeping an eye out for a cheap 5488 MFD or a 6788. I want to restore and........Well I don't know I just want one. I grew up on the 10 and 1466 and later a 3788.

Fieldman12
09-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Dirt Digger2, some women like them and some don't. Some it grows on. I would not worry about it too much. Just tease her a little bit about what ever she is into. :) I think either of those would make you a good tractor to restore ksss. I always liked both especially the 2+2 ant eater machines. Unfortunately allot of them was abused by people. They tried to run them like a high horsepower 4-wheel drive. I think the 5488 would be a little cheaper on the pocket book but cost you more up front.

Fieldman12
09-15-2007, 02:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgcjVn10VGM Cool video of Johnson Harvesting

LindblomRJ
09-15-2007, 04:33 PM

Cool video.

Dirt Digger2
09-15-2007, 07:22 PM

awesome video...we have a 5 acre corn maze in field right now that we plan on harvesting with a buddies antique john deere combine, i'll have to grab some pictures

LindblomRJ
09-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I think some of that was shot in South Dakota. I might be wrong though.

ksss
09-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Cool video there were others as well. A lot of Axial Flow combines on the U tube videos. I sat in one of those 8010 when they came in here. I would have no problem spending a day in one of those. Sure would beat the 6600 with engine right next to you. Back in the day I prefered the 3788 with the 914 pull type. Much more comfortable, and it looked cool (always important). I agree the 5488 would be easier, but those 2+2s looked damn cool with duals front and back (we only dualed the back on ours). I would like to put a scraper behind one. Yea thats how I will justify it.

LindblomRJ
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Scraper would be fun on 2+2. Wasn't the tramission the weak link in that setup? I have a book on IH tractors. I havn't read it in a while. I should pull off the bookshelf and red it again.

RockSet N' Grade
09-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Before they put in sub-divisions and cut roads all through this ground. I would wait for a foggy night, make some sandwiches, fire up the tractor and put the wife on my lap and go for a date driving in the fog through the fields......that's another good reason to have a tractor........Maybe there is a Letterman's top 10 forming here.......

Construct'O
09-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Before they put in sub-divisions and cut roads all through this ground. I would wait for a foggy night, make some sandwiches, fire up the tractor and put the wife on my lap and go for a date driving in the fog through the fields......that's another good reason to have a tractor........Maybe there is a Letterman's top 10 forming here.......

Got pictures:dancing: ???????? What's with the fog !!!!!!!:confused:

LindblomRJ
09-15-2007, 11:10 PM
I think the fog sets a romantic mood.

If you want cozy how about an old cat number 12 grader with the long bench seat. Not only comfortable for you and your partner for a midnight cruise but also other things.

RockSet N' Grade
09-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Constructo: We live a mile or less from the banks of the great salt lake. When the temp's change, for some reason, a fog bank comes in and can cover our area for a week or 10 days......first couple days, its kinda cool.......then it is dreary. We also live 1 1/4 miles from the freeway and the fog will come right up to the freeway and rarely go past it........kind of a line of demarcation. We also get lake effect snow and extra rain when and if it ever comes and seem to accumulate more than in surrounding areas. Never knew any of that until we moved here 12 years ago......

RockSet N' Grade
09-16-2007, 07:33 AM
Constructo: if I tried to take pics of the fog, it would be like trying to take pictures of a white rabbit in the snow.......besides, you know how illiterate I am when it comes to the picture thing.......its about time to learn something new and post a few....

Fieldman12
09-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Yeah Dirt Digger2 you will have to get us some pics. Ksss, that 8010 is a beast. I know a guy that has one of those and also two 2388's. His farm manager said it will run circles around the 2388's. They are starting around here to shell corn and cut beans. Yeah I remember the old 6600 days. As other have said don't know why they ever installed a head rest on the back of that seat since you where always bent over looking at the head. They where good machines though for there time. Case IH is making a big comeback around here.

Fieldman12
09-16-2007, 11:27 AM
LindblomRJ, the 2+2 tractors where basically a row crop tractor that had been turned into a four wheel drive articulated machine. They where from what I can remember never designed for duals on the front. Allot of people did install them. I think the tractor would have been fairly reliable but as I said before most people since the machined had been turned into a 4 wheel drive tried to pull way bigger tillage tools than what the machine was made for and it caused the machine to have transmission problems and so on.

ksss
09-16-2007, 04:54 PM
The running gear on the 3788 was essentially the same as a 1586. The hp and transmission was the same. The TA was a problem but overall never had a problem with the tranny. Had some issues with leaks and some electrical problems. The 6788 which shared the same running gear as the 50 series IH tractors. These had power shift between certain gears. Your right the tractor was not designed for duals on the front. They were great tractors to run once you became used to the front articulation.

LindblomRJ
09-16-2007, 04:59 PM
LindblomRJ, the 2+2 tractors where basically a row crop tractor that had been turned into a four wheel drive articulated machine. They where from what I can remember never designed for duals on the front. Allot of people did install them. I think the tractor would have been fairly reliable but as I said before most people since the machined had been turned into a 4 wheel drive tried to pull way bigger tillage tools than what the machine was made for and it caused the machine to have transmission problems and so on.

I did some reading afterwards. That makes sense. I seen one a couple of weeks ago hooked up to a round baler.

Dirt Digger2
09-17-2007, 07:36 PM
well i went and paid for it today...had a little problem getting it into gear but the mechanics worked it out for me...great place I recommend it, they have a lot of NO RESERVE auctions on ebay for all kinds of equipment, they had quite a few smaller tractors and Z-turns in their "ebay" lot that are in auction now or will be soon...McGrew Equipment...i dont know if i can put the name, so if a mod. takes it out PM me and i'll tell you the name of the place if any of you are interested in looking on ebay

Dirt Digger2
09-17-2007, 07:38 PM
the sheet metals really nice, it will need a new paint job and i might put a new steering wheel cap on it but overall its great

Fieldman12
09-17-2007, 10:34 PM
It looks really nice. I can tell you the only think I never liked on those tractors was the shifting. They get sloppy but can be fixed.

Fieldman12
09-17-2007, 10:47 PM
On the old IH tractors the TA (Torque Amplifier) was often a problem on these machines because people did not user them properly. They where made to shift without any hesitation in movement. Often people tried to feather them which eventually wore them out. It was a good concept but I often feel that was what helped kill IH. They picked up the ball a little late. Case IH has kicked around a newer version of the 2+2 such as with a Magnum design. I dont know why though because now some of these fwa tractors are putting out as much hp as a small 4wd. I still dont care though a four wheel drive will put more power to the ground any day than a fwa. In the future that may change though. The Ih transmission was a good over all design a few issues but nothing major. When we would see problems was turning them way, way up or pulling things not to be pulled by them.

Fieldman12
09-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Only other gripe I had with IH tractors was there where levers everywhere all around you. Deere always had a more nice neater layout I thought.There where allot of 1586 tractors in the area pushing way over 200 hp back in the day. They where a best. The old Case tractos where tough also. Some of them had rear end issues though.

Dirt Digger2
09-17-2007, 11:10 PM
hey fieldman this tractor is a little sloppy in the shift linkage on the dash...almost like everything needs to be tightened up a little, do yo have any experience with this?

Fieldman12
09-18-2007, 06:43 PM
I never have tore into one and tightened everything up. I know they can be fixed though. Seems like all of them have this issue with that style transmission.

DBL
09-18-2007, 06:48 PM
oh no you guys got another tractor ive always like the powershift what does the 4020 have

Dirt Digger2
09-18-2007, 06:54 PM
yo Tom...this babies mine, the dirt business has been good to me this summer...anyway steves 4020 has the same syncro-style tranny. I've only ever run 1 powershift and its nice but with the sync-shift theres a little less to go wrong.

DBL
09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
ive never been around a gas one ran a 3010 narrow front with a feed mill before ive heard the gas ones have just as much power and they get going to