PDA

View Full Version : Lawn renovation

kc2006
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm renovating the lawn at my house and wondering what you guys think would be easiest and yield best results. The area I'm doing is right under 2,000 sq ft, just sprayed it the other night, planing on doing this next wednesday or around then. I was going to just slice seed it, but I've decided to bring in top soil for a couple low spots. The low spots take up probably 500 sq ft of the front yard (almost half of it since the front is 1200 sq ft).

So I'm wondering how should I go about doing it now? Can you run a slice seeder on the added soil? OR should I slice seed the existing areas and just seed the new soil traditionally (spreader, rake it in and straw it)?

I don't have access to a dump, otherwise I'd skim the high areas and put new soil down over the whole yard.

Thanks for the help.

Smallaxe
09-14-2007, 11:42 PM
The best way to plant grass seed is to rake it into new loose topsoil. Using a broom rake of course.
Nothing to lose by slit seeding everything first. Straw is not usually necessary this time of year if you can water appropriately.
Running over the whole thing with a 1/4" tine thatcher to level and clean the dead debris works well. I watched a lawn put in this spring that way. I think the heavy thatcher conditions soil better than a scraper blade for levelling.