PDA

View Full Version : [B]Lawn Renovation With Pics[/B]

SpruceLandscape
09-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Hi everyone. Well, its that time of year in Ohio to start dethatching and overseeding. My neighbor and I have a decent amount of thatch build up, and seeing that I didn't get to overseed my lawn since it was put in in 2003, along with some damage that was done by the sprinkler company the last time they came out we figured we would get together and split some costs and do both at the same time. I did not put my own lawn in, it was done already when we moved in, so I'm not exactly sure what that particular companies proceedure was, I just know it was hydroseeded. I have a lot of pretty sparse areas where you can actually see moss growing on the ground in the front lawn, along with Potty spots from the dogs in the back lol. So, here are a few pics of what we are starting with just after I scalped the lawn down to a hair below 2". In some of the pics of the back yard you can see how tall the original grass was where the hill meets our backyards and some of the damaged areas in the front tree lawns from snowplows etc. this past winter. I'll keep everything updated as we move along with new pics.

SpruceLandscape
09-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Here's more of the same

SpruceLandscape
09-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Still more

SpruceLandscape
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
And finally some more:hammerhead:

dcgreenspro
09-15-2007, 04:39 AM
I am a bit confused as to why you are going to dethatch that lawn??? If thatch is a problem, you will remove more thatch aerating it verses dethatching. If it's a real problem, double aerate, overseed, drag and starter fert. You have an irrigation system, so you can run seeding cycles (frequent light apps to keep the seed wet) and get some nice germination. come back in a couple of weeks just in time to give the seed some last nutrients for the year and you should be good to go.

SpruceLandscape
09-15-2007, 08:52 AM
reason we are dethatching rather than aeration is because we live within just a few miles of lake erie. Anyone around here knows that there is no such thing as dirt, just clay and lots of it. I have an irrigation system, so my yard would probably plug just fine as long as it was moist, but my neighbor doesn't which puts him more at the mercy of the weather as to when we would be able to pull good plugs. I know this because I aerated mine last year and had very little success when the ground was hard (that was before the irrigation guy fixed my sprinklers). We will be starting things this morning, so I'll try and post some pics this evening if I get around to it. Thanks, C.

carcrz
09-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Just have him water heavily the day before. They sell sprinklers up there don't they?

HenryB
09-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Nine out of ten times de-thatching does a lot more damage than good. Especially on northern grasses.

hoskm01
09-15-2007, 10:55 AM
Looks good. It's interesting to see how it's done in other parts of the country. Here, 2" would be a shaggy lawn, 1/2 in. is a scalp.

On a lighter note, whats with the socks and sandals?

SpruceLandscape
09-15-2007, 09:47 PM
LMAO!! you got me Hoskm... I was white trashin' it big time. Finished up with the hard stuff today, I'll try to get some pics posted tonight of the thatching... Filled the truck today with the amount we pulled out. Yards are not very big here, only about 50'x130'

SpruceLandscape
09-15-2007, 09:55 PM
here they are... My neigbor Kirk is running the dethatcher in his yard in the one pic, the last one is the pile of thatch that I dumped at the nursery at the end of the day

ITL
09-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Spruce

Question. Wondering if you were needing to de-thach and over seed why not use a silt seeder and get both de-thach and seed at same time. When we slit seed existing lawns we have to rake off the brown thatch in the heavy areas to keep from killing off the new seed after it starts. Possibly the detacher pulls much more thatch then the slit seeder as I have never used a dethatcher.

Thanks for the picture narrative for a good understanding of the situation.

Wayne

SpruceLandscape
09-17-2007, 08:26 AM
we went with a dethatcher because we knew that Kirk's lawn at least would have a lot of material coming out of it. We decided that rather than raking all that by hand, it would be easier to suck it up with the Walker when we were finished and then just use a spreader for the seed and fert.

SpruceLandscape
09-17-2007, 08:44 AM
I should have specified... We use a lesco 80lb. cap broadcast spreader. We overseeded with their 50/50 mix of rye/kentucky blue on a setting of 9.5. We then used their 18-24-12 fert. on a setting of 15. We went through about 100lbs of fert between both yards, and approx. 80lbs. or so of grass seed. We split the spreading up, and I think that Kirk's walking rate was not quite as fast as mine, so we went through a little more seed than I thought we would, but not by much. I had guessed around 60 lbs. I'll keep posting pics once a week time permitting so that we can see the progress.

SpruceLandscape
10-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Hey everyone. For anyone who has been following this thread, its been 3 weeks since we dethatched and overseeded. I cut the lawns for the first time yesterday and will be posting some pics of the results probably later tonight or tomorrow.

Ramairfreak98ss
10-04-2007, 08:01 PM
is that your house spruce? i always liked your logo and all on the side of that truck, is that an 07? they sure look perdy :)

One day ill get to move to ohio or michigan, cant wait to get out of dirty jersey, lawn looks nice.

SpruceLandscape
10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Here are some of the pics from the front and side yards after mowing with a Walker MTGHS of both our front yards.

SpruceLandscape
10-04-2007, 11:15 PM
Here are some of the back yards. the sun was going down so it was kinda hard to get a good pic of the strips but you get the idea. Note the "wiss" spots from the dogs. Most old ones are filled in, but new ones took their place lol.

SpruceLandscape
10-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Ok... and back by popular demand...

... here's a shameless plug of my logo again :laugh:

tjsquickcuts
10-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Looks nice and green, but the cut isnt the best IMO.....My question is, why so much thatch if you have a bagger????

PlatinumLandCon
10-05-2007, 12:43 AM
Thats a wicked azz truck man. Thats my goal in a few years to have a truck like that.

Anyways, Beautiful results. Keep up the good work.

SpruceLandscape
10-05-2007, 05:16 PM
actually... they cut is pretty good, but it was in the late evening and the sun was hitting it in a wierd angle creating shadows from where the wheels rolled over the lawn, thats why it looks kinda choppy. I had thatch because the lawn was always mulched until this past year. Same with my neighbor. He only bags about every third week.

DoetschOutdoor
10-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Those lawns look really nice, excellent work! I agree that the cut could be improved to really make the lawn look nicer. What are all those wheel marks in the middle of your stripes? Is that from the back wheels of the walker?

RedMax Man
10-05-2007, 09:51 PM
That really came out nice. Good work. Nothing cuts like a Walker, they're awesome. BTW nice truck and trailer.

kc2006
10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I thought reintroducing clippings didn't cause thatch? The state must be lying to me.

Lawn looks good though.

Drew Gemma
10-05-2007, 11:32 PM
his thatch problem was mostly based on water and soil condition. Now that you have good seed in you need to plug that first of November and feed it fot the winter. I hate to say this but the less you water the stronger your turf will be. water just enought to keep it alive. the plants become hardy that way. great renovation none the less. Also long term keep plugin away as much as possible and use more organic products to help improve that soil also a soil test with amendment and aerration would really help that new turf

good job nice wheels

tjsquickcuts
10-06-2007, 12:02 AM
I agree that nothing cuts like a walker, but some high lifts and some side shooting would cut that fescue a lot better, but I still say the lawn looks great. Seems like the lawn might have been wet before it was cut or either that walker is too heavy for the lawn. JMO....

SpruceLandscape
10-06-2007, 01:10 AM
The lawn had been watered that morning, but nothing prior to cutting it. It was however about 6 inches tall before cutting and my blade height was set at 3.25". The wheel marks in the middle of the stripes are from the tailwheels. I opt for the split rear wheels instead of the larger single one because it tends to not tear up the grass when changing directions and turning at the same time as much as a larger single tire does, especially if its wet grass. I plan on aerating in about 2-3 weeks as stated above prior to winter treatment.

This is really the first year I have done anything other than some work in the spring to keep the lawn looking good. But, you can't have a truck with your name on it in the drive and have a crappy looking yard :hammerhead:

carcrz
10-06-2007, 10:00 AM
But, you can't have a truck with your name on it in the drive and have a crappy looking yard :hammerhead:

I've found that it's an excellent form of advertising to my new neighbors. Keep up the good work!

SwihartServices
10-08-2007, 05:33 PM
The lawn looks real nice.
Try feeding your dog tomato juice. I heard it's supposed to help with urine spots. Makes urine more alkaline or something.

SpruceLandscape
10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
lol Thanks for the tip. Hey, here's one for you if you have dogs. We have been feeding our dogs all raw meat for the past 4 years! I have two mastiffs that use that backyard 2-3 times a day and I haven't had to pick up "crap" in over 3 years now! They consume roughly 80 lbs. of meat every two weeks between the two of them (that keeps them a little on the leaner side, which is what I prefer) and I'll bet that the average Pug has more yard waste than they do! Best of all... after a day or two, it turns white and then literally becomes a powder and blows away! I can post pics of that too if you would like.. :laugh: Although I'll bet that most of you would prefer I didn't heh.

OUTLANDER
02-09-2008, 07:45 PM
if those spots are indeed urine spots ,i'd lime the yard too,but to me from the pictures i'd say grub damage,and you can plant new grass,but they'll just get fed better

SpruceLandscape
02-10-2008, 02:13 AM
I can see how maybe at first glance they look like grub damage, but they are in fact from the dogs' urine. I luckily have never had a problem with grubs except with a certain couple of yards of topsoil I brought in one year for flower beds from a certain supplier that I no longer go to.

lopomon
02-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I can see how maybe at first glance they look like grub damage, but they are in fact from the dogs' urine. I luckily have never had a problem with grubs except with a certain couple of yards of topsoil I brought in one year for flower beds from a certain supplier that I no longer go to.

what would be the name of this supplier? i live right by you

SpruceLandscape
02-16-2008, 10:47 PM
Stone quarters

lopomon
02-17-2008, 07:27 PM
yeah, we go there for most of our mulch, but go to earth 2 you for the topsoil.

SpruceLandscape
02-17-2008, 11:40 PM
I've had really good products from the Rock Pile. I'm based in North Ridgeville, so I'm pretty much smack in the middle of Stone Quarters, Bulk-n-Bushel, and the Rock Pile. Willoway nurseries is literally just a stone's throw away as well which is pretty convenient.