PDA

View Full Version : domoed a plugr pl850. not too impressed

grass disaster
09-14-2007, 10:11 PM
it's only pulling about 1/2 in plugs. the ground is a little on the dry side but i was expecting better results.

it seems to drive fine. somewhat hard to turn/control.

it's got the honda motor and it stalled a couple times and seems a little under powered.

is this all i should expect for plugs. do the different models pull better plugs?

lawnspecialties
09-14-2007, 10:14 PM
I think rodfather has one and he likes it.

I have a 600H. In my opinion, it's the best aerator out there for well watered lawns. It's one of the worst out there for dried out ground. Unfortunately, we've had a wicked drought this year.:confused:

grass disaster
09-14-2007, 11:41 PM
I think rodfather has one and he likes it.

I have a 600H. In my opinion, it's the best aerator out there for well watered lawns. It's one of the worst out there for dried out ground. Unfortunately, we've had a wicked drought this year.:confused:

so i have to wait till it rains? cause im not planning on telling customers to water.

rodfather
09-15-2007, 08:32 AM
Mine pulls great plugs. Used it twice the other day with excellent results. I don't run it at full power all the time cause sometimes I like to hold back on it letting it really till up the turf. If you are only getting 1/2" plugs, the ground is either way to dry or the tines need to be replaced.

When I am finished with mine, it looks like a bunch of geese crapped all over the lawn. :laugh:

grass disaster
09-16-2007, 09:08 PM
anyone else not too impressed?

i have a LCO that i do business with. he is bringing over his steiner with a 48" aerator. i'm going to campare it to that.

mdlwn1
09-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Nothing pulls plugs like a ryan lawnair 28....in lawns....trees....ashfalt...concrete..sprinkler pipe

daveyo
09-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Nothing pulls plugs like a ryan lawnair 28....in lawns....trees....ashfalt...concrete..sprinkler pipe

Now thats some funny stuff:laugh:

br549oicu8
09-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Just bought a Plugr 850. The crews like it fine but the ground must be moist, as with most aerators. We also have a Ryan Lawnaire V and a Classen Split Drive. If the ground is soft the Plugr is the best. Otherwise, the other machines, especially the Classen, will pull better plugs. As far as ease of use..the Plugr is much easier on the body...MUCH!!

grass disaster
09-17-2007, 05:50 PM
Just bought a Plugr 850. The crews like it fine but the ground must be moist, as with most aerators. We also have a Ryan Lawnaire V and a Classen Split Drive. If the ground is soft the Plugr is the best. Otherwise, the other machines, especially the Classen, will pull better plugs. As far as ease of use..the Plugr is much easier on the body...MUCH!!

as far as ease of use.....

i had another LCO stop by with his http://www.steinerturf.com/products/tractors/430_max/

with the front mount aerator with down pressure. this thing was about as easy as you can get on the body. it pulled excelent plugs in the hard ground.

willretire@40
09-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I am going to buy an 850 this week. Well after I demo one that is. Right now the dealer has it on order and it should be here this week. Right now i am going off pure reviews from lawnsite.

syzer
09-17-2007, 11:35 PM
Wow, this is the frist negative I have ever read. I am about to order the pl850. How much better are the other machines? today we used a turfco and aryan lawnair 28 and neither were pulling really great plugs but in the softer spots. Your saying the plugr will give less results? Every the blue bird pull behind wasnt doing much in some spots.

willretire@40
09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Just went to dealer today and got a plugr 850 that was demoed for only $3080.00 with full warranty. They also have the 800 for only $2200 it also was a demo.

rodfather
09-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Just went to dealer today and got a plugr 850 that was demoed for only $3080.00 with full warranty. They also have the 800 for only $2200 it also was a demo.

very nice savings :clapping:

grass disaster
09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
i still have the aerator and i get one more day to try it out. it's been raining here. so i'm sure it will be night and day difference.

mdlwn1
09-19-2007, 08:43 AM
syzer..if you couldn't get good plugs from a ryan 28......LOL....I just don't know what to say. Only a hand grenade will do more damge to the ground.

Stillwater
09-20-2007, 11:33 PM

that classen split drive is excellent

syzer
09-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Just ordered our plugr 850 today so will find out soon how it works.

mdlwn1:
Im not sure if it was the 28, just a rental with the typical turning tines in the rear. We also had a blue bird, and a turfco. All rentals. My guys were beat by the end of the day, they all seems to do the same with the ryan being the best.

SLC, LLC
09-21-2007, 11:57 PM
I love mine. Hard turf or not - i'm pulling pretty good plugs. It obviously works better with moist turf, but I think it's great!

J&T Kiev
09-22-2007, 12:23 AM
I bought the PLUGR this spring and love that machine. So very easy to use. With softer soil I believe the Plugr will be a great unit and will make you a lot of money. Pulls the best plugs and is very easy to turn. No stop- drop wheels- turn- pick up wheels- make another pass and do it all over, like my Ryan LA IV and V.

mdlwn1
09-22-2007, 01:53 PM
The 28 punches into the ground from a cam shaft type of thing.

HydroRI
10-13-2007, 11:04 PM
I had the Plugr 800 with the Briggs Engine. I really liked the balance and ease of use but the inclines were a killer. I traded it in for the PL 850 Hydro with the Honda Engine. It almost seems like it does not have as much power as my 800. The 850 has stalled a few times especially if a large rock is hit underground. The hydro drive is definitely a big advantage over the 800 model. I also use mine for ground prep for hydroseeding The drive wheels are variable speed so you can slow the machine down and have the tines really tear the crap out of the soil, kinda like shallow tilling perfect for a seed bed.

I am not too familiar with the workings of the actual cam system. When I hit rocks and the machine jolts all over the place I wonder what damage I am doing if any to the machine. Also I would expect the cams to take more grease. I am only able to get just about one pump for each cam with the gun which surprises me. I would think since the cams are spinning the fastest they would eat up the most grease. Does anyone understand why they take very little grease before it is spurting out the sides of the cam or am I doing something wrong?

onebreezer
11-19-2007, 02:55 PM
What is the best way to get a high volume of jobs for my plugr 850 in a tight area?