PDA

View Full Version : Gutter cleaning a good service?

stevenf
09-15-2007, 03:32 AM
Are most gutter cleaning jobs during the winter? Is there a high demand for this? Any info appriciated.

topsites
09-15-2007, 03:47 AM
- Are most gutter cleaning jobs during the winter?
Year round, I think.

- Is there a high demand for this?
Are you afraid of heights?
Single story, no.
Two story, whoa!

$100 an hour if you get it down right.
Less if you don't feel like falling :laugh:

Vikings
09-15-2007, 11:13 AM
It's hit and miss. I don't charge by the hour but price the jobs most two storys are $85 but I have some that are $200.

It can be dirty work, you need at least a 32 foot ladder, and 20 ft ladder and even a 16 ft. (No point in getting a 28' and 24' because they are too close to being the same).

Most jobs I do are in spring and fall but we have 4 seasons here and snow season is 5 months long.

DuraCutter
09-15-2007, 11:07 PM
It's hit and miss. I don't charge by the hour but price the jobs most two storys are $85 but I have some that are $200.

It can be dirty work, you need at least a 32 foot ladder, and 20 ft ladder and even a 16 ft. (No point in getting a 28' and 24' because they are too close to being the same).

Most jobs I do are in spring and fall but we have 4 seasons here and snow season is 5 months long.

One thing to consider. WCB deems it illegal to climb above a one storey structure with a ladder and no tie off. Over one storey, you'll need a full body harness and a tie off on the roof.

KNOW YOUR SAFETY. Anyone doing this everday could be shut down and if an employee gets hurt.... you're probably out of business and sued from here to he**.

:)

deere615
09-16-2007, 02:07 PM
I do alot of mine in the late fall and spring. It is a very messy job but is good money. like everyone else said you need a few ladders. Make sure you have a good ladder and not a shakey wooden one!

mojob
09-16-2007, 02:32 PM
I've found that there's enough to keep you busy in this business without risking falling off a roof. I'll do it for my really good customers (more as a favor), but I don't advertise this service.

ExecutiveLawns
09-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I sell the gutter cleaning as an upsell to the normal lawn clean ups that we do in the spring and fall. It is usually an addition $50 charge added to the $39 per man hour for the lawn clean up. we just usually get up on the roof and blow the gutters out with a leaf blower but sometimes its too wet and you need to just do it by hand and bucket(which that take more time but your getting paid by the hour anyways) if you blow the gutters out when its all wet the leaves and muck usually finds itself back to teh side of the house and then you have a not so happy home owner.

scagwildcat
09-18-2007, 08:07 PM
the only leaves i clean are on the ground, its not worth the risk!

crazymike
09-18-2007, 09:12 PM
use a good blower like a redmax and blow your brains out.

RegalLawnCare.Com
09-19-2007, 06:50 AM
I don't mess around with this work. It's too dangerous, and there a plenty of companies in my area that do gutter work only, and for a lower price than I want to do it for.

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
09-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Gutter work is good here. Especially with existing customers. Average price is 80 bucks for existing customers. I usually tie it in with a pressure washing the house. I have to admit... I shy away from jobs that don't have underground utilities!
Jay

Lawnut101
09-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I guess for me it depends. It is good money, but I think that you have to know your limits. For instance, I have no problem doing it on a one story house, but I don't think I would do it on a 2 story house. Too much liability.

greenerman
09-19-2007, 08:07 PM
Easy money! but be very careful!!!

Dunlaps LawnCare
09-27-2007, 09:00 PM
$80 a hour or $80 a job

09-27-2007, 10:14 PM
80 dollars per job. In most cases, its less than an hour. I'll use a piece of PVC to break up the stiff stuff... blow all the down spouts up then hit the main gutters with the blower.

LushGreenLawn
09-28-2007, 07:45 AM
For you guys that are using blowers...about 70% of my customers have called me to do their gutters because the last guy used a leaf blower and got crap all over the place. Homeowners are not happy when you are done.

I get alot of repeat business just because I clean them by hand. And when I have a customer ask me why I am more expensive than joe blow, I explain to them that I hand clean vs. using a blower, and almost everyone has signed up based on that fact alone.

Just food for thought, you may be able to charge more to to it the old fashioned way. I am getting .75 a linear foot. for a single story with a roof I can stand on and goes up from there. I can do a ranch house in around 30 min and bring in $120

09-28-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm operating on the same lines as Lush Green. I use PVC pipe to break up the stuff, hand throw the debris to the ground, then blow out the gutters until there is nothing left. I find this method to be quite effecient. I also have an attachment for my pressure washer. But at 4500 psi and 4 gpm's, it creates quite a mess... even when I adjust to a much lower pressure. The first method is the way to go... just know that 80 bucks is for my current customers only!
Jay

LushGreenLawn
09-28-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't toss on the ground, I put it in a bucket, and then dump into a garbage bag. It takes a little longer, but when I'm done there is no trace of debris on the lawn whatsoever.

I am thinking about getting a gutter vacuum when I have a few more clients to make things go faster. Google "Gutter King Vacuum"

Americal Vet
09-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't toss on the ground, I put it in a bucket, and then dump into a garbage bag. It takes a little longer, but when I'm done there is no trace of debris on the lawn whatsoever.

I am thinking about getting a gutter vacuum when I have a few more clients to make things go faster. Google "Gutter King Vacuum"

Has anyone here ever used one of those?

Vikings
09-28-2007, 11:04 PM

That's exactly what you're supposed to do. These guys that say they just blow every thing out all over the ground and the house, I wonder if the ever cleaned an Eavestrough. I would lose my customers if I did that, I have gotten hell even when I thought I was doing a good job. I even clean the area at the end of the downspout if too much crap, roof gravel, whatever, piles up there.

Very rarely is the yard so full of leaves that I can get away with throwing stuff of the ground, however, I have been known to throw clumps into bushes if there's no customer around.

I spray off the sidewalks, driveways to if I made a mess.

I googled Gutter King Vacuum and nothing came up.

Vikings
09-28-2007, 11:06 PM
I wonder if a heavy duty Shop Vac with an EXTREMELY LONG hose would be useful. Probably too much twigs and stuff like that would clog it up.

09-29-2007, 01:16 AM
Well, when its thrown on the ground, its either mulched when I do the yard, or blown to the driveway or street and vac'ed up with my leaf vac.

LushGreenLawn
09-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Alright,
I should have tried the search before I posted. I can no longer find the gutter king, but check out www.upkeeper.com

Check out their gutter vacuum. Looks similer to the gutter king that I saw. They have some videos. Runs like $1600 bucks though

Vikings
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Alright,
I should have tried the search before I posted. I can no longer find the gutter king, but check out www.upkeeper.com

Check out their gutter vacuum. Looks similer to the gutter king that I saw. They have some videos. Runs like $1600 bucks though

Is that a little wonder vac they jerry rigged? I don't think I would take a chance on something like that. I would rather try my own shop vac on my own eaves but the tube isn't long enough.

LushGreenLawn
09-30-2007, 09:08 AM
I've tried a shop vac with long tubes, it dosen't have enough suction.

After more investigation, the $1600 price was for a used unit, not a new one. They want almost 5K for a new one. WAY too much.

I found another company that has one that runs off of electric, basically a shop vac, but "they claim" with a more powerful motor. they want around $700 for that, so I may try that with a small generator. They also sell a camera for $300 that attaches so that you can visually check the gutter as your cleaning to make sure its clean.

Even with one of these machines, I would still want to use a camera or ladder to make sure it was actually clean before I left.

Runner
09-30-2007, 01:06 PM
They HAVE to be kidding....After seeing the videos, I am convinced. This is one of the cases that some machines are just impracticle. Using THAT thing, you'd HAVE to charge well over a hundred dollars. On the second gutter video, by the time that guy reached the half way point of the one side of the house, the whole house could have been done INCLUDING the entire roof blown off, the downspouts cleaned and TESTED (they don't mention anything about THOSE), and the deck area all blown off. I couldn't imagine what your neck and shoulders would feel like afterwards, either. Actually, it can be done by hand faster than this....
The main thing in doing gutters, is to KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Check with your insurance carrier and get he necessary coverage for this. It is not that much more. I have purchased the difference, and it is not what we thought it would be. This work is such a small part of our gross, that it wasn't that bad. It is not like getting insurance for downing trees or something.

Sweet Tater
09-30-2007, 03:29 PM
Found this for a wet/dry vac..... http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916935000P?vName=Tools&cName=Wet-DryVacs&sName=Filters%20&%20Accessories&psid=16137808&sid=ISx20070515x00001c

Vikings
09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
I

After more investigation, the $1600 price was for a used unit, not a new one. They want almost 5K for a new one. WAY too much.

WHOA!!! If you going to spend that much money might as well get into the vent cleaning business. My brother in law expanded into that and is doing quite well, but they piggy back off their larger carpet company and I think that equipment cost $25k.

But for GUTTERS (lol) Ladders, Buckets, hose, also screw driver and some sheet metal screws for minor repairs, garbage bags. All you need. oh and someone to do all the work.

green-pa
09-30-2007, 10:01 PM
What about the shingle bits if there is any, u know the little fragments? It's hard to get them all by hand and they just sort of stay there. A blower would surely get em all over the place and make a mess right? But how about using a hose with a sprayer attatched to get a bit more water pressure? Wouldn't that just rinse it on down the spouts? What do u do if there is much of this stuff?