PDA

View Full Version : Advertisement

GLS
09-17-2001, 09:17 PM
I have a little lawn care business going, and have seen other businesses with little signs on the doors of their trucks. I thought this might be a good way to get a little more business.

My first question: How much do these signs cost?

My second question: Do they have such a thing as magnetic signs that can be taken off when "off-duty"? The truck I use isn't really mine. Thanks a lot!

stslawncare
09-17-2001, 09:35 PM
signs are a great source of advertising if not one of the best. yes they do make magnetic and i believe thats what most people use. i am not sure of prices thouhg, sorry.

LoneStarLawn
09-17-2001, 09:36 PM
I moved this thread here because it talks about Marketing which is under Elements of Business

1MajorTom
09-17-2001, 09:43 PM
Go to Yahoo. Type in "magnetic truck signs." There are a bunch of sites listed. I'm not advocating buying online. If you can support a local business I would say that would be your best bet.
In the meantime, you can check out these sites which can give you an idea on pricing and sizes.

bkd
09-17-2001, 09:53 PM
I have 3 magnetic signs on my truck. On each door and a longer rectangle for my tailgate. I have my business name, phone, and my name in the colors I wanted for about $100. Hope this helps!

CandJ
09-17-2001, 09:56 PM
I bought magnetic signs locally and they cost me about $50. (for 2 signs that are 16X20 or so). They are simple signs and the most cost effective I could find. They are dark green lettering over a white background and say "C&J Lawncare" with my phone #. No fancy pictures or anything like that. You should be able to easily find someone who makes them in your area.

09-17-2001, 09:58 PM
Here's a couple of threads from the "archives" in which magnetic signs are mentioned:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=17092&highlight=Truck+Lettering

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=11809&highlight=Truck+Lettering

Sammy
09-17-2001, 11:58 PM
In most states it is the law that you have your name and location on both doors of your truck.:)

TotalLawn
09-18-2001, 12:26 AM
$50 for 2 magnetic signs. See the pic

I have received some new jobs by having them!!

LAWNGODFATHER
09-18-2001, 12:50 AM
To answer your 2nd question. Magnetic signs are made to be removed easily. So easy some one can steal them too. Or when driving down the road they can fall off.

Price $50 and up. All depends on your area.

Getting more cleints. I've had to remove them becase, I could not answer all the phone calls I got.

Yes they work, but I perfer to not use them any more. But on the other hand, I am having permanent signs put on the trucks to keep employees in line. Not for new biz. Name and #. It would be done already but time has not allowed me to.

LGF:blob1:

XOFMOT
09-18-2001, 09:02 PM
My signs cost $120.00 for the pair. I also have one on the tailgate ($45.00)

Stonehenge
09-18-2001, 10:40 PM
I think it's better to go with permanent lettering if you can...If the sign can be taken off in 2 seconds, what might that imply about the business when the customer has a problem? Not to say something bad WOULD happen, just that the customer may think that. But if the vehicle isn't yours, magnetic will likely be the way you have to go.

As for laws on signage, in WI you only are required to have a sign when the GVW is 26K or over.

Lastly, I've found that signage adds credibility, implies stability and longevity, and those are all important. But don't expect the phones to start ringing because of the signage on your truck. In my 5 years of biz I've had 2 calls come in because they got the name/number off my truck.

Lanelle
09-18-2001, 11:56 PM
In our area magnetic signs are popular due to homeowner association rules. Many prohibit the parking of vehicles with signs in the neighborhood overnight. A pick-up with signs is a commercial vehicle. No signs---just somebody's truck.

kutnkru
09-21-2001, 04:35 PM
When I first started out I took a piece of marine plywood and had it cut down the middle lengthwise. I then cut the ends to a 45* and put on a coat of primer. Next I painted it white, and then used blue and green to letter the sideboards:
Pro Turf Landscaping
Design - Installation - Maintenance
(607) 555 -7890

I fastened 3 pieces of 1x stock with lag bolts and then slid them into the pockets in the bed of the truck. I had these for the first 3-4 seasons and then as we upgraded to larger vehicles we had the trucks lettered professionally.

The original set-up cost approximately $50 and the prof set-up ran close to $250.