PDA

View Full Version : Am I Doing This Right?

willjones4
09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Hello everyone. I have been a lurker up to now. I have an older John Deere and some homeowner equipment that I have used to make my foray into the lawn biz. I started by looking for tall grass with for sale signs stuck in it. I have managed to pick up about 5-6 accounts (thru the realtors) plus the occasional extra here or there. I usually just stop and knock on doors if the grass looks like it needs mowing. Surely there is an easier way to get customers. This spring I will but some commercial equipment and I want to be able to justify its cost. Also, I bet I see 10 lawn crews with ztr's and all the goodies if I drive across town. Can I compete?

MowHouston
09-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone. I have been a lurker up to now. I have an older John Deere and some homeowner equipment that I have used to make my foray into the lawn biz. I started by looking for tall grass with for sale signs stuck in it. I have managed to pick up about 5-6 accounts (thru the realtors) plus the occasional extra here or there. I usually just stop and knock on doors if the grass looks like it needs mowing. Surely there is an easier way to get customers. This spring I will but some commercial equipment and I want to be able to justify its cost.

If you've got the time, print out some little flyers, hit a neighborhood in your service area and spend a couple of hours putting those on doors. I got a few customers like that in the beginning before I started my marketing online.

topsites
09-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Now I'm not trying to scare you off the site because I'm not here to do that, but...
Because I do hope you stay, I do hope you succeed and become such a hard core competitor that you give guys like me a serious run for the money and I hope the many Lco's here can guide you there as well, nothing personal, 'k?

But you just might be the funny guy riding around and stopping on one of MY accounts, I lost a couple this year because of this crap, then again the customers were not my hottest but still... Now I could not tell you exactly what I would do if I were to encounter someone cutting on one of my lawns, but it is only a matter of time before that decision must be reached and I hate to say it but in some ways I can't WAIT lol.

I cut my lawns HIGH in the summer, and even other times some get away from me but don't think I'm not on my way or that I've just forgotten about it, again I'm not trying to scare you off the site but this is very uncool, man.

That and those realtors can't possibly be good business.

So I would suggest running some advertising for starters, even flyers would be a big improvement.
And best of luck!

willjones4
09-18-2007, 12:48 AM
I cut my lawns HIGH in the summer, and even other times some get away from me but don't think I'm not on my way or that I've just forgotten about it, again I'm not trying to scare you off the site but this is very uncool, man.

These lawns Im stopping on dont have anyone cutting them. The ones that do tell me so and I dont try to lowball or anything. I just leave my info and thank them for their time. The realtors are sucky accounts but I have to feed my kids, ya know? Thanks for your good wishes and best of luck to you as well. I was just trying to get some idea of how to get accounts without knocking on doors. Most people dont like that much anyway and they look at you funny as hell when they answer the door...

mudwisr2
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
I started by word of mouth. I would tell everyone you talk to what you are doing and work will mysteriously, lol, start showing up. Give it time. You can also hand out flyers.

TPnTX
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
what a jerk-off

not you willjones4,
Man you are in Shreveport freaking Lousiana. I've spent a lot time there in the last 2-3 years and there is no limit to what you can do. Its grassville and st. augistine to boot. You might as well be in Florida.

Get you a good walkbehind to start off with and eventually a ZTR. Nevermind all the other LCO's driving around, there are plenty of yards. Once you get a decent mower, print some flyers and start passing them out. I'd start over in the Bert Coons area where all the big homes are.

good luck.

willjones4
09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
what a jerk-off

not you willjones4,
Man you are in Shreveport freaking Lousiana. I've spent a lot time there in the last 2-3 years and there is no limit to what you can do. Its grassville and st. augistine to boot. You might as well be in Florida.

Get you a good walkbehind to start off with and eventually a ZTR. Nevermind all the other LCO's driving around, there are plenty of yards. Once you get a decent mower, print some flyers and start passing them out. I'd start over in the Bert Coons area where all the big homes are.

good luck.

Thanks, dude. I am going to use my tax refund to get some good equipment. I should have around $4000 to spend. Right now Im using all my homeowner stuff and a 1993 John Deere 38" tractor. :cool2: Hey, sometimes you gotta go with what you got and work up, right? That JD does pretty good job, too. My wife just got a job and before that she was in college for 5 years. We also had a baby (number 3) during that time. So the last few years has been hard times. I been pulling a heavy wagon alone for a while. Im making it though...Thanks again for the encouragement.

TPnTX
09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
no prob, keep your eye out for a 36" scag or toro. You should be able to find one for 1000 - 1500.00 in good shape. It may take a while don't buy junk, wait for a good one. With a mulching kit and sharp blade you can mow the st. Augustine like crazy. You can get in gates with one of those and it can make you a lot of money.

Next get a jungle jim velky. Its bad-azz and once you learn to ride good you'll be glad you have it.

I used a murray48" for a long time. They really are junk but hey like you said.