PDA

View Full Version : Looking to go on own!

jeffchis
09-17-2007, 09:45 AM
I am currently looking to go out on my own and just curious what sort of income one could expect as a NET take home the first year in the business? If I started marketing now for the spring, and got maybe 30 clients the first year. 30 clients would be just a goal to shoot for the first year though!

Thanks

Sydenstricker Landscaping
09-17-2007, 10:22 AM
in your first couple years, dont expect to get rich. Sometimes you may break even, other times not so good. But I could be wrong, you may excel and make decent money your first year. It all depends on what equipment you have or are buying, prices, saturation of other lco's in the area, and overall net income of your service areas. That will play a major factor. If you havent gotten any equipment yet, dont go crazy and buy a whole truck and trailer full of shiny new stuff. Spend wisely and get some decent used stuff. Look at my signature, total there wasnt even 20k including the truck. If you are good with tools, you can make the used go a while, then as you get more accounts and money, start buying used. But again this is my two copper pieces, so do what is right for you.

jbannick18
09-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I personally wouldn't buy a mower used if its on the older side. I purchased a used mower and have had the bearing freeze up which could possibly end up in needed a new transmission if jd messes up the axle trying to get the tire. I guess im trying to say is that new mowers + warranty on them is the way to go imo. I got a Toro 36 hydro and have 2 year commercial warranty

Lawnut101
09-17-2007, 02:46 PM
I disagree. If you buy good used equipment you should be fine, because you really aren't gonna be using your equipment much the first year, until you get a few accounts. Then once you do, you can take out a loan or pay cash on something a little better. Also, if you don't get enough jobs, you won't have to worry about paying for a $4-6k lawnmower. It's a lot easier to pay off a $1-3k machine. I bought a Snapper walk behind for $1100, and I like it. I'm just now thinking of getting another walk behind, probably exmark, but that's because I want to be more productive, and I have some money saved up from my jobs. Great luck to you!

ed2hess
09-17-2007, 09:36 PM
In our area you get about $900 per customer on average and you should expect your profit margin to be around 50%. Could be better if you watch what you buy. Obviously if you go to upscale customers and do more stuff on each account like irrigation, mulch, bush trimming, fertilizeing etc. etc. those 30 customers could bring you in a lot more.