PDA

View Full Version : Prices on 297C

GMUGNIER
09-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello all - can anyone tell me what the best prices you have seen on the 297 from CAT? I am getting a fully loaded machine - should be here by Nov 20 and was just trying to keep my local dealer honest like the rest of us.. - One more thing - the pattern control option control was not a option on the order sheet can anyone tell me if this is a dealer add item or if it from the factory - and what is the order code?

Thanks

Gus

Scag48
09-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I would guess that the pattern changer is a factory option, but I could be mistaken. Now that the controls are E/H, it may only be a matter of adding some software to the system and the physical hardware to change between patterns may already be there.

iron peddler
09-17-2007, 06:02 PM
the pattern selector is dealer install option, install a rocker switch and flash software and it is ready to go.

GMUGNIER
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Ok - I feel better about the pattern control button - now for the prices - anyone?????

iron peddler
09-17-2007, 10:59 PM
how is configured...do you know what packages you ordered? comfort and performance? single speed? single or dual level suspension? etc. if you want to pm with that info and your price i will tell if it was fair.

GMUGNIER
09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
It's got every option - except the rotating beacon

Equiped as follows:

258-3297 297C MULTI TERRAIN LOADER
Standard Equipment:

CONTROLS -Electro/Hydraulic Implement Control, RH Electro/Hydraulic Hydrostatic Transmission Control, LH Hand and Foot Throttle

ELECTRICAL-12 Volt Electrical System90 Ampere AlternatorIgnition Key Start / Stop / Aux SwitchLights:- Gauge Backlighting- Two Rear Tail Lights- Rear Working Lights- Two Adjustable FrontHalogen Lights- Dome LightBackup AlarmHeavy Duty Battery, 880 CCAOPERATOR ENVIRONMENTGauges :- Fuel Level- Hour MeterOperator Warning System Indicators:- Air Filter Restriction- Alternator Output- Armrest Raised / OperatorOut of Seat- Engine Coolant Temperature- Engine Oil Pressure- Glow Plug Activation- Hydraulic Filter Restriction- Hydraulic Oil Temperature- Park Brake EngagesAdjustable Vinyl SeatFold In Ergonomic Contoured ArmrestControl Interlock System, when OperatorLeaves Seat or Armrest Raised :- Hydraulic System Disables- Hydrostatic Transmission Disables- Parking Brake EngagesROPS Cab, Open, Tilt UpFOPS, Level ITop and Rear WindowsDeluxe HeadlinerFloormatInterior Rear View Mirror12V Electric Socket,Horn

POWERTRAIN-Caterpillar 3044CDIT Tier II CompliantDiesel Engine 90 Net Horsepower @2500 RPM- Fuel Priming Pump Glow Plugs Starting Aid- Liquid Cooled, Direct InjectionAir Cleaner, Dual Element, Radial SealS-O-S Sampling Valves, Engine Oiland Hydraulic OilFilter, Spin on, HydraulicFilters, Bayonet-Type, Fueland Water SeparatorTilt Up Radiator / Hydraulic Oil CoolerMuffler, StandardSpring Applied, Hydraulically Released,Wet Multi Disc Parking BrakesHydrostatic TransmissionRubber Track Drive (18" Wide)
200lbs Counterweights
OTHER STANDARD EQUIPMENT-engine Enclosure - LockableExtended Life Antifreeze (-37C, -34F)Machine Tie Down Points (4)Coupler, MechanicalSupport, Lift ArmHydraulic Oil Level Sight GaugeRadiator Coolant Level Sight GaugeRadiator Expansion BottleCaterpillar Tough Guard* XT HoseAuxiliary, Hydraulics, Continuous FlowHeavy Duty Flat Faced Quick DisconnectsSplit D-Ring to Route Work Tool HosesAlong Side of Left Lift ArmElectrical Outlet, BeaconBelly Pan CleanoutPer SAE J818 May87 and ISO 5998: 1986Rated Operating Capacity :At 50% Tipping Load- 4200

258-3224 INSTRUCTIONS, ANSI, NACD
258-4095 BELT, SEAT, 2"
258-2519 ENGINE, TIER II COMPLIANT
258-3791 QUICK COUPLER, HYDRAULIC
258-2568 HYDRAULICS, HIGH FLOW XPS
258-3681 ROPS, ENCLOSED WITH A/C (C3) Cup Holder, Radio Ready, Air Conditioner Including Heater/Defroster, Side Windows
258-4330 SEAT, COMFORT, AIR SUSPENSION
258-4080 DOOR, CAB, POLYCARBONATE
258-3759 PACKAGE, PERFORMANCE, (M3) Dual Level Suspension Undercarriage, Self Level,Two-Speed, Advanced Machine Information and Control System (AMICS)
233-5913 INSTRUCTIONS, ENGLISH

- and I know I am getting a fair price -but that is not what this thread is about - I am interested in what everybody else's prices are looking like -
I basically want to know whats the best price I can get.

Please reply if you can help..

Thanks

Gus

Scag48
09-18-2007, 02:17 PM
If the price sounds good to you, what are you waiting for? If you think getting prices on here and taking them into your dealer is going to do you any good or make them want to sell you a machine any more than they already do you're mistaken. If the price is fine with you and you don't feel like you're getting screwed, just bite the bullet. Haggling the dealer to save a few extra bucks will bite you down the road if you ever need anything in a pinch from this dealer. Just my .02

iron peddler
09-18-2007, 06:04 PM
have to agree with scag on this one, dealer to dealer pricing can be a little different, some dealers may be get better pricing than others based on volume of sales. if you are positive it is a fair deal and you and the salesman worked out then it likely was a fair deal for your market. i doubt a price i would give you would be much than 2 percent difference either way.

iron peddler
09-18-2007, 06:07 PM
oh the best price is what the servicing dealer in that area that you buying it from can give you...cause if another dealer out of the area gives you a better deal and still warranties it or has to travel to service it, would be silly to lowball the deal.

dozerman21
09-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Guys, it sounds like he's just trying to see what other people have paid for their machine to make sure he's not spending thousands more than he should. No offense to anyone, but why not just give him some figures if you know? At least a throw him a bone. I don't have any idea what they're selling for. The closest thing I've heard to a price is "about 5% more than a 287B" from a Cat salesman (which I'm guessing it's more than that).

Granted some guys will get better deals than others due to location and their relationship with their dealer and previous purchases. I don't blame him for checking on prices whether he thinks his quote is fair or not, especially if he hasn't bought from that particular dealer in the past. I'm not saying he should nickel and dime them to death, just keep them honest so it's an even deal to both parties.

RockSet N' Grade
09-18-2007, 10:36 PM
I have no idea what they are going for......but I would like to know also. If it is close to what I just paid for my Gehl, I may follow Constructo's advise and trade it in on a Kitty-Cat........assuming Constructo will make up the depreciation difference in the machines. Shoot, what am I thinking.......CAT may give me a new C Series machine as a straight across trade :) Then I woke up.....

Construct'O
09-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I have no idea what they are going for......but I would like to know also. If it is close to what I just paid for my Gehl, I may follow Constructo's advise and trade it in on a Kitty-Cat........assuming Constructo will make up the depreciation difference in the machines. Shoot, what am I thinking.......CAT may give me a new C Series machine as a straight across trade :) Then I woke up.....

There's Dream World:drinkup: !!!!! Real World ! Then there's Nightmare World:cry:

You most have been in your Dream World:dancing: Got Pic's:usflag:

iron peddler
09-18-2007, 11:56 PM
i am not trying to bust his chops dozerman, and i realize what he wants, maybe if he would throw out there the ballpark he is looking i would help him out...your estimate of 5% over 287B is close and he has an additional $5500 or so in 2 speed, dual level undercarriage, and amics package....congrats on your purchase and i will step out of the thread unless asked a direct question:drinkup:

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 12:00 AM
I would like to know myself also what they cost. I usually price several dealers around. Maybe if I get time tomorrow at the Farms Science Review I might price one if I get time. There is dealers that if you are not in there area they wont sell you one. I ran into that when I was looking for a Deere skid steer. Others have mentioned this also.

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 12:01 AM
We have been known to go to other states for farm equipment. Im the same way for excavating equipment if the price is good.

GMUGNIER
09-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Hey guys I am not trying to be a AHOLE here - but come on - I am a fairly educated guy that was trying to get some info from the masses here - I thought that was what the Internet was all about - I have over two million dollars in heavy iron sitting in my front yard - I am not trying to beat anybody up here on prices - I think I started the whole thread by asking a very civil question - why is every body trying to jump my shi&*%t? -- Please people understand me here - I just want to know what is everyone paying for this particular piece of equipment - I don't want to know what the price of rice in china is (Oh by the way it is .20c a ton!)- nor do I care If the price that I pay is fair or not - I just want to know -- WHAT IS THE BEST DEAL I CAN GET? -- I don't think that is a unreasonable request, and if it is then why do we come on the Internet to share info?? - Is it only for Billy Bob that knows the guy who's sister is married to Jolene's best friend? And if so -- then Jolene's best friend - who - by the way just so happens to be married to Billy bobs half uncle - Dan - who lives in Taiwan - whom also sponsors this Internet site - Dan will you please find out what is the best price that I can get on my 297C???

PALEASE????

SiteSolutions
09-19-2007, 01:32 AM
Hey guys I am not trying to be a AHOLE here - but come on - I am a fairly educated guy that was trying to get some info from the masses here - I thought that was what the Internet was all about - I have over two million dollars in heavy iron sitting in my front yard - I am not trying to beat anybody up here on prices - I think I started the whole thread by asking a very civil question - why is every body trying to jump my shi&*%t? -- Please people understand me here - I just want to know what is everyone paying for this particular piece of equipment - I don't want to know what the price of rice in china is (Oh by the way it is .20c a ton!)- nor do I care If the price that I pay is fair or not - I just want to know -- WHAT IS THE BEST DEAL I CAN GET? -- I don't think that is a unreasonable request, and if it is then why do we come on the Internet to share info?? - Is it only for Billy Bob that knows the guy who's sister is married to Jolene's best friend? And if so -- then Jolene's best friend - who - by the way just so happens to be married to Billy bobs half uncle - Dan - who lives in Taiwan - whom also sponsors this Internet site - Dan will you please find out what is the best price that I can get on my 297C???

PALEASE????

If I knew what one costs, I would tell you. You really don't have to throw a fit over it.

And as far as the "BEST DEAL YOU CAN GET", nobody knows but you. The deal I could get here in Alabama from a dealer I have never bought from, may be the best deal I can get. Scag can probably get a better deal since he practically bleeds Cat Yellow. I think TigerRotor actually has worked / does work for Cat, he might get an employee discount. But that is not your situation. Everyone is different. Do a little shopping around by asking people who actually have 297s for sale. Do some homework for crying out loud. Nobody here is jumping your shiznit, that I've seen. And not everyone here has a new 297, (although most of us wouldn't complain if one fell from the sky)... so we, the masses of the internet, can't satisfy your unnatural lust for instant gratification just this second. If you wouldn't mind to calm down a little, I could call the Cat guy here tomorrow and ask him what he wants for the new hi-flow machine he has sitting on his yard.

Come to think of it, the best deal you can get is probably the deal you just got. Since the parts for your new machine are already being stamped out and stuck together, you probably have a better idea than most of us what a new 297 costs... I mean, when you ordered this thing, the salesman did tell you what it would cost, right?

Scag48
09-19-2007, 03:14 AM
If I knew what one costs, I would tell you. You really don't have to throw a fit over it.

And as far as the "BEST DEAL YOU CAN GET", nobody knows but you. The deal I could get here in Alabama from a dealer I have never bought from, may be the best deal I can get. Scag can probably get a better deal since he practically bleeds Cat Yellow. I think TigerRotor actually has worked / does work for Cat, he might get an employee discount. But that is not your situation. Everyone is different. Do a little shopping around by asking people who actually have 297s for sale. Do some homework for crying out loud. Nobody here is jumping your shiznit, that I've seen. And not everyone here has a new 297, (although most of us wouldn't complain if one fell from the sky)... so we, the masses of the internet, can't satisfy your unnatural lust for instant gratification just this second. If you wouldn't mind to calm down a little, I could call the Cat guy here tomorrow and ask him what he wants for the new hi-flow machine he has sitting on his yard.

Come to think of it, the best deal you can get is probably the deal you just got. Since the parts for your new machine are already being stamped out and stuck together, you probably have a better idea than most of us what a new 297 costs... I mean, when you ordered this thing, the salesman did tell you what it would cost, right?

Amen brother.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/Railslider/logo_cat.gif

:drinkup: :drinkup:

qzilla
09-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Well if I remember correctly my dealer was quoting in the 68-70K for a loaded 297C. That was high flow, L2 suspension and the works. We did not get a few of the more trivial items but, the more expensive stuff we looked at.

Now, I quoted so many dang things that I might be totally speaking out of turn but, that is what I recall.

I ended up with a wheel machine which is what I though to start with and it was about $52K before I added the flat free tires and a grapple and stuff. I think the tires were right at $2K.

dozerman21
09-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Well if I remember correctly my dealer was quoting in the 68-70K for a loaded 297C. That was high flow, L2 suspension and the works. We did not get a few of the more trivial items but, the more expensive stuff we looked at.

Now, I quoted so many dang things that I might be totally speaking out of turn but, that is what I recall.

I ended up with a wheel machine which is what I though to start with and it was about $52K before I added the flat free tires and a grapple and stuff. I think the tires were right at $2K.

68-70K!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cat's going to have a hard time selling them at 15K more than the competition, even if it may have a few more creature comforts. You're starting to get into dozer money. Nice looking machine, but not at those prices.

qps
09-19-2007, 08:15 AM
How much did you pay?/? I'll tell you if you got a good deal or not...really doesn't matter..if someone tells you a cheaper price you'll think you got ripped off, you have to buy from your area anyways, cat sets it up that way....if I dealer rips your head off on a deal it usually happens only once:hammerhead:

iron peddler
09-19-2007, 10:27 AM
i can tell you that in my area a competitive manufacturer quoted a T320 gold package, hi flow, pilot controls loaded machine for 66K...I was within a coulple of grand with 2 speed and dual level supsension that adds around $4500...most of the machines are falling in pretty close to each other, pricing can also be regional to what you are competition is. no hard feelings to the pricing question, maybe everyone else is afraid to say what they are paying because we all may say they got screwed.

and those of you buying out of dealership area be careful, i have had customers that in the past have bought out of area, and it almost seems like karma that you will have something happen. there are penalties that dealerships have to pay if they get caught (5% or more) and that can sometimes take away from post sale support if they have to pay it. Used machines and rental converisons go for it, i am all for guys finding a good deal:clapping:

Construct'O
09-19-2007, 10:33 AM
When i was at my Cat dealer(midwest) and looked at the 297C,which i was going to demo.But all they had was a rental from their rental fleet and they was preping it to go out that day ,so didn't get to run it.

I never asked the price,they know i owned a Deere 332 CTL and was wondering if i was interested in switching over.Which i told them it only going on 2years old and still owning on it and my age i wasn't really interested.So we didn't really get into trade, pricing.

They did say around 70K to me also,and i told them that was about the price of my first Cat dozer.Which at the time was a new D6C it was like 72k in 1975,then you have taxes on top of that??????

So sounds like anything under 70k your getting a good deal(each to his own when it comes to a good deal) with all the options.Good luck!

Construct'O
09-19-2007, 10:41 AM
i can tell you that in my area a competitive manufacturer quoted a T320 gold package, hi flow, pilot controls loaded machine for 66K...I was within a coulple of grand with 2 speed and dual level supsension that adds around $4500...most of the machines are falling in pretty close to each other, pricing can also be regional to what you are competition is. no hard feelings to the pricing question, maybe everyone else is afraid to say what they are paying because we all may say they got screwed.

and those of you buying out of dealership area be careful, i have had customers that in the past have bought out of area, and it almost seems like karma that you will have something happen. there are penalties that dealerships have to pay if they get caught (5% or more) and that can sometimes take away from post sale support if they have to pay it. Used machines and rental converisons go for it, i am all for guys finding a good deal:clapping:

Cat dealers all have the sales area,they have to sell new in their area,or like you say have to pay penalties.Just the way Cat has it set up to protect their dealers.

It is not the best for customers wanting to go to other dealers.Which not only because of prices ,but might be service and warranty issues?

Sounds like to me by the above guote that any where between 65k and 70k with all the options you would be getting a good deal.There you go your tip for the day:cool2:

I have bought from new from another Cat dealer,it has been awhile tho.Just go for late model,low hour used machine then it is open game for everyone.:usflag:

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Well I went to the Farm science review today and looked at at 287C. It was a very sharp looking machine inside and out. It was pretty much loaded. They wanted $68,000.00 for it and a 297C was almost 78,000.00... I thought that was a bunch of money for a machine. They kept wanting to bring one out. I must say I love Cat equipment but I dont think I could afford that.

RockSet N' Grade
09-19-2007, 07:15 PM
I don't feel so bad about buying my Gehl now........and Constructo, just to take the pressure off, I don't think I will be making any trades :)

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 09:26 PM
The only thing I did not like about the machine besides the price and maybe still the undercarriage is I thought the cab was a little tight on space. I mean sitting in the seat I felt like it was cramped. If a guy had a descent size excavating business than it may help pay for this machine but at close to $80,000.00 I just dont see how a guy can justify that. You could find a real good dozer for that. A dozer will get more money per hour and by the job than this MTL. A guy to stay in business having an MTL like this would have to charge allot more per job to make it.

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
My old Deere may be plain jane but after that sticker shock I kind of lost the lust for the Cat.

qps
09-19-2007, 09:48 PM
but at close to $80,000.00

Asking and getting are two different things totally...trust me...I got one sitting in my shop:weightlifter:

iron peddler
09-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Well I went to the Farm science review today and looked at at 287C. It was a very sharp looking machine inside and out. It was pretty much loaded. They wanted $68,000.00 for it and a 297C was almost 78,000.00... I thought that was a bunch of money for a machine. They kept wanting to bring one out. I must say I love Cat equipment but I dont think I could afford that.

List prices there fellas...everyone calm down a little bit....if you bought a B series mtl or ssl you can figure about 3-4% of increase for a C series. The 297 and 272 are a different animals all together. Let me know what dealer can get 78k out of 297 cause I want to work there.

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 10:34 PM
The 287C that was $68,000.00 was on the paper work they had with them. I asked how much more for the 297C. They said depends on what is on it but between $7,000.00 and $10,000.00 more. Now that figure came off the top of there head. This was the Ohio Cat dealer that gave me that price. Now if a guy could deal with them on that price the answer is probably. How much is the question. I went to a Case dealer and looked at a 445CT that is a little smaller machine. He said he just sold a new plain one for $45,000.00. He seemed to think one with cab, air, and heat would have not been much more than $52,000.00. Again this figure was off the guys head but either way which one do you think Im going to consider first? Yes it is al little smaller but the price is a good bit.

Fieldman12
09-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Like I said they offered to send out a demo and get a sales rep to call me. I was not interested in buying so never dug deeper. Personally for me $68,000 to $78,000 is way too much for one if these.

turboawd
09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
wow. i dont predict many people jumping to get a cat.
sure the cab is nicer and pressurized, but the rest is mostly similar, right? same drive system?

Tigerotor77W
09-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Let me know what dealer can get 78k out of 297 cause I want to work there.

It sounds like you work at a Cat dealer -- wouldn't happen to be Patten, would it? Or Altorfer? (Those are my two local dealers; Patten is my hometown; Altorfer, university.)

And turbo, I don't see the conversion happening until two things happen: the C-series proves its durabililty to be as good as its cab; the prices fall. I'm not sure the second one will materialize, but the first one has a long fight ahead of it, too (though promising).

iron peddler
09-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Like I said they offered to send out a demo and get a sales rep to call me. I was not interested in buying so never dug deeper. Personally for me $68,000 to $78,000 is way too much for one if these.

i agree with you that those are steep numbers to consider....the 297 is close to 7k higher than the 287 and with that I will leave it alone. not to cut another dealer or salesman because i am not sure what pricing structure or negotaition plan they may have but i will not be able to sell one for that kind of money...no where close to that..i could see if there was 3 years of full machine warranty on the 297 it will get rich but maybe they are better salesman at Ohio Cat. thumbs up to them and for that money I hope they support the product because it is a better performing machine than we have had in the past...time will tell i guess:drinkup:

SiteSolutions
09-20-2007, 12:54 AM
I stopped by and spoke to the local dealership. I heard numbers around 68,000 for the 287 and around 72,000 for the 297.

Hope this information helps.

qzilla
09-20-2007, 12:56 PM
You guys know better than me but, I would think those that need an MTL would be doing a LOT of jobs that would NEVER allow a tracked dozer to be around??

I would think any landscaping work or loading work done in severe conditions a dozer could not handle at all??

I just think that is comparing apples to oranges.

For me, I looked at them but, the $20K addition of the tracks was not justified and I went with a wheel loader and steel tracks.

I also think if you were to run the current machines side by side you would be able to justify the CAT over a direct comparison to any other brand. I did this and while I feel the other machines are good machines they were not much cheaper if any in most cases and the CAT is 150% more comfortable with more features.

iron peddler
09-20-2007, 05:34 PM
once again i will say that i want to work for those dealerships that are seliing at that number....those are real close to list price numbers... i would assume that those dealers are being real careful with pricing and they would negotiate off those prices.

iron peddler
09-20-2007, 05:36 PM
by the way i joined this forum to learn what your concerns are not to slide a deal in... you guys have taught me alot on what your issues are and hopefully i can help with real specs and real world issues

dozerman21
09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
You guys know better than me but, I would think those that need an MTL would be doing a LOT of jobs that would NEVER allow a tracked dozer to be around??

I would think any landscaping work or loading work done in severe conditions a dozer could not handle at all??

I just think that is comparing apples to oranges.

For me, I looked at them but, the $20K addition of the tracks was not justified and I went with a wheel loader and steel tracks.

I also think if you were to run the current machines side by side you would be able to justify the CAT over a direct comparison to any other brand. I did this and while I feel the other machines are good machines they were not much cheaper if any in most cases and the CAT is 150% more comfortable with more features.

Comparing a dozer to a CTL/MTL IS apples to oranges. The dozer reference was just a comparison of numbers. Most new finish dozers start at around
70K and go up from there. A dozer is a big chunk of iron that will usually get more money per hour or job than a CTL. They are both great machines with different expectations. I have both, and carry them together to most jobs. They work very well together and cover a lot of bases. I use whichever machine is faster for the application.

I haven't operated the C Series (I'd like to), and I'm sure they are very nice machines and the cabs sound awesome. Hopefully all other companies will take notice. I couldn't justify the extra money though just for the benefits of the cab and somewhat smoother ride, especially on a machine where the previous series had many concerns with the tracks. I'm sure the stated prices of around 78K are list prices, but that means they're still selling for what, 65K-70K?

I got my CT332 for 12K-15K less, and it's as good as any IMO performance wise. All it really needs is a pressurized cab like Cat. I'm sure the price of the 297C will drop down some over time. I think they'll have to since most other CTL's can be had for much less.

If the prices of skids/CTL's don't slow down some, I'm going to hang on to mine for a few years longer than I thought I would. I thought 50K+ was a lot! If I were shopping for a CTL right now, I'd definetly look at the Cat's, but I'm pretty sure the price would keep me walking. The current market won't let you charge more to cover the extra expenses.

Construct'O
09-20-2007, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure how much Cat will drop down,but as others come out with their new cabs and control sytems they will also go up !!!!!! To what extent who knows?????

For me also i'll be keeping mine for a longer time,and ride out the rush to see who will be coming out with the newest and greatest?

They will surly even out here soon on their pricing i would think for the CTL/MTL's.

I plan on keeping the best of care of my machine as long as i can,and still do the work the best as i can.

My sitution is quite abit different then other as the way i use mine and the way it generates money.

Working mostly just in dirt(mud) is a plus as far as machine life and resale.At least i hope so?:dancing: Time will tell !!!!!!!

Machine will probably out last me?????:usflag:

Fieldman12
09-20-2007, 10:26 PM
Dozerman21 and Construct'O have made good points and they say exactly what I'm saying/thinking. I bet I could get one for less than this $78,000.00 dollar price they threw at me but it don't matter to me because even at lets say I could get one for $65,000.00 in my opinion that is way, way, to much. A CTL/MTL has advantages and there is no doubt about it. My honest opinion though is I would rather settle for a little rougher ride and not as fancy of a machine inside than to pay a price like this. In my honest opinion if they get these prices for these machines there at some point has to be a serious adjustment in the price per hour to charge to run these machines on a job. A dozer will get more money per hour to operate. Another thing like Dozerman21 stated is Cat has been known in the MTL line to not have a good undercarriage. I mentioned this to the Cat rep.and he did not hesitate to tell me this undercarriage is redesigned and does not have the issues. No matter if it does or does not have the issues I am a little hesitant of it. I could see myself now going to bid a job with a new Cat machine. I tell the customer I have to charge him lets say $85.00 an hour to run the machine. If he has done any research at all they will know they can get a skid steer for much less. To the average home owner a MTL/CTL is no more than a skid steer to them so why should they pay more for it? A dozer and a MTL/CTL are totally different machines that are each good at there on task. It is known though if you have allot of serious dirt or so on to move you need a dozer.

dozerman21
09-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Machine will probably out last me?????

Construct'O- I doubt you'll get 40 more years out of that Deere!:)

You know you'll be hogging dirt and knocking over trees in that ol' D6 for a long time to come!:weightlifter: :drinkup: :usflag:

iron peddler
09-21-2007, 11:37 AM
fieldman i encourage my customers to charge 85.00 an hour. they don't tell there client that it is that much but when they bid jobs i tell them to have in the back of their mind to think of that rate. mtl usually get the job done quicker than a ssl so it becomes relative. doesn't matter what brand of mtl you have the operating costs just don't work at 60-65 an hour.

#1 Catman
10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Sounds like Sticker shock is maybe an issue. Let me tell you how I am dealing with it. I look at it this way. The cost of machines go up, So what. We all wanted a better machine, cabs, power, performance, etc. Well we got it. Oh by the way $2.85 - $3.00 per gal of diesel.......... Did not expect that. Milk $4.00 gal. Wow times have changed. Well my 277A is still getting $100 per hr.
With fuel prices rising my new 277C and the 277A will be getting $150 per hr. Now it is all in how you charge you jobs. Remember, the work is out there, if the machines and fuel go up 3-4% I guess the jobs will go up as well.

RockSet N' Grade
10-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Once again it comes back to the ability to market, sell and then perform the work. I would love to be able to get $100 hr. for a skid, yet the environment in which I am located does not support that either in commercial or residential. If you can bid and land a job, the opportunity is certainly there. I wish I could figure out for myself how to get $100-150 hr. for a skid on an hourly basis.....maybe Catman would share their market niche?

#1 Catman
10-02-2007, 08:43 PM
Well............ I am in residential land clearing. The big guys turn this work down because there equipment is 1 to big at times or 2 cost to much to move to the job for a few hrs. Think about this, You have the back .5 -1 acre that you never touched before. Would you bring in a track loader? So I bring in my 277. Spend a few hrs and wala.. Cleared. $3-$400 or 3-4 hrs is worth it.4-5 of those a week I'm happy. now a lot goes into this. What do you do with the debris? thats my secret. How do I maintain everything else that also is a secret. but you get the picture. I focus on all the small jobs that no one in my area wants.

YellowDogSVC
10-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Guys, it sounds like he's just trying to see what other people have paid for their machine to make sure he's not spending thousands more than he should. .
Agreed. When people ask me for prices, I don't play a game with them like a lot of sales people do. That game playing can send someone packing to another manufacturer until they find someone who wants to work with them.

YellowDogSVC
10-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Well............ I am in residential land clearing. What do you do with the debris? thats my secret. How do I maintain everything else that also is a secret. but you get the picture.

so what do you do with the debris?

turboawd
10-02-2007, 09:41 PM
so what do you do with the debris?

he digs a hole on the property and buries it.:D

#1 Catman
10-02-2007, 10:43 PM
he digs a hole on the property and buries it.:D

Ya, big hole. Not really. Oh ya, my other secret.

YellowDogSVC
10-02-2007, 10:53 PM

How much does that wood hog weigh?

I use a bc2000 w/loader and brush grinder for my skid to get rid of the brush.

#1 Catman
10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
oh about 30,000 lbs Great on fuel, 12-14 hrs on a full tank.

YellowDogSVC
10-02-2007, 11:45 PM
#1 Cat, I have been looking into that line of work. Only dealer around here, though, is Vermeer, and they don't have anything in that class machine. I also looked at Bandit 2680.

We have juniper trees up to about 20" around here and dead live oaks. Everything else is mostly brush and limbs so I wanted to go with a smaller grinder vs chipper which kills me on blades. I can spend 2-4 hundred a month on blades if I am chipping half the month plus down time to change them. I haven't changed a tooth on my brush mower since last November... grinding is the way to go.

2004F550
10-03-2007, 03:44 PM
went to the dealer today to look at a D10R in their yard and get some parts so I checked out the 297, very nice machine from the looks and the feeling...didn't run it but hopefully sometime soon.

#1 Catman
10-03-2007, 10:13 PM
#1 Cat, I have been looking into that line of work. Only dealer around here, though, is Vermeer, and they don't have anything in that class machine. I also looked at Bandit 2680.

We have juniper trees up to about 20" around here and dead live oaks. Everything else is mostly brush and limbs so I wanted to go with a smaller grinder vs chipper which kills me on blades. I can spend 2-4 hundred a month on blades if I am chipping half the month plus down time to change them. I haven't changed a tooth on my brush mower since last November... grinding is the way to go.

This is very costly to operate, but if you have a market to sell the mulch it is a good deal providing you can do the maintence yourself. Keep in mind every 60 - 80 hrs I will be replacing teeth. $$$$$$$$? If I could have done it over I would have purchased a Cat 297C w/ the new HM315 Mulcher. Cat has done extensive testing and has design the new mulcher around what the market wants. I demoed this. Incredible performance, power to the head, quick and let me tell you after 8hrs of nonstop operation in 95 degree heat, this beast did not even get warm. NO OVERHEATING. WOW............ Check into this. It's a better deal that the $170,000 for the hog.:cool2:

GradeMan
10-03-2007, 10:34 PM
so u guys will mulch half to a full acre for 500? :confused:

Carson Irrigation
08-28-2009, 10:17 PM
I was quoted 85,500 for a fully loaded 297c.

WillieWonka1850
08-28-2009, 10:30 PM
I usually see ones with about 200-300 hours for around $60K
Not bad for a 297C, IMO. But as a price overall, really expensive.

WillieWonka1850
08-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Nice Morbark. They're actually from Michigan, the factory's in Winn (about an hour from me)
I've seen one of their big Tub Grinders in person, what a beast! 1,000hp CAT Diesel.
Self loading even!

ksss
08-29-2009, 12:23 AM
This is very costly to operate, but if you have a market to sell the mulch it is a good deal providing you can do the maintence yourself. Keep in mind every 60 - 80 hrs I will be replacing teeth. $$$$$$$$? If I could have done it over I would have purchased a Cat 297C w/ the new HM315 Mulcher. Cat has done extensive testing and has design the new mulcher around what the market wants. I demoed this. Incredible performance, power to the head, quick and let me tell you after 8hrs of nonstop operation in 95 degree heat, this beast did not even get warm. NO OVERHEATING. WOW............ Check into this. It's a better deal that the $170,000 for the hog.:cool2:

CAT didn't design that head. Its a FAE, and as of this Spring you could not get the CAT head with the new style pump like you can on the FAE branded attachment. I spoke with CAT and FAE. Same head except with the newest version that has the load compensating pump on it. Costs an additional 2K.

GMUGNIER
08-29-2009, 02:34 AM
Well - I have a brand new 315 mulcher head with less than 50 hours on it that I would be willing to take a beating on the price - if anyone is interested in it - I bought it with the intent on getting more clearing jobs but my primary commercial dirt work has been too overwhelming to really start anything new at this time - I bought it at the same time as my 297C and I recently sold it with a ton of attachments for 59K - let me know if anyone is interested in the mulcher................

MackCat
08-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Well - I have a brand new 315 mulcher head with less than 50 hours on it that I would be willing to take a beating on the price - if anyone is interested in it - I bought it with the intent on getting more clearing jobs but my primary commercial dirt work has been too overwhelming to really start anything new at this time - I bought it at the same time as my 297C and I recently sold it with a ton of attachments for 59K - let me know if anyone is interested in the mulcher................
I`ve Been thinking about buying a HM315 for my 297C. What are you asking for it, and where are you located?

GMUGNIER
08-29-2009, 01:03 PM
I am located in Covington Louisiana - and I am open to offers however please be aware that the attachment new is over 25k and I have only used it once - no damage whatsoever to the carbide teeth and I made CAT replace all hoses when I bought it because the literature said it came with the special heavy duty CAT hoses but it only came with the Gates hoses - cosmetically, and mechanically in excellent shape...

MackCat
08-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I am located in Covington Louisiana - and I am open to offers however please be aware that the attachment new is over 25k and I have only used it once - no damage whatsoever to the carbide teeth and I made CAT replace all hoses when I bought it because the literature said it came with the special heavy duty CAT hoses but it only came with the Gates hoses - cosmetically, and mechanically in excellent shape...
How well did your 297C run the mulcher? Does it bog down in heavy cutting? Do you have any pictures of the HM315 you could post? Thanks.

ccstrebe
08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
I paid $69,000 plus tax for my 297C. Fully loaded including the pattern changer. Also got zero percent financing on it.

qps
08-29-2009, 11:52 PM
I must have stolen mine:cool2:

ccstrebe
08-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I must have stolen mine:cool2:

What did you pay?

qps
08-30-2009, 12:40 AM
What did you pay?

pm me for info...

stuvecorp
08-30-2009, 03:03 AM
I paid $69,000 plus tax for my 297C. Fully loaded including the pattern changer. Also got zero percent financing on it.

CC, want to know a fun fact? You could have bought almost all of my equipment for that - as in my truck, two skids and excavator for that. I know pointless info but I should go to bed now.:hammerhead:

ccstrebe
08-30-2009, 12:05 PM
CC, want to know a fun fact? You could have bought almost all of my equipment for that - as in my truck, two skids and excavator for that. I know pointless info but I should go to bed now.:hammerhead:

After five years and four different machines I was just glad to finally find a machine that would do what I needed it to do without beating me to death and in a quiet and comfortable cab that when I got out I was as clean as when I got in and didn't have the same amount dust on me as if I had been in an open cab. And to have enough power and traction to run my scarifier and laser box.

It was only 5 grand more than what Case was quoting me for a boat anchor, err........I mean 450ct.

GMUGNIER
08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Here is a pic of the 315 and the 297 - I am looking for video. It is a beast - and Please send me your offers - I did indicate that I am willing to take a beating..

GMUGNIER
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Here is another pic working on a 289

GMUGNIER
08-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Here is the original pic this one may be better.

http://westernstatescat.com/BSG/This%20Week%20in%20Pictures%20Library/Beltram-Edge-Tool.jpg

tbi
08-31-2009, 12:30 AM
For 80K it better be able to blow you on the fly and clean up when it's done.

MackCat
08-31-2009, 09:05 AM
Here is a pic of the 315 and the 297 - I am looking for video. It is a beast - and Please send me your offers - I did indicate that I am willing to take a beating..
Do you have any pictures of the actual HM315 That you are wanting to sell? I would like to see the actual mulcher before I could make an offer.

GMUGNIER
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes I will try to take some this week - I sold my 297 and I dont have any thinkg big enough in the yard to move it around - will try to get some in place if that is ok..

MackCat
09-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes I will try to take some this week - I sold my 297 and I dont have any thinkg big enough in the yard to move it around - will try to get some in place if that is ok..
That would be great. Thanks.

GMUGNIER
09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Just out of curiousity - if you are interested what is your interest price?