PDA

View Full Version : New Card; Need help

Chris J
09-17-2007, 05:33 PM
OK Gang. I'm working on a new card for another mail-out, and I need your help. This is how the card looks so far, but the pictures will be rearranged or changed as needed.
What I need right now is some good, constructive criticism. Specifically for the front of the card. I'm trying to think of some kind of new tag line so the front won't be so plain looking, but I am stumbling. Some of the ideas I've got have been stolen (either out of stuff I've seen in the past, or from dreams I have had) the ideas for tag lines are as follows:
None
Illuminate your dreams
Curb Appeal
Curb appeal...defined
Architectural and Landscape Lighting
Experience the difference
Specializing in Creative Lighting Design
Be the envy of your neighborhood
Beauty...Security...Value
Beautify Your Home While Protecting Your Family!
Embracing The Night
The fine art of landscape illumination
Discreet.... Elegant.... Inviting...
"The Premier Outdoor Lighting Solution"
Discover the Richness of the Night...
Professional Outdoor Lighting....
Professional Outdoor Lighting... .....adds Beauty, Security & Value
Bringing Your Home to Light

Anything anyone else has to offer would be great. I've done so many of these now that it is all starting to become fuzzy to me and nothing looks interesting anymore. Please help if you can.

bmwsmity
09-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Hmmm... Here are some ideas:

Premium Landscape Lighting
Premium Outdoor Lighting
Revealing the Beauty of Your Home at Night

Just a few.

JoeyD
09-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Bring Your Home Out Of The Night And Into The Light

copyright Joey DiGiovanni Inc.
for use please contact and write a check or send bottle of Makers Mark

:drinkup:

Chris J
09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Check. Bottle is coming with me to cali next month. Keep em coming genious!:clapping:

JoeyD
09-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Well Well!! I guess that means you are 100% or am I still hanging on 99%???

Chris J
09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Don't just get stuck on the tag line, tell me what you think about the card itself. Do you like the layout? Do you think it's appealing? Anything about it that you would change? Don't hold back; you know I wouldn't hold back on you! Any input, good or bad, would be appreciated.

JoeyD
09-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I like to have one main eye grabbing photo. Something that makes them want to frame that post card.

But I do like your layout. It definitly says what you do which is important. You want the reader to know that this guy designs and installs his own jobs. I like your photo selection here, you show a few different jobs with different scenes. I think you are definitly on the right track.

Chris J
09-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Oh, sorry Joey. 100%. By the way, Just spoke to one of my friends in Central FL. who is getting pretty disgusted with his product line and is feeling the same way about Unique as I am. He does about 1 mil/year in lighting sales, and might be interested in the trip. Any room for him if he can make it?

Chris J
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
Yes, the photo's were not my selections. The graphic artist has my entire portfolio, and he simply dropped pics in to fill the card. I'll have to rearrange the photos and change them out to better pictures later.

JoeyD
09-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Oh, sorry Joey. 100%. By the way, Just spoke to one of my friends in Central FL. who is getting pretty disgusted with his product line and is feeling the same way about Unique as I am. He does about 1 mil/year in lighting sales, and might be interested in the trip. Any room for him if he can make it?

I will figure this out. I will email you on this!!

David Gretzmier
09-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Embrace the Light. Chris- Something I'm gonna try is putting a new number on cards to a "track phone" a pre-paid cell that will work for a year. the next 3 mailers I do will have that number to guage the number of calls I get specifiacally from the card. It'll cost me a hundred bucks or so, but worth it to track sales from cards directly. After 3 mailings I'm gonna go back to my tried and true number.

what would you say is the percentage return you get on your mailings? I am looking to spend 3-6 grand on 3 mailings of 1000-1500 each over the next 4 months, one for Christmas and 3 for landscape lighting. would it be reasonable to expect 20k, 30k in work? more/less? my population count is probably 4-500,000 here, but I am aiming for the 350k and up homes, so that list is much smaller, closer to 2500 homes or so.

JC Lighting
09-18-2007, 02:06 AM
Chris,

I like the layout of one larger photo on the front with three smaller ones down the side. However, lighting on the facade of the house is not every client's cup of tea. (I found this out the hard way when I showed a similar photo of my work with no other examples to a perspective client. I told him this was only an example and that I could feature the house less and the landscape more but the power went past my words and to the photo.) To demonstrate that you have a wide variety of approaches I would suggest that you replace one or two of the small photos with examples of lighting on trees, flowers, walks, etc.

Jim C.

Eden Lights
09-18-2007, 03:11 AM
What would you say is the percentage return you get on your mailings? I am looking to spend 3-6 grand on 3 mailings of 1000-1500 each over the next 4 months, one for Christmas and 3 for landscape lighting. would it be reasonable to expect 20k, 30k in work? more/less? my population count is probably 4-500,000 here, but I am aiming for the 350k and up homes, so that list is much smaller, closer to 2500 homes or so.[/QUOTE]

2500 Homes @350K and up. My guess would be if your card is really good you would get about 2-5 Calls and about 10K in work on the Landscape lighting side.

bmwsmity
09-18-2007, 08:52 AM
What would you say is the percentage return you get on your mailings? I am looking to spend 3-6 grand on 3 mailings of 1000-1500 each over the next 4 months, one for Christmas and 3 for landscape lighting. would it be reasonable to expect 20k, 30k in work? more/less? my population count is probably 4-500,000 here, but I am aiming for the 350k and up homes, so that list is much smaller, closer to 2500 homes or so.

2500 Homes @350K and up. My guess would be if your card is really good you would get about 2-5 Calls and about 10K in work on the Landscape lighting side.[/QUOTE]

I do some direct mail, but not much due to cost.

When working with a limited budget, it is much more effective to mail to a small list multiple times rather than a large group once or twice. Repetition is key.

Many direct mail studies have proven that it takes at minimum 3 mailings to get results, but for best results you probably need something more like 8-10 mailings.

For example, there is a subdivision where I live with about 100 homes that are all $1mil+ that I have done two jobs in before. Probably 75% of the homes have 10 year old systems that are slowly going to crap and needing to be completely replaced. These are decent size systems, like 50-75 lights each. I mail to this subdivision about 2 times a month. I've mailed to it about 5 or 6 times now, and have only received one call that didn't turn into a job.

The funny thing is, one of the jobs I got there was referred to me by a landscaper right after I did a mailing. So there was a need, but the letter just didn't get me that call.

My main objective in doing these mailings is to consistently create awareness of my company in that subdivision so when someone DOES try to find a lighting contractor they remember me.

My strategy here is to mail to highly targeted prospects that have a real need for my services. Additionally, I am able to give references from people that live within the subdivision, which is a huge advantage. The quality of the list is essential. I get the names and addresses in that subdivision by looking them up on the county's tax record website for free. It takes more work and time doing it this way rather than buying a list, but it saves big money. Generally, my total cost per piece is about $0.56 with postage. $.10 for envelope, $.5 for printing, and $.41 for postage. The postcards I get are free via the Kichler Premier Contractor program.

klkanders
09-18-2007, 05:37 PM
Wow 3-6k might get u 10k in work. David give me the money and a ticket to Vegas cuz I think I can do better for you. No guarantee but neither is getting any work and besides I will have fun with your money! I agree with Eden tho and think his numbers would be closer than what you are hoping for. Who knows really until after you take the gamble.

bmwsmity, There is a subdivision similar to that going in about a mile from me. Our landscape division has already done some work for the developers around the office and you can bet that I will be pushing lighting heavily. I agree with your 3 or more mailings to get and hold attention but I am not a big fan of them. I know the more I get the quicker I dont read them on the way to the trash. Maybe its just me. I have said it before on here.... I would buy that landscaper and or any builder in that subdivision repeated lunches for considering and referring you on any upcoming jobs. Also if possible get with the customers you have already done a job for and keep them happy as well. Maybe keeping your sign up on their yard or putting it back out once in awhile especially during parade of homes or similar events that would bring in additional traffic. This I beleive would get you the attention you are looking for. Take Care and Good Luck!

Chris J
09-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Embrace the Light. Chris- Something I'm gonna try is putting a new number on cards to a "track phone" a pre-paid cell that will work for a year. the next 3 mailers I do will have that number to guage the number of calls I get specifiacally from the card. It'll cost me a hundred bucks or so, but worth it to track sales from cards directly. After 3 mailings I'm gonna go back to my tried and true number.

what would you say is the percentage return you get on your mailings? I am looking to spend 3-6 grand on 3 mailings of 1000-1500 each over the next 4 months, one for Christmas and 3 for landscape lighting. would it be reasonable to expect 20k, 30k in work? more/less? my population count is probably 4-500,000 here, but I am aiming for the 350k and up homes, so that list is much smaller, closer to 2500 homes or so.

It is really hard to determine a percentage due to the fact that some homeowners will hold on to the card, but they won't call right away. This is exactly why I strongly recommend that you don't use the tracking phone numbers unless you are going to keep that phone number indefinitely. I have customers who held on to my card for as much as three years before actually calling. They could be building a home, or whatever, but some people know they want to do it but it is just a little further down on their list of priorities. Instead of using the tracking number, although convenient, just get into the habit of asking your callers how they heard about you and develop a system of keeping a record of where your customers come from.
As I said earlier, each demographic is going to respond differently to different advertising mediums. If I send out cards to 1,000 addresses, I would expect that to result in about 2-4 jobs. Therefore, for me, if I spend $400 I expect my roi to be around $10-20K (That's about one half of one percent response rate). Remember this though: once you get into a neighborhood, yard signs and word of mouth start happening which starts the snowball that originated from the card.

Eden Lights
09-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Here is a new card for us, went out to the printer today. 5000 cards for $750.00 total. (120lb 6x9 card stock, gloss finish w/coating, front full color and back will be black and white, 1900 of them will already be addressed from the printer with my mail list.)

Feedback?????????????

Chris J
09-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I like it a lot. It says exactly what you are all about, and lets the customer know you are probably not going to be cheep. What does the back have on it? Do you have more pictures or just text? I've done it both ways, and I can't honestly say which one works the best.
By the way, nice work on the home. I especially like how you have minimal glare coming from the uplights on the trees.

David Gretzmier
09-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Eden- Nice card. very good job on the home, excellent distribution of light on home. Is that a real sky?