PDA

View Full Version : Rock Grapple Bucket

Candersen10
09-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Anyone have any luck using rock buckets? I have a 150 acre farm in Pennsylvania and plan on purchasing a rock bucket from unlimited fabrication (http://www.unlimitedfabrication.com/) to use with my JD CT332 to remove rocks from plowed & disced fields. Does this sound like a plausible application?

RockSet N' Grade
09-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Buying an implement/bucket is an interesting adventure. What kind of steel for the body of the bucket? What kind of steel for the wear strips? What thickness and hardness are all these items? How much does it weigh? Are the wrappers and end plates A36 or A50 steel? As far as the grapple goes - the type of material questions still apply and more: what kind of cylinders and hoses do they use? How wide does it open? Don't just look at price ( as KSSS ) has so wisely advised me........look at the quality and the nuts and bolts of the item or you will use it up and spit it out and end up buying another one....
I looked at unlimited's site and I could not find spec's on their steel.....that's why I threw this out there.

NHMan
09-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Buying an implement/bucket is an interesting adventure. What kind of steel for the body of the bucket? What kind of steel for the wear strips? What thickness and hardness are all these items? How much does it weigh? Are the wrappers and end plates A36 or A50 steel? As far as the grapple goes - the type of material questions still apply and more: what kind of cylinders and hoses do they use? How wide does it open? Don't just look at price ( as KSSS ) has so wisely advised me........look at the quality and the nuts and bolts of the item or you will use it up and spit it out and end up buying another one....
I looked at unlimited's site and I could not find spec's on their steel.....that's why I threw this out there.

Excellent advice:clapping:

Candersen10
09-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I have a root grapple made by Unlimited Fabrication which has been a terrific product. On my CT332, which is obviously a very powerful machine, I have been able to remove probably close to 100 stumps without any problems so I assume that the company's Rock Grapple bucket is very well made. What I mean to ask is whether or not a rock bucket would work well for removing rocks from a disced/plowed field? Has anyone had experience doing this? Thanks.

mkrol
09-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Hi Canderson10. Here are some pics of what I use to pick field rocks. The bucket is a Rock Hog, and has replaceable tines. Unfortunately I believe Rock Hog is no longer in business. They were based in Wisconsin, but can't find them on-line anymore.:confused:
I bought the bucket used about three years ago and has been a great tool. I use it mainly to pick rocks on 78 acres of farmland, but have also used it to move pallets, load shingles on a roof, move brush, etc. I really like the extending tines, which allow you to dig any imbedded rocks. I have dug 500+lb rocks with this bucket and have never yet bent a tine.
How well a rock bucket works depends of course on it's design, but also your ground conditions. I pick in mostly clay-based soil and if it's wet, I get a lot of soil/debris with the rocks. In addition, corn stalks and vegetation (from the previous year) can be a pain as you'll invariably pick a bunch of that too.
This past year I was lucky and had helpers load the bucket as I followed them through the fields (that's why in the pictures the rock load is fairly clean - not much dirt, clay, vegetation, etc.) Otherwise, expect to pick lots of debris too. Hope this helps.:waving:

Candersen10
09-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the pictures mkrol. I'm hoping that I'll be able to sift through the soil a little bit with the bucket if I prepare it well enough.