PDA

View Full Version : Vib Plow Recommendations

jkinchla
09-18-2001, 11:06 AM
Guys, the local Ditch Witch dealer loaned me a DW 100 sx the other day as a demo. It seems to me that the machine is overpriced ($7800 new) and also that I could find something that would go on a three point hitch. Does anybody know of a vibratory plow attachment for a three-point hitch? If I can't get one on a three-point, I will probably get a used unit if possible. Also, what vibratory plow unit would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

HBFOXJr
09-18-2001, 06:15 PM
I've own a Case Maxi Sneaker and its been good. I think Burkeen and Vermeer are pretty good. Not many Ditch Witch machines used here even though there is a dealer.

greasemonkey
09-19-2001, 09:56 AM
i found the ditchwitch 100sx to be too weak to be the primary install machine...maybe it would be useful in tight areas, but I had trouble with it not having enough traction / power to pull more than 100 continuos feet....The guy I work for has two case maxi sneaker's and they're awesome. I've also heard that they go for about $35,000 new with the trailer, boring rods, trencher and plow attachments. Ditch witch's 410 sx is pretty popular arounf here and so is the vermeer lm42. I hear that burkeen makes a 3 point vibratory plow attachment but i'm not sure.

-J

jkinchla
09-25-2001, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all your info, I called Burkeen and I am waiting to hear if they make a 3 pt attachment. From what people have told me, the Case maxi sneaker is a good way to go. If anybody has any other ideas as far as the vib plow for a 3 pt is concerned, please let me know.

HBFOXJr
09-25-2001, 07:18 PM
Skip the 3 pt vib if your doing residential and comercial work. Just to big and awkward and don't have a boring or trenching attachment.

Get a dedicated machine or rent one if you can't make one pay on your own.

penn955
10-17-2001, 08:20 PM
Id like to ask HBOfoxJR why he has a problem with his distributors and would like him to elaborate on his distressing experiences.

HBFOXJr
10-18-2001, 08:09 AM
Many employees are just counter people and have no irrigation education or field experience making their info or lack thereof a problem.

Referalls go to contractors that owe them lots of money because they helped idiots get into the business and feed them idiot ideas.

In Southern NJ from sometime in the early '80's there was a concerted effort on the behalf of distributors to get more contractors into business in order to increase their own business. Market forces and supply and demand were ignored. They did not help exisiting contractors get bigger. The pie has been split so many ways you can read through a slice now. We don't have the 10-20 truck companies like other areas do even though the area could support several.

Subsequently irigation for many is a part of a larger business but not capable of earning a living on it's own. Many companies don't have full time service people or in some cases dedicated service vehicles.

Pricing was preached by distributors as $/head, 2 times the cost of materials etc. Double your money, right? Everyone likes to "double their money".

So the result is today, installs sell for 30% less than 15 years ago and no body was raping anyone then, just being profitable.

Many just turn dollars on installs or lose money but are not aware as their cost accounting either does not exist or is not good enough to tell them where the profits and losses come from.

How do I know this? When a company charges $45 to $65 per hour for a service person but only generates $25-$30 per hr over the wholesale cost of materials for an installation something is screwed up.

I follow up estimates and find out what people payed for how many heads or see estimates when I'm at their house and see lots of stuff at 2 times the cost of materials. I run quick dummy bids based on what the customer purchsed. When materials on a labor intensive job like irrigation installation eats half your sales revenue it's also eating revenue from other areas too.

sharpey
10-20-2001, 09:22 AM
TO HBOFOXJR,
IT IS UNFORTUNATE THAT THE IRRIGATION INDUSTRY HAS A LACK OF QUAILIFIED PEOPLE. IT TOOK US TWO YEARS TO FIND A GOOD COUNTER GUY . TOO MANY DISTRIBUTORS ARE BENT ON OPENING UP STORE AFTER STORE AND LOSING THE BATTLE WITH ADEQUATELY STOCKING THESE STORES WITH KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSONNEL, SO I AGRRE WITH YOU ON THAT ISSUE, BUT AS FAR AS DISTRIBUTORS HURTING THE INDUSTRY, AS A DESIGNER/DISTRIBUTOR I HAVE BUILT MANY CONTRACTORS FROM THE GROUND UP..THEY COME TO ME. KNOWLEGABLE DISTRIBUTORS ARE EXTREMELY VALUABLE TO THE INDUSTRY AND FAR OUTWEIGH THE NEGATIVES. WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF ALL THESE YOUNG GUYS (WHO REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING) INSTALLING THESE SYSTEMS WITHOUT HIS DISTRIBUTORS CONSULTATION? THE CUSTOMER ENDS UP ON THE LOSING END.

brian klimek
11-16-2001, 10:50 PM
i have a vermeer lm40 w/ trencher and vibratory plow and it is great. boring attachment, too. damm machine is the best thing i bought. if i could, i would marry it.

just my two cents.

buy the best. you will never regret it.

b--

turfman59
12-10-2001, 08:13 PM
:blob2
I ve got both a mini sneaker and a newly rebuilt vermeer lm 35
I tried a ditch witch 255 sx used with 700 hours on it wasnt impressed with the front wheels skidding in tight turns I like the added weight of the vermeer on large scale jobs but use the case mini sneaker alot in michigan we use alot of 1 1/2 to 2 inch header lines. Large scale jobs require looping the site. the mini plows 1 1/2 with ease the vermeer does the 2 inch but works a little in heavy ground Hope this info helps I like used equipment because our facility is set up to do large scale maintenance and repairs Bruce: