PDA

View Full Version : Weedeater string breaking

BubbaD
09-18-2007, 07:37 AM
My Echo weedeater string is constantly breaking and I have to stop, take off the head and extend the line again. This has always been a problem, and I need a solution.

This happens when I am trimming my chain link fence and when edging the driveway. I have tried spooling the line together and have put my finger between the lines to separate them and it still happens. There must be a way to spool weedeater string so it does not break all the time.

HELP*trucewhiteflag*

DCE
09-18-2007, 07:52 AM
Do you mean that somehow, the monofilament is retracting into the head? What kind of line are you using? Since you said Echo, is it their CrossFire line?

BubbaD
09-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Yes, the line retracts into the head and I have to stop, take the head off to string the line outside the head.

I am using .95 purchased at the John Deere dealer. I have had this problem with the round and square line.

cgaengineer
09-18-2007, 09:44 AM
You just need some practice trimming. You need to keep a good bit of line out or it will wear down until it falls back inside the spool. Also check to make sure you are winding correctly.

BubbaD
09-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Is this why I see the pro's using weedeaters without the guard, so they can see the line?

MarcSmith
09-18-2007, 10:16 AM
also take a look at the weedeater head. there are usually grommets were the string comes out of the head. sometimes the grommets get a groove worn in them and can provide an edge for the string to get cut...The grommets are usually just pressed in place and can rotated. 180*

Chain link fence is murder on string trimmer line...

cgaengineer
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I got some type of Gator line at Home Depot and it works really well on chain link, you may try it...I will have to see what the exact name is, but after using Echo brand line I will not ever use Echo again...it breaks to easily.

MarksTLC
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Sounds like the line isn't feeding. Why I'm not sure.

The above posts gave the reasons I can think of.
I went to the thicker string, but that won't solve your problem.

Chain link fence does eats a lot of string, if it gets caught up in it. Good Luck.

NNL&LS
09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
Spray round up where you would normally trim. problem solved. put the trimmer on ebay.

BostonBull
09-19-2007, 05:42 AM
String is not all made the same. Look at tensile strengh. for example.....the red .095 at the echo stores that is echo labeled is made by spectra and is about 65#, while the smae size from Stihl (they make their own in VA beach) is just over 100#.
Also use only round line. Square, diaganol etc etc is measured at the fattest point, once you start to use it it loses that shape and becomes round, but is much smaller.
DO NOT run the machine with no guard!! It is absolutley horrible for the trimmers. 2" of extra string out raises the temp at the spark plug by 130 degrees and drops the RPM's by over 2,000! This is a BAD practice I have seen alot of guys running the string out past the guard by a foot or more.

Good luck with the string issue.

DCE
09-19-2007, 06:15 AM
Yes, the line retracts into the head and I have to stop, take the head off to string the line outside the head.

I am using .95 purchased at the John Deere dealer. I have had this problem with the round and square line.

Like one guy said on here, you just need to keep more line out...tap the head more frequently as you are working. If you're using any variety of the non-round line, remember the irregular shaped line wears faster than round line. i used to run the CrossFire line. It is great for heavy grass and light weeds but that stuff wears pretty quickly depending on the conditions. I have since switched to the Husqvarna Titanium Force round line and it lasts longer and still gives a clean cut. As an aside, the irregular shaped line also makes the trimmer a bit louder than round line.

Also, do you trim around brick or big rocks? These can be quite abrasive to trimmer line. If you do, tap the head frequently.

BubbaD
09-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Is there a trick to putting the string on I am missing? I know I am going in the right direction. Do you put your finger inbetween the lines or do you put the lines together? Do you wrap tight or just firm?

When it breaks, I have to unwrap the string a wrap or two b/c the string will not pull out.

Martino
09-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Is there a trick to putting the string on I am missing? I know I am going in the right direction. Do you put your finger inbetween the lines or do you put the lines together? Do you wrap tight or just firm?

When it breaks, I have to unwrap the string a wrap or two b/c the string will not pull out.

It sounds to me that it's not being wound in the right direction, thus retracting back into the spool. Maybe the line is coming out of the two slots that secure the line when you put the head together, thus unraveling inside the spool.

I would suggest taking the head to your dealer and asking him to show you how to do it properly. The manuals can be lacking in their information.

All_Toro_4ME
09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Any chance of your line melting together as you unwrap it to re-string it? Also, are you running dual line or single feed line from the head? Theres a slight difference in how you string the two. As suggested, I would check with the dealer to see how to string it properly.

DCE
09-19-2007, 12:17 PM

I was taught to put your finger in between the lines when you wind the line up on the spool. If you take your head apart and look at the spool by itself, there should be an indication on the spool of which direction to rotate the spool as you wind the line around it. Be sure you are winding it in the proper direction. If you wind it in the opposite direction of what it is supposed to be, the line will not advance at all when you bump feed it. Also, when you wind the line around the spool, be sure there is no slack as you wind it up. So, pull on the line a bit to make sure it is wound up tightly. After you wind it up, fire the trimmer up and give it a few test bumps to ensure the line is advancing properly.

Stan MI
09-19-2007, 09:32 PM
I took my guard off at the start of this season. Trimmer is much easier to use with out it.

I put out a couple inches of extra line and cut with the trimmer just on idle. I have had no scalp issues and get a lot less crude thrown up at me. I also trim around chain link fence (dog kennel). I use a lot less line on idle than running at full speed. I would guess this is not the best operating procedure for the trimmer but it's at least four years old now and by no means a high dollar unit. Still seems to run fine at the end of the season.

ProMo
09-20-2007, 07:05 AM
I got some type of Gator line at Home Depot and it works really well on chain link, you may try it...I will have to see what the exact name is, but after using Echo brand line I will not ever use Echo again...it breaks to easily.

I just picked up some of that gator line and only had to bump the head 1 time all day.

BostonBull
09-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I took my guard off at the start of this season. Trimmer is much easier to use with out it.

I put out a couple inches of extra line and cut with the trimmer just on idle. I have had no scalp issues and get a lot less crude thrown up at me. I also trim around chain link fence (dog kennel). I use a lot less line on idle than running at full speed. I would guess this is not the best operating procedure for the trimmer but it's at least four years old now and by no means a high dollar unit. Still seems to run fine at the end of the season.

If the head of your trimmer is spinning while there is NO use of the throttle trigger then it is WAY out of tune. The head shoul NOT spin while idling.

cgaengineer
09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
I just picked up some of that gator line and only had to bump the head 1 time all day.

Yeah, dont know what it is made of but I wish I had some a few weeks ago when I was clearing some large brush.

Stan MI
09-20-2007, 09:50 PM
If the head of your trimmer is spinning while there is NO use of the throttle trigger then it is WAY out of tune. The head shoul NOT spin while idling.
That would be new to me. My chainsaw works like that. The only weed wacker I've had that worked like that was an electric one.

corey4671
09-20-2007, 10:29 PM
thsi from a guy who ran wcho for years. YES you MUST keep the lines seperated. YOu want the line firm but not super tight. SOunds like what is happening, and I had this same problem, is that in winding the spool, the lines are getting crossed and when you hit that chain link fence, the lines are welding together. Try not laoding so much line on the spool.

cranesrule
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
That would be new to me. My chainsaw works like that. The only weed wacker I've had that worked like that was an electric one.

Stan,

Better quality trimmers utilize a centrifugal clutch so the head does not spin at all at idle speed. I would assume you most likely have a homeowner trimmer, probably curved shaft, that does not have a clutch. You have to remember that these are mostly pros answering these questions and they use commercial equipment.

hdtvluvr
09-21-2007, 08:45 PM
I puchased an Echo 261T about a month ago. The head spins on it at idle. What do I need to do?

BostonBull
09-22-2007, 11:40 AM
I am unfamiliar with the echo line-up. Is that a striaght shaft with a centrifugal clutch? If so turn the idle screw on the carb out a tiny bit until it stops spinning. If this doesnt resolve it, and you are not familiar with tuning 2 stroke carburetors, bring it to the dealer and have them do it.

shane mapes
09-22-2007, 03:21 PM
what i do is keep line nice and snug in the head also i keep the the spoil in a bucket of water so it doesn't dry up sounds funny but it works

Stan MI
09-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Stan,

Better quality trimmers utilize a centrifugal clutch so the head does not spin at all at idle speed. I would assume you most likely have a homeowner trimmer, probably curved shaft, that does not have a clutch. You have to remember that these are mostly pros answering these questions and they use commercial equipment.
Learn something new all the time here. Yes it is a curved shaft. Thanks for the info. If I ever do have to buy another one I would like the straight shaft, seems like it would be easier on the back.

cathy
09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
The string broke so I opened spool and pulled
more string out but its curled up--I am trying
to straighten it before I use weedeater again.
If I straighten it is it ok to use?
You cant cut anything with a curly string can you?
Sorry if this sounds really dumb but I just got the
thing recently and know absolutely nothing about this.
Cathy Trione
New Orleans

DCE
09-28-2007, 03:13 PM
The string broke so I opened spool and pulled
more string out but its curled up--I am trying
to straighten it before I use weedeater again.
If I straighten it is it ok to use?
You cant cut anything with a curly string can you?
Sorry if this sounds really dumb but I just got the
thing recently and know absolutely nothing about this.
Cathy Trione
New Orleans

Your monofilament will be curled anyway due to winding it up on the spool. However, as you run the trimmer, the centrifugal force will straighten the monofilament out anyway as the trimmer head spins at those high rpm's. It will cut just fine as you have it.

haul03486
09-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Mine does the same thing the filiment/string heats up when edging and it melts inside the head and sticks together. This causes it to run out and not feed look for melted marks on the string to see if i am correct. I corrected mine by not reving the engine when edging i just let it idle along to keep the heat down.