PDA

View Full Version : Billy Goat vs. Lesco truck loader

dfor
09-18-2001, 01:52 PM
I've done a search on this and only found a few threads. My only question is: is it worth the difference to spend an extra $350 for the Billy Goat 16 hp vac.? $2250 vs $2600. Thanks.

mdb landscaping
09-18-2001, 03:50 PM
vs. the lesco 16hp?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-18-2001, 04:18 PM
The Lesco is by far a better built one. Much better setup. Much stronger set up. Plus I think the Lesco has a Kohler instead of B&S. I would say $350 well spent.

LGF:blob1:

mdb landscaping
09-18-2001, 04:22 PM
ive seen a lot more lesco vacs out there then billy goats. im not really familiar with either though. have you considered giant vac too? they are a real reputable brand.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-18-2001, 04:31 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1504403&a=11355595&p=54025359&Sequence=0&res=high

I have a Giant Vac 3001. Might be a little big for ya.

dfor
09-18-2001, 05:27 PM
Sorry. Yes, the 16 hp BG vs. the 16 hp Lesco.

mdb landscaping
09-18-2001, 05:44 PM
LGF, how many yards of leaves can you get into that truck? that is one of the sweetest leaf set ups ive seen. a guy in town has a set up like you and can haul a ton of leaves.

TruGreenDedLawn
09-18-2001, 06:32 PM
WOW Now thats the schiznit of leaf vacs. Is that 4 guys in the picture. Which one is you? How many pounds does that truck hold? How fast does that vac suck up the leaves? How well does it mulch the leaves? How high does that box go?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-18-2001, 07:27 PM
It hold 37+ yrds of leaves. it will pack them in to. that's size of box yrds.

28,000lbs carry weight

registered for 42,000gvw

suck them up as fast as the 18" suction tube will allow

12.5' from ground to top of box

that me closest to front of truck

mulches them up more, after we use vac on mower to pick em up off lawn.

I think they call it an 80 mesh tarp. I would suggest getting one.

there were six guys there. we did 17 lawns in one subdidvion that day

gene gls
09-19-2001, 12:02 AM
dfor:

You need to buy one to fit the truck you are using. A 16 HP is a lot of truck loader. I have used an 8 HP Giant Vac on my 3/4 ton pick up with good results. The bigger the HP the more suction. A 16HP on a pick up truck might blow the truck down the road when you throttle up. Watch out when a stone goes up pipe!!!

Gene

LAWNGODFATHER
09-19-2001, 12:56 AM
Actually itís CFM. And the HP is used to turn the fan. From experience, I had a 16hp Parker and was loading it in a dump trailer, which was not a problem. But the smaller the openings the more chances of it clogging. On an 8hp loader the fan housing is much smaller than the 16hp. When dealing with wet leaves you will want more HP and a bigger fan for more CFM to get more suction. I have learned the hard way; I no longer have a little one. You will need to build a sturdy box on the truck or trailer to accommodate the leaves. That will not be any problem; you will have to have an adequate vent to let the air out. I used an 80-mesh tarp. I think the Lesco vac will suit your needs just fine. I would recommend it to you. Iíve seen it at Lesco and seen it in use and I like it, but I have a bigger one.

Tony
09-19-2001, 07:30 PM
Buy the Goat, It has a fan blade thats 1/2 plate steel and there is not a better unit for the money. The Billy Goat brand unit is made in the USA and If you need parts or service, you'll have a dealer close to you to help. I personally have met the owners of Billy Goat, Bill,Will,and Drew Coates, and I know that they built these truckloaders after a lot a testing. In the beginning stages of production they had a customer that picked up a golf ball and it went though the back glass and then though the front glass thus proving that it has almost too much power. The Goat also has a unloader feature built in ,Go ask your dealer for the details and pick up the hose wand and see for yourself if it isn't the best feeling wand out there.

Tony

www.billygoat.com

LAWNGODFATHER
09-19-2001, 10:19 PM
Threw the back glass of the truck. Come on use some smarts here. Put plywood over the back of the truck cab. I doubled up the front of the box and purposely shot golf, tennis, basket, and base balls threw it. No damage to truck or vac. The Lesco you buy the vac from will gave parts for it.

gene gls
09-19-2001, 11:52 PM
dfor:

I just got a flyer from the largest dealer in my area ( 4 stores)and they are advertizing Giant Vac 16 HP with Briggs engin, skid mount, for $2,899.95...I seen the Billy Goat tailgate loader with the honda 13 HP at my dealer last week and its a nice looking unit.

Gene

GLM
09-20-2001, 05:42 PM
I just bought the Lesco on sale for $2095 local Billy goat price is almost $3000. They have the same engine the 16hp. Briggs Vanguard. The Lesco has a much better tailgate mount than the Billy goat and for the price I think that I did great getting the Lesco. Its brand new and I haven't used it yet and I can't wait for the leaves to fall.

Green Care
09-20-2001, 06:39 PM
LET ME KNOW HOW THE LECSO 16 HP HANDLES WET
LEAVES.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-20-2001, 07:37 PM
Problems you will encounter with a B&S engine on your leaf vac.

#1 No matter how well you keep the air cleaner clean, you will get dirt in the carb. There is a breather hole in the side of the carb. that sucks the dust in.

#2 If you leave it out side, you will get water in the same breather hole.

#3 You need to get one with electric start or you will break the pull cord on it.

That's all I can think of at this time.

I had a Parker truck loader leaf vac w/B&S 16hp Vanguard. Plus on this one, the safty switches got so much dust in them, I had to replace them too.

General Grounds
09-20-2001, 10:29 PM
:blob3: the 16 hp vac handles wet or frozen leaves very well, i love my unit, lawngodfather hit it on the head with the carb, if possible place a piece of brillo or breathable material over the hole,seems to work well, and tarp the unit if not bring it in very night.T

tlcgrounds
09-20-2001, 10:46 PM
Okay,
I am looking for a truckloader. I have only reasearched inot the trak vac loaders. the 16hp unit is about $2500.00 ANY opinions. Our local municipality inly picks up leaves once a year and I think curb side service is a unfound market. The track vac has a 8 11 and 16hp engine. The bigger the engine the bigger the turbine and opening. Do you think a 11 hp unit with a 10" hose will suck leaves fairly well or would it quicker to tarp and load.

wallzwallz
09-21-2001, 07:35 AM
the 11 hp might be quicker than tarps but to weak to be a tailgate loader, I have 16 hp lesco, no real complaints works great but a 20 hp wouldn't hurt

Rodney Johns
09-21-2001, 03:29 PM
The Billy goat is the way to go compared to Lesco. Billy Goat has such a good product. They are coming out with a new model this year. It is a copy of the giant vac w/ the swivle hitch that allows easy dumping. I hope to have it here soon to see how they compare. Giant Vac is a good product but I have put these goats next to them and will not clog nearly as easy and appear to have better wind speed. The giant vac has that awesome swinging arm that was not availabel in the goat until this year. Just avoid parker. It is the weeny of the bunch.

paul
09-22-2001, 10:13 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1504403&a=11355595&p=54408202&Sequence=0&res=high

LAWNGODFATHER
09-23-2001, 12:39 AM
Thanx Paul for posting my pic.

That a pic of my old Parker and my dump trailer.

Don't have the Parker any more

LGF:blob3:

tlcgrounds
09-23-2001, 11:15 PM
I want to mount a leaf loader on one of our trailers like you did. Is there any special fabrication you had to do. If so can you share the details. Have you heard anything good about the trac-vac 16hp briggs. That is the only dealer in my area.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-24-2001, 12:37 AM
Sorry TLC that's my truck not Pauls. He posted it for me.

My dump trailer has 2' sides and all I did was set it on the rail and clamp it down.

Don't know any thing about the Trac-Vac

vipermanz
09-25-2001, 05:28 PM
are the impeller's on a vac the size of lgf's very vulnerable to sticks and rocks?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-25-2001, 09:05 PM
Nothing is impervious to evey thing, But it has a 3/4" heat treated steel plate impeller. You name it I've tried to shoot it threw.

plow kid
09-26-2001, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I purposely shot golf, tennis, basket, and base balls threw it. No damage to truck or vac.

Comemon Mike , I may be gullable but I am not stupid, no way a basketball would make it thru!

vipermanz
09-26-2001, 01:12 AM
how about........Cannon Balls!!!!!!!!!:D
Shoot All The Tennis Balls You Want Through It!!

dfor
10-01-2001, 06:51 PM
I bit the bullett and bought the Billy Goat 16 hp. Actually put the deposit on it and pick it up later in the week after I make room in the trailer. This will be the first year that I can't wait for the leaves to start falling.

Tony
10-03-2001, 07:43 PM
Great, Keep us posted as you use your new Truck Loader. You'll be impressed.

Tony

tlcgrounds
10-03-2001, 08:40 PM
I just bought a trac vac 16 hp. truck loader. I haven't used it on leaves yet but I think it will get the job done.

beck
10-04-2001, 10:33 PM
I recently bought the Billy Goat. And met with lawngodfather and talked over the placement and installation.

I was wandering if anyone else had pictures of their rigs with leaf vacs.

By the way the truck has a 8'X12' bed with 4' sides.(and dump)

So far we have come up with: Mounting the vac on the passenger side at the very front, probably about 2' off the ground allowing clearance for the pull rope over the front part of the bed and putting the height of the discharge chute at 6.5', I will also be builiding the sides up to 6.5'. for security purposes i will leave the bed raised at night to make it extremely difficult for any would be thieves. @ 200 + pounds i am not taking that off every night.

Rodney Johns
10-05-2001, 10:50 AM
I will say the Billy Goat distributor tells me they have tested these machines for safety by shooting golf balls and other objects through them. They claim a golf ball will go about 400-500 yards through the 20 HP leaf loader. They also say that the machines will try to suck up bricks or are at least capable of that much suction. In other words be careful I guess........I don't care about that part but they do an awesome jobs on leaves and debris.

MOW ED
10-06-2001, 10:09 AM
TruGreenDedLawn wrote
schiznit

HUH?;)