PDA

View Full Version : For Starters

okie2
09-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I have finally bought me a JD 757 60" deck. I want to start making a little money especially to pay off the loan. What next do I need to do? I have a Wal-Mart weed eater that doesnt sound good and takes 30 minutes to get it running. Anyway, is it too late or should I get started now?

KTO Enterprises
09-19-2007, 03:02 PM
you have an 8 thousand dollar mower and a 75 dollar weed eater? what about other equipment?

barnard
09-19-2007, 04:04 PM
DO next: Get customers.(should have done first)

grassnazi1
09-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Ya you really need to start focusing on some customers, but I would reccomend buying used equipment to get you through and then upgrade when you can. Obviously the first upgrade would be a new weed wacker, but use what you have until you have some money coming in! Also, it's never too late, fall is right around the corner and all you really need as a bare minimum to get started is a good rake and can. Focus on getting customers as your next step.... without them it doesn't matter if your weedwacker works or not.

All_Toro_4ME
09-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Do you have a blower, trailer, truck, etc? What other equip. do you have? It's a good idea to upgrade your equipment, starting with your weedwhacker, go with a comm. brand, used if you can find it, and a hand held blower until you get a solid customer base, then you can move on to the backpack blower, assuming you dont have that already.

okie2
09-19-2007, 06:37 PM
My wife said I dont need a blower cause I got a broom. Anyways, yeah I got a used JD 757. Whats a good way to pick up 5 or 10 customers. Im just getting started with all this. Who has used weed eaters?

KTO Enterprises
09-19-2007, 07:38 PM
My wife said I dont need a blower cause I got a broom.

Lemme know how that works out for you.

topsites
09-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Why work your tail off at this point?

That's like them long winded movies gotta bore you with all the crap before the big chase that should come anytime.
Why not just cut to the chase, skip the crap?

So take the shortcut, default and see what happens, what I would do.

okie2
09-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok that doesnt really make sense to me

KTO Enterprises
09-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Ok that doesnt really make sense to me

They never will.

topsites
09-19-2007, 09:02 PM
They never will.

That's a great answer!

I wouldn't say never myself, but I might say it's a bit of a ways down the road.

KTO Enterprises
09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
That's a great answer!

I wouldn't say never myself, but I might say it's a bit of a ways down the road.

I can always count on a good laugh from you topsites

All_Toro_4ME
09-20-2007, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=okie2;1968804]My wife said I dont need a blower cause I got a broom. QUOTE]

Im confused here, who is running this business. You or her? As KTO mentioned, let me know how the broom works for you as well.

grassnazi1
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
[quote=okie2;1968804]My wife said I dont need a blower cause I got a broom. QUOTE]

This could be an entirely different thread all on it's own.... I guess I must be lucky since my wife always tells me to buy additional equipment, supplies, vehicles, whatever is needed to make MY life easier, if we had to use a broom, she would volunteer herself to push it so I wouldn't have that to do as well. Guess it's all how you look at YOUR business and who you let make decisions for you. I say let your wife push the broom a bit and see if she wants to get a blower anytime soon!

scottp
09-20-2007, 11:18 AM
How's she going to get around when you are out using her broom on your lawn cutting jobs?

okie2
09-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Its a joke. I do what I want

lawnprosteveo
09-21-2007, 12:45 AM
My wife said I dont need a blower cause I got a broom. Anyways, yeah I got a used JD 757. Whats a good way to pick up 5 or 10 customers. Im just getting started with all this. Who has used weed eaters? Its probably too late to pick up mowing accounts...doesnt mean you cant, its just not the time of year. In OK, you wanna start trying to get them no later than the first part of March....I am usually mowing by Spring Break.
To get customers now...tell everyone you know youre getting in the biz...run an ad in the classifieds for leaf removal about mid October. Put out some cheap flyers around town for leaf removal..
I have picked up some good mowing accounts off of leaf customers.
As for equipment...depends on what kind of cash you have to spend...if its very little, shoot for a rake and some tarps....If its more, maybe a back pack blower, rake and tarps.
Do some searches here on leaf removal...youll learn a great deal.
Good luck!