PDA

View Full Version : Requirements in Culpeper VA

moneymachine
09-18-2007, 11:18 PM
I was wondering what all would i need to get started in the lawn service business do I need a license if im just cutting grass? Would a peddlers license do ?

PaperCutter
09-19-2007, 09:06 AM
No contractor's license needed if you're just doing maintenance. Culpeper County doesn't have a business license, but if you do ANY work in the town you'll need a town business license. If you live in the town, it's probably a good idea to get the business license there anyhow.

I'm right in town, so feel free to hit me up with any questions.

moneymachine
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Thank you for the info. Now I got one more question how do i get the business license in culpeper ? and what type of business license is necessary ?

PaperCutter
09-19-2007, 02:55 PM
Either call the town clerk (www.culpeper.to) or stop by her office. Because I only do design, I believe I have a different category of license than you will, but I don't remember the distinctions. They'll give you a checklist of all the stops you have to make. If you're operating out of your house, you'll need to get a permit for that, go to zoning, go to the circuit court clerk to to the fictitious name registration thing, and finally back to the town clerk's office. It's a process, and you'll probably want to block out a full morning to get it all done. But start with the town clerk.

topsites
09-19-2007, 08:15 PM
He's right, I'm down in Chesterfield County and it's all the same...
Any county or city you operate your business out of, you need a business license.
Do what he said.

Now here's the thing you will want to keep in mind for later:
Jobs in excess of $1,000 will require of you a Class-C contractor's license.
In other words you need to remember that, in 6 years I've never gone over a thousand.
No, really, 99.999% of my jobs simply don't go over a grand.
IF one ever does you might have to figure out what to do, but if you think you'll
be going over a grand regularly then you need a class-c, enough said.