PDA

View Full Version : Diesel-I thought interesting

jd5210
09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Up to 552 kilometres per year more at the same price
19-Sep-2007
Retail will be offering a new Shell Diesel in Germany starting in October.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The product was developed to give motorists more mileage at the same price. Retail Executive Vice President, Josef Waltl presented the new product together with the head of Shell Retail in Germany, Michael Dopheide, at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt.

The new product will also be available in Austria.

Josef Waltl says: “We are delighted to see IAA adopt the theme of sustainable mobility this year. It gives us a great opportunity to talk about a programme we´ve kicked off to help customers reduce fuel use by ten percent and more.”

The programme involves not only the improved fuels from Shell, but tips and training programs for motorists to help them change their driving habits and drive more economically, as well as advice on technical maintenance of their vehicles.

Wolfgang Warnecke, head of Shell Global Automotive Fuels Development, explains: “Shell has developed the new diesel fuel to ignite more quickly than regular diesel, with the aim of boosting engine efficiency. The new formula also helps to prevent the accumulation of deposits around the fuel injectors.

Speedier combustion and cleaner-burning engines are the combination of choice for lowering fuel consumption. Michael Dopheide says: “On balance, motorists can travel an additional distance up to 552 kilometres per year – without paying extra for it.”

This calculation is based on the average volume of diesel fuel purchased by Shell fuel card users in Germany in the period from August 1, 2006 through July 31, 2007.

Testing was commissioned by Shell and conducted by an independent institute comparing Standard Diesel EN 590 in the New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) decisive for the development of automotive fuel consumption. To calculate the additional mileage, average fuel consumption was used as a basis that was published by an acknowledged European certification institute for motor vehicle tests (VCA). The mileage may vary, depending on the type of vehicle, its condition and specific driving behaviour.

RockSet N' Grade
09-19-2007, 07:26 PM
jd5210...........kinda makes ya wonder. Gasoline was a useless by product in the manufacturing of kerosene.....and then gasoline found a home. Natural gas was a wasted (burned off at the well head) product until a guy named Green figured out how to cap and bottle it with Howard Hughes and Allied Tools........hence, forming Signal Oil and diesel fuel, as we know it today was a waste product from the production of gasoline.....Old Rudlolph Diesel, the inventor of the diesel engine, origionaly designed his diesel to run off vegetable oils from the farmers crops in Germany, but yet again business stepped in and tweeked his design to burn a gasoline byproduct..our diesel today. And to think these guys are just now teasing us with "10%" better economy? I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg on what could be offered and I am convinced that if Exxon owned the Sun, we would have a world run on solar energy........what's all this mean? Nothin......

jd5210
09-20-2007, 09:14 AM
My thought was how come we dont get it here in the states? 10% is 10% I guess it would costr us 20% more to buy

RockSet N' Grade
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Alot of factors for the states being the last. Fuel prices per gallon here in the states is still cheap compared to European prices that are twice ours. The money factor, politics, environmental regualtions......who knows, but I agree with you that we should embrace a proactive approach to anything that decreases consumption and increases efficiency.