PDA

View Full Version : New F-250

Harvestman
09-18-2001, 05:51 PM
I'm Buying A new f-250 crew 4x4 And I was wondering should I Get the v-10 or will the v-8 be big enough? I'm conserned about gas milage And the power of the v-8. Thanks in Advance for the responses

Randy Scott
09-18-2001, 06:19 PM
I have the same truck except it is the diesel. The V-10 supposedly gets 10 mpg at best, and I believe it. I know this saying gets said a million times, but think about opting for the diesel if you plan on pulling a good size trailer or whatever. This was my first diesel and I was floored at the torque these things have. I have a 20 foot enclosed loaded to the gills and it really pulls it awesome. It can pick up speed going up some pretty big hills. I had gas motors and smaller trailers before and they could not tow half as good.
You have to let us know what you will be using it for to give advice on what motor you should get. You will get some good insight once people start responding. There is no easy solution here without spending money, either you pay for the expensive diesel up front and get good power, or you pay down the road with overworking the small gas motor and extra spent fuel because of it. I think the V-10 falls somewhere in between. Not as expensive as the diesel but poor mileage yet good power. Confused yet? I think I am. All I know is I'll never buy a gas motor truck again. I love my diesel!

Harvestman
09-18-2001, 07:24 PM
Randy, I realley Wanted the Diesel. But I've Got a couple of kids so I have to get the crew cab,and with the diesel you cant hang a plow on the front (to Heavy). So I have to decide V-8 or V-10.Thanks for the reply!

Barkleymut
09-18-2001, 09:11 PM
Why not get the F350 Diesel and the plow? Not much more expensive and it's always good to have the extra capacity.

landscaper3
09-20-2001, 10:05 PM
You can put a 8' plow on that truck with a diesel and NOT-NOT void the warranty! Shop around at other Ford dealers to find one that isnt feeding you bull shi%. My best friend has been sales manager of Ford heavy duty trucks for 8years and its coming from him. Worst case you will have to add a leaf to each front cost around $300

John DiMartino
09-20-2001, 10:32 PM
If you buy a V8,i think you will be dissapointed with the power,a V10 has power,but its thirsty.If i were you,I get the diesel.If you want a plow,Id get a sno-way,since they are the lightest,but make no mistake,the truck will be overloaded,id put 500-800 lbs of ballast in the back og the bed.This will help a lot.Warranty's will be at the discretion of your selling dealer,Id ask about the warranty issues before you buy,so you know if you will or will not be covered.For the price difference,Id go with the F350,only because the curb weigh is about 7000 lbs,leaving only 1800 lbs payload,the 350 has 1100 more lbs of payload.

P&J Lawncare
09-21-2001, 01:42 AM
I have a f-250 super-duty with the v-10 in it and it is everything a truck should be. I pull my trailer with two scag 61 inch turf tigers on it with no problem at all. I get 8.5 miles to the gallon with the trailer attached and just over 10 miles to the gallon without it but the v-8 isn't much better so for the extra horse power I would definately recommend the v-10. I also have a fisher v-plow for plowing and it pushes that plow easily, as for what truck can take what plow the guys from fisher told me that the f-250 and f-350 are the same for plow ratings. They both rate the same no matter what motor is in them. The v-8 is a good motor but if you plan on working the truck then the v-10 is the motor you want. I got two kids myself and the super cab works well for us.

GreenQuest Lawn
09-21-2001, 01:43 AM
I have a f-250 with a 5.4 v-8 and am happy with it.

I pull a 16' trailer with 4'sides, a 60" lazer, and a 52" Metro. has no problem getting up to speed.

Bunton Guy
09-22-2001, 10:02 AM
I have to 01 f-350 with the powerstroke in it...love it and wouldnt trade it for the world. I do not see the extra TQ. though..I had a F-150 with the 4.2 ltr. v-6 (the smallest F-150 motor) and it could get up to speed quicker with my 7X16 trailer than this diesel.. my new diesel seems really sluggish off the line with or without the trailer. You defenetly not going to feel like your in a ferrari.

Lawnworks
09-22-2001, 06:53 PM
You have got to get the turbo going because it runs off of the exaust, so it take awhile to pick up speed.

John DiMartino
09-22-2001, 09:31 PM
The slow response is because the fuel is slowly added to the motor,so there is no black smoke during acceleration.The Powerstroke's low end torque isnt its strong point either,it likes to be revved up a bit,then its happiest.

TotalLawn
10-02-2001, 02:09 AM
Along with the added weight in the back...beef up the front suspension. this should help.

I read this on a Power Stroke web page.

Evan528
10-17-2001, 09:06 PM
I have the same setup at Todd. F-250 ext cab with a v-8. I also pull a 16ft trailer with 4 ft sides....a 62 inch z master and 2 walkbehinds. It pulls them like there not there. On the other hand....I do alot of mulching and top soil jobs. My truck really strains to get up a hill with 6 yards of mulch in that trailer! My next will definitly be a deisel. If your going to be pulling mowers a v-8 great. If you plan on hauling alot of mulch or top soil go with a v-10 or deisel.

m&m
10-29-2001, 09:03 PM
my last two trucks have been diesels. i would strongly recommend it if you are going to do any pulling at all. although i pull a lil more than just a lawnmower trailer.my weight goes as high as having 20,000 - 25,000 pounds with me not counting truck. anyhow in the long run i think you will not be disappointed at all for just a few more bucks and not to mention that the diesel motors are just tougher motors all the way around.good luck on ur choice

m&m

MikeLT1Z28
11-05-2001, 07:45 AM
I am also looking at the supercab f-250's. not sure about the speed of the diesel but it's advertised hp rating is 275 and the torque is rated at 520 ft lbs at 1500 rpm. the power is there down low, it's a stump puller, not a dragster.

General Grounds
11-05-2001, 09:33 PM
:blob3: Mike, the PSD is 250hp, i saw an ad for it at 275hp also, dont know why. if the owners book says you should'nt hang a plow on a deisel, why do the dealers sell them w/ plows. recently prchased a 2001 f450 w/ the PSD and love it, forget that i have my CAT skid steer behind me. T

John DiMartino
11-05-2001, 09:43 PM
The new 6 speed PSD's are 275 hp,the auto's are 250hp.The only PSD's that cant take a plow are F250/350 excab&crew cab 4x4's.All other PSD's can take plows.Its a front GAWR issue.The front end on excab's will be borderline overweight,with even a light plow.Crew cabs will be overweight with any plow,unless ballast is added to the rear of the bed.

General Grounds
11-05-2001, 10:40 PM
:blob3: John, thanks for clearing that up my confusion is now clear, why the extra ponies in the 6 speed? T

John DiMartino
11-05-2001, 10:45 PM
The auto tranny is marginal at 250hp,Ford doesnt want any more warranty claims on auto than they have already.Dodge is in the same boat right now,only Gm does have the best stock trans for a diesel auto right now.

FerrisDJB
11-14-2001, 12:22 AM
The trick here is the gearing of your back end. The 5.4L will serve you well as loong as you choose the limited slip 4.10 rear gear. This combo will snag anything on a trailer under 10,000lbs and with the 9 3/4 axle your brakes will stop it as well. your gas mileage will suffer compared to that of the 3.73 rear gear, which is also a good (middle road gear) gear ratio. The V-10 in a 3.73 or 4.10 will EAT YOU ALIVE in gasoline bills. This thing is a gasoline monster and thirsty doesn't begin to describe its evil nature! We're talking 10mpg tops and thats in a 3.73......Then there's the Power Stroke, beautiful engine tooooooons of power far more than most lawn care companies could afford, justify and maintain.First off thats a $4,800 option....secondly the price of fuel in this area is around .50$ more a gallon than gasoline and thirdly with that high dollar option you'l have to keep that truck a hell of a long time to pay it off, break even on the out of pocket expense for fuel and by the time you've done half of this you're going to be ready for another new truck. Just my opinion but the diesel is better fitted for the landscaping companies hauling rock and bobcats. IMHO!!!

stslawncare
11-14-2001, 07:23 PM
u say u are worried about the speed, whats it matter?

pcs
11-16-2001, 10:50 PM
I was at my ford dealer the other day and they said you can now get a plow prep on ext. cab diesels.

I don't know if it's true or they were just saying that so I'll get an ext. cab rather than a regular.

I've seen other ford dealers in my area with crew cab diesels with plows on them on the lot.

odin
11-18-2001, 09:20 PM
Let me ask you do you want the best and a truck that will out haul anything on the road?If you do make a detour over to the cheverolet dealer and get a duramax diesel allison trans combo
We just ordered the 3500 duelly pickup ,the 20% gm employee discount helped on this beast

John DiMartino
11-18-2001, 09:33 PM
odin00,I have been a Gm man for years,and the new Gm HD is a nice truck,but they are not proven yet,and some allisons has been having a few problems,it seems that few dealers have properly trained mechanics,and the trucks that have problems are taking way to long to get fixed right.I feel it is an excellent truck,and rides,handles great,but I still think it isnt the best choice for a plow truck,they have a serious lack of ground clearance,soft IFS that rides to low with a blade,and a large turning radius,the allison has a very low reverse gear,and takes a long time to go from forward to reverse,there is a 3 second delay,everytime you change directions,this gets annoying,and wastes time,IMO.I do loves those trucks dont get me wrong,My friend has one,no trouble with it at all, in 27K miles.

odin
11-18-2001, 11:49 PM
John
Im gonna be finding real soon how the chevy is for plowing although we dont do a tremendous amount of snow jobs the ones we do do are condos.My fathers new one will pull a huge boat behind it like there wasnt anything backthere .HE got one of the first ones out and has put 36000 miles hauling that boat from chicago aera to mississippi and virginia and not one breakdown .THE duramax is a isuzu engine gm owns 49 or 50% of them so gm pretty much controls isuzu.

cclllc
11-21-2001, 06:59 PM
I too am looking to buy a new truck or maybe a good used one.Compaired to a v-8 what kind of mileage shut one expect from diesel?i have a chevy with 454 and a ford with the triton v-8

odin
11-21-2001, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by cclllc
I too am looking to buy a new truck or maybe a good used one.Compaired to a v-8 what kind of mileage shut one expect from diesel?i have a chevy with 454 and a ford with the triton v-8

It will be better but take that big duramax diesel as a adsample
the thing has 300 horsepower so it will still like the old fuel
GENERAL MOTORS gas engines also have a lot of power more than ford or dodge the old pushrods high teched over a little can put out the torq

John DiMartino
11-21-2001, 09:19 PM
ccllc, I cant ell you what kind of mileage a Powerstroke will give,but I do know what my Dodge/Cummins can do.In all honesty the Cummins can easily double the economy of a gasser when pulling,or plowing.Running empty,it gets about 60-80% better than a gas engine.I get between 15-19 mpg,and i have a heavy foot,my truck really moves out.The whole time you have much more pulling power availabe than from the biggest baddest V8's.My mildly bombed Cummins makes big blocks,and V10's feel like 6 cylinders,and I can pass them at the pump too.I know from my friends Duramax,that it gets within 1 mpg of the Cummins pulling small trailers,we towed side by side for 400 miles,and both trucks took within 1 gallon of each other to fill up.He was a little upset that my 6 cylinder could easily out pul his new V8,while matching his economy even with my 4.10's to his 3.73.If you work your truck,the diesel will pay off,then when you sell it,it will pay you back in resale.I know Fords with PSD's bring about 2-3000 more resale if its under 5 yrs old,Cummins in Dodge's bring even more,a Dodge without a Cummins is difficult to sell,with a Cummins, its sold immediately at high book,if its clean.