PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Equipment Schools

ASCHAL45
09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
How do yall feel about all the Heavy Equipment Schools out there.

IA_James
09-19-2007, 12:24 PM
Might be better off looking into union apprenticeships. They'll pay you to learn, instead of the other way around.

Dirt Digger2
09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
go get a job and learn yourself...theres nothing they can teach you in a class that you wouldnt learn from a guy whos been working for 20 years, or even theres nothing you could learn in the class you wouldnt figure out on your own...but you also have to remember some people just were not born to operate equipment, so if you don't catch on within a few hours then maybe equipment operating isnt your cup of tea...save the money, this stuff isn't rocket science

NateV
09-19-2007, 09:27 PM
yeah try for the union. schools are a waste of money, and i know from experiance. im in one now and it is a big waste of time, im just sticking with it so i can get my cdl at the end of it.

ASCHAL45
09-19-2007, 09:45 PM
I went to school too and it was a big waste of money I learned more the first 20 minutes i was on a machine out of school than i did the whole time i was in school but when your young and dumb you know! I was just wondering if it was the school i went to or all of them. How do I join the union

IA_James
09-20-2007, 01:14 AM
I went to school too and it was a big waste of money I learned more the first 20 minutes i was on a machine out of school than i did the whole time i was in school but when your young and dumb you know! I was just wondering if it was the school i went to or all of them. How do I join the union

http://www.iuoe.org/index.asp <International website
http://www.iuoelocal18.org/ <Cleveland, OH local.
http://www.iuoelocal181.org <Henderson, KY local

You'll have to contact them and ask about their apprenticeship program. There may be an extended wait to get into it. You'll have to interview for it, just like a job. Depending on what you're really interested in, there are also Laborers, Plumbers and Steamfitters, Carpenters, Ironworkers, and many others that do apprenticeship programs.

Scag48
09-20-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm applying for a union apprenticeship, I should make it in, keeping my fingers crossed. A buddy of mine has a friend who was fresh out of high school with basically no operating experience and he was selected as an apprentice, I figure with my 3-4 years of experience I should be shoe-in, at least I hope. If not, I'll keep trying, the training is some of the best and you're getting paid at the same time.

ASCHAL45
09-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Appreciate it I will look into it a lil closer i have always wondered about the union but was never really sure about it.

Dirt Digger2
09-21-2007, 03:59 PM
i dont even know if joining a union is a good idea...you cant be promoted over other people even if you are a better operator...im 20 years old and i am running more equipment and doing more jobs then people who have been with the company for 10-15 years...then again i'm not "pro-union".