PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Box

Moretta Lawn Care
09-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey guys/gals,
I am looking for some ideas for a leaf box. I have a general idea of what I want to do. This is going in a 99 f450 with a swing away 18hp giant vac. I am going to make the top out of all expanded fabric for ventilation. I would just like to see some pics of everyones leaf boxes. Thanks.

Ben

hotshot4819
09-20-2007, 12:22 AM
ill save you the hassle, call a local awning place, they will know how to make what you want, look awsome and will last for years. my awning palce made mine for 1300 bucks. cant beat it, pulled in, put it on with 4 bolts and come off with 4 bolts.

Leaf Jockey
09-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I've built two leaf boxes. The first was wood framed with tin. The second was all steel. These sat on 12 or 14 foot truck beds. Both had a hatch on top so a guy could go in and pack the leaves down. Nothing worse than being far away from your dump site with a full truck and only a small amount left to pick up.

Scott

G.M.Landscaping
09-21-2007, 11:21 PM
ill save you the hassle, call a local awning place, they will know how to make what you want, look awsome and will last for years. my awning palce made mine for 1300 bucks. cant beat it, pulled in, put it on with 4 bolts and come off with 4 bolts.

You paid about $1200 more than my local place would custom make one called Tarp america.

EA Quinn
09-23-2007, 12:45 PM
I never can figure out why everybody puts a tarp across the whole top of the leaf box. It makes so much more of a mess than necessary. Heres a shot of a typical top we build on our boxes.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-23-2007, 01:31 PM
EA
BECAREFUL on that roof. LOL Hey question is. Is that a good placement for front loader boxes? I am me mistake on looking at the pic it may be re-loaded. Is that a metal screening or tarp?

hotshot4819
09-23-2007, 03:14 PM
You paid about $1200 more than my local place would custom make one called Tarp america.

put it this way, if you place will build the frame work and make the complete tarp set up for the box for 100 bucks, i will buy 40 of them and sell them for the correct price.
my place built the entire box, just not the canvase, get the facts straight before you try to act all smart

mosmgras
09-25-2007, 12:32 PM
I built a frame using 1 1/2" x 11ga. square tubing. I screwed 1/2" plywood on the front and sides. The tailgate is made from the same tubing and plywood. The gate hinges at the top using four 3" hinges. The bottom has a 1" pin on each side that slides into the factory latch and holds the gate shut. The leaf loader is mounted on a bracket with the discharge tube going through a hole in the plywood, thus, loading the trailer. The frame is 36" tall and when added to the existing 24" trailer sides yields around 16.5 cubic yards capacity. It's covered with a mesh tarp for ventilation.

I looked at several designs before building mine. While all of them were great, I felt this design was the one for me because it loads the trailer from front to back and because the entire unit lifts off the trailer in about 10 minutes. I set some 6x6 post with 2x12's running across. I just back the trailer underneath, remove the six 3/8" bolts that secure the box to the trailer, lift the front by hand and hook up some straps. Then I lift the back with my loader and hook up those straps. All that's left is to drive out from under the box and leave it hanging for the next time. :cool2:

mosmgras
09-25-2007, 12:36 PM
I never can figure out why everybody puts a tarp across the whole top of the leaf box. It makes so much more of a mess than necessary. Heres a shot of a typical top we build on our boxes.

Oh yea...

This year I'm adding plywood to the top of the box, leaving only the rear third of the frame open for the mesh. You're right, dust everywhere with my current setup.

LawnScapers of Dayton
09-25-2007, 03:18 PM
OK this thread is dying for pictures.........

EA Quinn
09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
heres a current shot of one of our current leaf rigs......
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66956&stc=1&d=1161817838

S3Scooter
10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Just about revamping mine a little for this year. I may be able to post some fresh pics tomarrow.

S3