PDA

View Full Version : overseeding a lawn

agm
09-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Can anyone explain to me or point me in the right direction on how to overseed a lawn? I would like to do mine at my home but have never done this before. Lawn looks fine but I would like for it to look "fuller" and fill in a few very minor bald spots. It is kentucky bluegrass.

Stillwater
09-20-2007, 03:58 AM
rent a core aerator go over the lawn several times, put some seed in a spreader and start spreading, put down a light application of starter fert and keep moist 24/7 until the seed germinates. use a good quality seed just for your region.

Stillwater
09-20-2007, 04:00 AM
I forgot to say, leave the cores where they lay do not rake them up they will melt in the rain

agm
09-20-2007, 07:38 PM
sounds fairly easy, thanks

Stillwater
09-20-2007, 11:24 PM
no problem if you have any questions pm me

MOW ED
09-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Seed to soil contact is what grows grass. If you don't have a very large area, topdress the area you seeded with some good soil. Keep it moist (not drowned) for at least 2 weeks. Just broadcasting seed on top of cores will get you about 10-20% germination if you are lucky. 80 of 100 seeds will go to the birds or rot out. If you have heavily thatched areas they have to be broken up. The core aeration will help as a step in the renovation process. The bare spots should be broken up and reseeded, why are they bare? Disease, fungus, grubs? Solve that problem first. Make sure you have adequate fertilization also. 10-10-10 is a good all purpose starter fertilizer blend. It isn't terribly difficult but you only want to do it once. Good Luck.