PDA

View Full Version : Most efficient piece of equipment for Snow

IHI
09-20-2007, 12:32 AM
What do you think is the most efficient and cost effective piece of equipment for snow removal? Keep in mind load time (or lack of load time with plow), which piece of equipment will tackle the most? Both sidewalks and parking lots in the shortest period of time and the most depths (1-36 inches) as well too ?
Is it a truck with plow?,How big of truck?
A skid with plow?
A skid with bucket?
An ATV with plow?
Tractor with plow?
Tractor with bucket?
Anything else anyone is using that I didn't mention.

I know, it probrably should be in the snow forum, but I don't have an id and would like your input from this forum.

Triple L
09-20-2007, 07:01 AM
A good ol 3500 srw, with a 9' V or a 10' Blizzard powerplow. Quick plowing speed for large lots, plus fast transport speed, Can have a salter in the back for even more effiency + most importantly, by far the most comfortable then any skid-steer or loader. and its year round, dosent take up space all summer like alot of the tractors I see.

dozerman21
09-20-2007, 07:19 AM
It just depends on what you're plowing. I have a Boss V plow on my truck. I like V's the best on a pickup because they're good in tight places, as well as large lots. It's a very quick plow, and backdrags good too.

For a loader or backhoe, I think the pusher boxes are the best. I'm thinking of getting one for my CTL sometime if I get the right accounts. For big, wide open lots, I think they would probably work best.

Like Triple L said, keep in mind the comfort factor if you're using a skid. I plow for 20 hours straight sometimes, and I know I wouldn't want to be rolling around in any piece of equipment for that long... even if it was QPS' new Cat 297C with DirectV, fridge, massage chair...:drinkup: :laugh:

TonyG
09-20-2007, 06:37 PM
a skid with a snow blower attachment?

deere615
09-20-2007, 10:25 PM
a skid with a snow blower attachment?

I was at a county fair a few months ago Bobcat had a huge all terrian vehicle(all wheel drive) with a huge snow blow attachment! They also had Bobcat skidsteer with a plow that was the most solid plow I have ever seen, I bet it would be great on a farm. But I thibk a skid with a Blower would make a great piece of snow moving equipment!

GradeMan
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
backhoe? plow in winter, and get fustrated in the summer:cool2:

TonyG
09-24-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm looking at buying a blower unit between now and December. I'd prefer a good used one as opposed to a new piece, there simply isn't enough machine there for the $7k to $8k there asking...WAY overpriced!

Gravel Rat
09-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Around here when we get snow a rubber tired backhoe (4x4) is used to clear parking lots. Its the most maneuverable and can run job to job a plow on a P/U truck is very seldom used.

Fieldman12
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I have done a good bit of snow plowing over the years. Have not used a truck but in my honest opinion a truck is fine for a big parking lot, long drive, or road where you can move a little faster but in tight quarters they are not near as manuverable or easy to see 360 degrees as a tractor, skidsteer, backhoe, or wheel loader. In my opinion a wheel loader, skid steer, or tractor is probably the overall best moving the snow. A blower is great also but I think they are a little slower. We use to have a blower made by Steiner that would go on 100+ hp tractor. I have seen people hit blocks with it and it would throw them a good 100 feet.

perkhound
09-25-2007, 11:31 PM
If you are going to be moving only snow truck plows are fine but if you have any ice the are worthless. I move a lot of snow and used skid steers on all. The ice can be brutal on cutting edges though. I find old buckets and use them on the ice and then use snow plows on the rest after the ice is broken up. If ice melt is put down before storms then ice isn't as bad. Good luck