PDA

View Full Version : It is amazing how stupid some companies are

Gravel Rat
09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Talking to a engineer last night at work about a larger project happening up the coast. Not mentioning any company names but this company shouldn't be there they have no experience working in the remote parts of B.C. .

The company has leased all brandnew equipment to do the job why they would do that is beyond me.

Here is the real stupid part they have fired 10 or so equipment operators already. From what I have been told its been over real simple stuff that you would class as wear and tear on the machine.

Uhhm don't this company know there is a shortage of equipment operators already. Firing a guy because he put a scratch in the counter weight of the excavator. Word has already gotten around not to go to work on the project and with this company firing operators with a certain ethnicity that can pull a few strings and have the gov't stop the whole project isn't very brite.

I knew this project was in for troubles when I seen the equipment they rented to do the job. Nothing was suited for forestry work and coastal road building like the project involves. .

The company behind the project should have hired forestry contractors with the proper equipment to deal with the conditions and hire local contractors that know the area.

It just shows you a company that only deals with city or municipal construction shouldn't be in areas where you put a machine through severe service like on coastal B.C..

Have to wait and see what happens the areas were hoping these projects would boost the local economy. The way they are going it may not and if they keep firing local equipment operators they hired they will be in even deeper troubles.

It just amazes me the stupidity these large companies have. Along coastal B.C word spreads fast that a company is bad to work for. The company needs coastal equipment operators with forestry road building experience.

carcrz
09-20-2007, 04:06 PM
It'll be like a major highway interchange our city has in the works. They went through 3 contractors before they found one that could properly handle the project. But it isn't always competence, sometimes it's the government taking their sweet time to pay up for services rendered. I know that alone put the first company into bankruptcy. The current contractor has received million dollar bonuses every phase for being ahead of schedule.

YardPro
09-20-2007, 07:07 PM
i am confused....

in a thread earlier you went on about how there was no work, and the economy was bad, etc....

but here you say there is a shortage of operators...

if the economy was bad and there was no work, then why would there be a shortage of operators?

mrusk
09-20-2007, 08:56 PM
its just so easy to pick on the way other companies are operating as you sit behind your goverment desk.

Atleast the company is doing something.

Gravel Rat
09-21-2007, 04:51 PM
The company doing the excavating is a large company from the States a hint their P/U trucks are yellow and black.

The company incharge of the project is a private company that runs off of stocks is a investor run company.

From what the engineer told me the whole project is miss managed and I can see it. The company doing the project has only been around for 2 years.

Like I said have to see what happens. You get a contractor in there with no experience with remote camps or experience with high production logging or road buiding in the woods. They got to build something like 65 kilometers 40 miles of road. Then there are other parts of the project.

You don't start off good firing 10 operators in less than a month of operation when they brag they are going to create 300 plus jobs :confused:

qps
09-21-2007, 05:30 PM
its just so easy to pick on the way other companies are operating as you sit behind your goverment desk.

Atleast the company is doing something.

:laugh: hiring.... firing....no work....which is it:dizzy:

Gravel Rat
09-21-2007, 06:31 PM
With the forestry strike on there are guys looking for work if the strike continues there will be lots of equipment operators looking for work.

From what I heard they are firing guys because they are scratching the paint on the brandnew equipment.

The project really isn't going to affect my area its too far away. Most operators don't want to live in a camp where the only way out is by boat or plane. I imagine a person would be working 10 days on and 5 days off or 2 weeks on 1 week off.

When you work in a camp job you live in this case a float house you go to work in the morn go back to the float house where you eat and sleep. The food is usually pretty good in camp operations. When the nearest community is 40 miles away.

grassmanvt
09-21-2007, 08:39 PM
i am confused....

in a thread earlier you went on about how there was no work, and the economy was bad, etc....

but here you say there is a shortage of operators...

if the economy was bad and there was no work, then why would there be a shortage of operators?

It seems to depend on the moon phase. Although, sometimes it changes in a single thread.:hammerhead: