PDA

View Full Version : Now that its getting cold . new to lawn care.

JE LAWN CARE
09-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Hey guys, I need a lil help. I just started my lil business last summer and now that its getting colder the grass dont grow as much. I only have around 20 accounts and I wouldnt like to stop mowing the lawns every week cause that would mean less $$..
My question is: what kind of fertilizer should I use and would this fertilizer help the lawn grow enough so I can keep mowing it every week?
Do I charge them for the fertilizer and if so, how much? theyre regular houses.

Another question. What do you guys do when customers tell you not to come 4-5 times each week Instead they only want you to come 2x. lets say if you charge them about 70.00 / month
Do you have other jobs?

thanks for your time

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-21-2007, 12:00 AM
JE
Hey how much rain or irragated lawns do you have? Try aeration or dethatching. You might want to check into the fert laws and regulations. I know it sucks when it slow down but you need to expand your services for extra money. I dont think you get much SNOW :confused: You know the white stuff you see in the mountains out there.;) Do you do leaves out there?

JE LAWN CARE
09-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Ill look into that. and no, no snow here. only in Big Bear, but thats like 60 miles from where I live.
So people pay as much to mow the lawn when you pick up their leaves.
Again, Im new to the business.
Thanks

JE LAWN CARE
09-21-2007, 12:25 AM
And yeah, since i only have around 20 accounts, I was thinking maybe start helping a fnd that cleans pools and once I learn, I can do it on the days I dont do lawns. I have a trailer so i could fit everything i need i think.

Down2EarthLawns
09-21-2007, 09:41 PM
If I have a customer that pays me monthly $70 (not $17.50 per cut), I charge the same monthly rate during the winter and show up every other week.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
09-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Ill look into that. and no, no snow here. only in Big Bear, but thats like 60 miles from where I live.
So people pay as much to mow the lawn when you pick up their leaves.
Again, Im new to the business.
Thanks

JE
Yes they pay more for leaves because they dont want to mess with them at all.:hammerhead:

JE LAWN CARE
09-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh really. well i think i made a mistake, cause for example i have a few customers that i charge 70.00 for 4 times and whenever the month had 5 weeks i used to charge them 15.00 more, for a total of 85.
Im just gonna wait until they tell me to stop coming 4 times and tell me to come every other week.
I also started making flyers for 35.00 bi weekly for a average size house, so if i get 2 houses I would do both 2 times so it would be like a whole 1 house for the summer.
Is that a good idea? then when summer comes, I would start doing their lawns 4 times and start charging 70 instead of the 35.
Does that make sense?