PDA

View Full Version : 10 acres HOW MUCH?

wrm
09-21-2007, 09:25 PM
I just got turned down on a job estimate. Lady calls me on a Friday wanting her 10 acres cut that night or next morning, she"s got a open house that saturday at 2. I went out there that Friday to look at it, basically just cutting, very little trimming, 2 very large squares for the most part. Small areas were hilly but not to bad. I gave a quote of 720, and we would of cut it the next morning after she called She said we were 2 to 3 times higher than other estimates.Was 72 per acre way off? plus cutting it less than 24 hours after she called, and it was way out in the country, about 45 minute drive, the house was for sell for 850, 000, she had some money, not that matters.
Thanks, CLEAN CUT LAWNCARE
ps WE ARE A 2 MAN OPERATION - ME AND MY EQUAL PARTNER, Nobody else

DBL
09-21-2007, 09:50 PM
i would have been down around 600

topsites
09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Oh no that's way high, the first acre is $60 but with all lawns the bigger it gets the cheaper the price per sq.ft., by the time we get to two acres we're at 50-55 an acre, three is like 140 uhh so 45-50 an acre, and it keeps getting cheaper.

For 10 acres 250-300, thou at some point no matter how large, $25 / acre is the least, 30-35 maybe for 10, ok maybe 300-350.
You gotta have the machine for it thou, a 60" Z starts to drag around 6-8 acres (meaning it loses money)...

Here's my prices, they're on special but it's not a big discount (let me just say nobody called for it all year):
One acre: $55 (12/100 cents / sq.foot)
1.25 acres = $65
1.5 acres = $75 (11/100 cents / sq.foot)
2 acres = $90 ($45.00 / acre)
2.5 acres = $110
3 acres = $130 ($43.33 / acre)
4 acres = $150 ($37.50 / acre)
5 acres = $170 ($34.00 / acre)
6 acres = $190 ($31.66 / acre)
7 acres = $210 ($30.00 / acre)
8 acres = $225 ($28.12 / acre)
9 acres = $240 ($26.66 / acre)
10 acres = $255 ($25.50 / acre)

Now that's in virginia, I reckon you might get a little more for it up north, but certainly even 400 would be high anywhere, me thinks.
I would've done it for 300, maybe, but I didn't see it, can't say for sure but probably.

Because you gotta look at it this way, how much money can you earn working ALL day right now?
200-250-300 right?
That's pretty good money for a day this time of year in my book, you might earn 400 you might not, even if you do 10 lawns.
So, why not earn it all in 1 spot, it's like one stop shopping.
It does work out, you won't use nearly the fuel in the truck, only thing that gets megahours is the mower and you.
So long the grass isn't super tall or any other weird stuff.

MowHouston
09-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Awesome advice Topsites. I was just thinking about that the other day (for the future). First thing that jumped to my head was $60/acre but what you've said makes a lot of sense and is probably why he got turned down on the estimate.

I'll definately use this method when I get bigger jobs in the future.

topsites
09-21-2007, 11:39 PM
I did want to add, you might not be as wrong as you think.
You really did the right thing by not letting the bling bling blind you, then again you might've got a little too excited, money in my face still does it to me all the time.

Because how do you know it was 10 acres?
Did you measure it out or look it up online?
Because I could not tell you by looking at it, large lots, once we get much past one acre they fool me.

You need some kind of a way to measure or find out lot size, much past an acre eyeballing just isn't accurate, maybe it was 12 acres or 14... I wouldn't be taking the customer's word for it, nothing personal because it protects both you and the customer, what if it was only 8 acres (it could be), the point I'm making is you have to know.

But there's no telling, either way better too high than too low.
You could call her back and tell her you made a mistake, 250-300 ...
But what kind of a machine have you got, you really almost need a 72" deck.
A 48" Wb about take 12 hours minimum, not sure on a Z but I wouldn't want to spend two days there, then it gets nasty.

Awesome advice Topsites. I was just thinking about that the other day (for the future). First thing that jumped to my head was $60/acre but what you've said makes a lot of sense and is probably why he got turned down on the estimate.

I'll definately use this method when I get bigger jobs in the future.

Oh yeah, nothing would please me more than a few super large lots on my schedule, do 5 acres in the am, break for lunch and fuel up the z, come back and knock out the last 5, blam, 250-300...
Do that 5-6 days a week what have you got?
Same as right now, almost for sure.

You have to know the books, but that to me is dang good money for a day of grass cutting, might get a bit tedious but whatever.

But you also need some kind of a way to at least somewhat corroborate or double check that size.
Doesn't have to be perfect but close would be nice.
You might try www.zillow.com that gives you the lot's total square footage.

Now if zillow says 10 or 11 acres ok, but if it says 14-16 ...
It's still not for sure, parts of the lot could be in the woods, but as a heads up.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-21-2007, 11:42 PM
This is why you bid on time not the property size. $720!!! That is outragous. It's one location which means no drive time to different sites. We're all in this to make money but don't burn your customers just because they live in a high dollar home.

MowHouston
09-21-2007, 11:54 PM
That Zillow site. Does that give you the actual full lot size or is that the square footage of the home at the address?

wrm
09-21-2007, 11:54 PM
your right I shouldn't trust the customer, she said it was 10 acres, but I felt I wasn't punishing her because of her money. But for the fact she needed it cut that morning - no notice, yet we were going to do it. But I obviously screwed up the estimate. But was thinking 6 or 7 hours for 2 people, total of 12 man hours = 60 per hour plus it being an emergency call.
we have a 48 wb and 36wb
thanks for all the help

All_Toro_4ME
09-22-2007, 12:58 AM
your right I shouldn't trust the customer, she said it was 10 acres, but I felt I wasn't punishing her because of her money. But for the fact she needed it cut that morning - no notice, yet we were going to do it. But I obviously screwed up the estimate. But was thinking 6 or 7 hours for 2 people, total of 12 man hours = 60 per hour plus it being an emergency call.
we have a 48 wb and 36wb
thanks for all the help

Well I guess I'll be the odd one out here, but honestly wrm I think you were probably in a good range. I've seen some charge a certain fee for the first acre, and then thereafter its a discount. Then others I've seen a flat rate regardless of the number of acres. I don't think it matters all that much around here. Other LCO's and even myself charge between 60-90 an acre, depending on the slopes and trimming. Hasnt ever been a problem to get those prices. Could be area of the country, I have no idea. I personally dont think you were too high, but it seems many others here that are from the east coast think you were.

lifetree
09-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Topsites -- Very good information, thank you !! By the way, on the Zillow site it doesn't look the properties in my county have the lot size ... I guess they don't provide that info. ??

Dunn's
09-22-2007, 01:33 AM
I think you where in a good range. You have to remember alot of the people giving advice don't even get the amounts they say they do. I have been told by a few in our area they charge $40+ then find they are more like $20 when they bid against us.

desii
09-22-2007, 01:36 AM
we have a 48 wb and 36wb

I, too, think you were pretty high, but trying to cut 10 acres with only a 48 and 36 would be like torture (to me, at least).

I had a 8 acre property (wide open) and we used to get around $200/cut. Factor in the last minute call, maybe you should've been in the 3-400 neighborhood..IMO.

lifetree
09-22-2007, 11:13 AM
I had a 8 acre property (wide open) and we used to get around $200/cut. Factor in the last minute call, maybe you should've been in the 3-400 neighborhood .. IMO.

This sounds like a good range to me !!

HOOLIE
09-22-2007, 02:45 PM
I think you actually bid it well, based upon the equipment you own. Probably pretty close on the time estimate as well. But this was a case of, you have the wrong equipment for that size job. The guys that can do it for less, they have much bigger and faster equipment.

Good thing you bid it the way you did, or you and your partner would be out basically all day with the driving for a couple hundred bucks. :dizzy:

Sweet Tater
09-22-2007, 02:58 PM
i would have been down around 600

Ditto that, for an easy acre I'll charge about 60.. so times 10

Sweet Tater
09-22-2007, 03:08 PM
You might try www.zillow.com that gives you the lot's total square footage.

Would you believe none of my customers show in that site;)

LawnMowerMan2003
09-24-2007, 05:42 AM
I, too, think you were pretty high, but trying to cut 10 acres with only a 48 and 36 would be like torture (to me, at least).

I had a 8 acre property (wide open) and we used to get around $200/cut. Factor in the last minute call, maybe you should've been in the 3-400 neighborhood..IMO.

8 acres for $200??? I charge $150 for one lol

desii
09-24-2007, 09:08 AM
8 acres for $200??? I charge $150 for one lol

True, but I was using a Jacobsen 5111 and got it done in little over an hour. So, I think I made out OK. :)

topsites
09-24-2007, 09:36 AM
Ditto that, for an easy acre I'll charge about 60.. so times 10

No guys, look I don't want another argument but it really does get cheaper as the lot grows EXCEPT if you don't have the machines and I'll get back to this but...

Think of a 1/4 acre is $30, by this math an acre should be $120, and 10 acres $1200, right?
What if all I have is a 21"...? But that isn't how it works, grass cutting services keep getting cheaper with size, the total paid is still more but the $ / sq.ft. is less, and less. This is why the $ / hour math isn't perfect too, it just doesn't always work out like that,
I think once we get into lots we can't do due to size, things like golf courses might be a bit higher because of the extra care required, but if we get one of these 120" decks that can get the job done, it's easier to see, there are way bigger machines out there, generally referred to as WAM's.

Now if you don't have the equipment then you must charge what you have to in order not to take too bad a beating, but you should also either let the customer know what you are doing, or at least don't be too surprised if the customer lets on that it sounds high...

And I do agree, a 48" is inadequate for this. Every mower is designed for specific lot sizes, the 48" does best from 1/4 acre UP to an acre, that's where this deck size stands out in speed and efficiency. Once a machine gets into lots outside of what it was designed for, we lose, but the customer is not at fault for this, if anybody is then we are, I'm not saying you should feel obligated to take a beating no, but it might be the wrong job to bid for you, if it's too much...

Would you believe none of my customers show in that site;)

arg, yeah I forgot about that, sorry to hear it.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-24-2007, 01:09 PM
True, but I was using a Jacobsen 5111 and got it done in little over an hour. So, I think I made out OK. :)

Well one factor I forgot was the edging/trimming. If you did it in one hour I'm assuming you didn't have any edging, because the edging and trimming on a 1 acre corner lot alone took me over 2 hours; it was a little overgrown but I don't think I could ever do it in less than 1 hour, by the time I have to go around both sides of 2 sides of the fence and do all that sidewalk.

Now, it was horrible doing all that mowing with a 21" but I would still charge $150 with a larger mower; I'm just doing it now with a 21" so I can keep the customer.

Now, I wasn't aware that you could mow 10 acres in an hour, but is $200 really the average price for an open 10 acre lot?

topsites
09-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Now, I wasn't aware that you could mow 10 acres in an hour, but is $200 really the average price for an open 10 acre lot?

Ok man, I'll help you out a little because you're really hurting, but yes 250 is a nice price for 10 acres, not too much, not too low. But you're using a 21" so it takes an hour just to cut an acre? LOL it takes me 28-33 minutes with the 60" Z at 10-12 mph, I don't understand exactly because that z cuts 6-8 times what a 21" would cut meaning 3-4 hours is more like it for an acre 21"d, but anyhow that's the thing: You have to have the right machine for the job.
All math and money issues aside, having the right machine for the job is what it boils down to.
Because it's not fair to the customer, just because you're using a small machine that they have to pay more, but I wouldn't argue about it, you know, if you can get 120 for it then more power to you, I'm just saying thou. It's not entirely unfair either, small machines scalp less, technically speaking it should do a better job, but yeah, the bigger the lot the cheaper it gets.

That having been said, go on out and get yourself a handheld sprayer, like a 2 - 2.5 gallon one, and a smallish bottle of round-up concentrate (I think 32 or 64 oz) that comes with the plastic red see-through measuring cup.
Now measure out what it says in the instructions, I believe you will be using 3 ounces per gallon of water but read up on it because I don't remember exact... Then once it's all mixed you bring that along and the next time a fence gets in your way, what you do is spray a THIN line of round up all along that thing with the sprayer.
You have to be pretty accurate, make sure it's a thin spray you put down because the stuff spreads, you only need like a 1" border so thin and surgical is the key. This will likely set you back about 80 bucks but guess what?
No more string trimming THAT fence for like a month!
And with the sprayer you do one side all along, spray it dead center where the fence touches down and blam, clear fence line.

Took me 2-3 years to figure out the round-up trick, but ever since I haven't string trimmed many fences, and you do make out $ too.

fool32696
09-24-2007, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't have even considered bidding on that property with a 48" being my largest machine. When you get up to 10acres anything more than $30/acre is a rip off unless it's bush hogging. Believe it or not I know a guy that will bush hog 10 acres for a little over $100.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Topsites: Your post is confusing me, except for the idea about roundup, which is good, but $80 a month would eat into my profit too much because nobody is living at that house and they aren't getting it done often enough, which is one reason it's $150, but I've heard 2 other lawn services quote $150 for a acre, assuming you have to do trimming; Even if you have a big mower, you'll have to spend some time trimming, or make a profit on that $80 you spent on roundup.

I didn't say I could mow it one hour! I said I would like to be able to trim and edge it in one hour, which I might be able to do with a stick edger. The mowing took me about 4.5 hours, but that could be cut down with the Toro because the John Deere 14ST is pretty slow, and there were parts of it that weren't too high.

Anyway, I understand I need a larger mower, but I'm glad I took that acre lot, because the customer has another empty lot, and I need the business, so with the money those bother bring in I should be able to save up for a larger mower. Unfortunately, it still may be a little small for 1 acre cause I'm probably going to need a 32-36" wb so I can get in the back gates on my other lawns; it still wouldn't make sense to buy something bigger I can only use on 2 properties. But I don't think it was a mistake to take the business.

LawnInOrder
09-24-2007, 03:58 PM
i do a 4 acre lot on long island for $240. $60 an acre with no trimming. pretty much an easy mow. 6 different sections. approx 2 hours with a 42" stander and a 36" stander. no bad in my book.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-24-2007, 04:11 PM
$150 for 4.5 hours is ok money. But a $150 for a 1 acre yard, make sure you use vaseline, cause your screwing the customer. The fact that you don't have the right equipment is YOUR fault not theirs. I don't see how any LCO can make good money only using 21's, I just don't think they could be productive enough. The $80 worth of roundup will last you a while, not just one yard (you should be licsensed but that's another story), so it really is worth it to use it. It saves you time and TIME=$$$$$$. Why not target lawns that you are capable of doing with your current setup and able to make quick money?

LawnMowerMan2003
09-24-2007, 04:54 PM
$150 for 4.5 hours is ok money. But a $150 for a 1 acre yard, make sure you use vaseline, cause your screwing the customer. The fact that you don't have the right equipment is YOUR fault not theirs. I don't see how any LCO can make good money only using 21's, I just don't think they could be productive enough. The $80 worth of roundup will last you a while, not just one yard (you should be licsensed but that's another story), so it really is worth it to use it. It saves you time and TIME=$$$$$$. Why not target lawns that you are capable of doing with your current setup and able to make quick money?

I don't think I am screwing them over. Let me explain a few factors, some I have already stated:

The customer called me and asked for a quote and it was overgrown. I probably would not have attempted it the first time with a 21" but I was able to hire a friend with a riding mower, that we longer have use of, unfortunately, so I said $200 for the first time.

It still took about 3 hours of mowing with a pretty good size John Deere rider because it was so overgrown and the weed trimming took almost as long so when the customer asked me to do it on a regular basis I said I might have to charge $200 again, because nobody lives in the house and they only wanted it mowed once a month and the customer's assistant said "Well she might not pay that much because the last guy was going to do it for $150 on a regular basis...", so I decided to give it a try but I told for $150 we better make sure it doesn't get too high.

I was in the rental place renting a T-270 cause my Echo curved shaft would kill my back on 1 acre, and an employee said he thought $150 was too low but he asked a guy that mowed what he would charge for 1 acre and he said "$150", without knowing that it's a corner lot.

Since it's a corner lot that means I have to do all that extra edging on the sidewalk on 2 sides and edge both sides of a fence on those same 2 sides, so that means it takes considerably more time, regardless of if I had a larger mower. So 2 other lawn services in my area have said $150 for 1 acre and one quoted it to the owner of the property so I do not feel that I am screwing the customer over.

As to the question about my equipment, I partially answered that before, but of course I am looking for small lawns about 4,000 square feet or less that I try to get $35 for, and should take no longer than 1 hour, hopefully less.

The customer called me and she has 2 acres, plus a small office property; and even if she only mows those 1 acre properties once a month, if she is willing to pay $150 for them, that's an extra $300 of business a month that I should not turn down just because I don't have larger mowers yet; I only have about 15-20 smaller lawns and around here most of them want it every other week so I needed the business.

All_Toro_4ME
09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
I don't think I am screwing them over. Let me explain a few factors, some I have already stated:

The customer called me and asked for a quote and it was overgrown. I probably would not have attempted it the first time with a 21" but I was able to hire a friend with a riding mower, that we longer have use of, unfortunately, so I said $200 for the first time.

It still took about 3 hours of mowing with a pretty good size John Deere rider because it was so overgrown and the weed trimming took almost as long so when the customer asked me to do it on a regular basis I said I might have to charge $200 again, because nobody lives in the house and they only wanted it mowed once a month and the customer's assistant said "Well she might not pay that much because the last guy was going to do it for $150 on a regular basis...", so I decided to give it a try but I told for $150 we better make sure it doesn't get too high.

I was in the rental place renting a T-270 cause my Echo curved shaft would kill my back on 1 acre, and an employee said he thought $150 was too low but he asked a guy that mowed what he would charge for 1 acre and he said "$150", without knowing that it's a corner lot.

Since it's a corner lot that means I have to do all that extra edging on the sidewalk on 2 sides and edge both sides of a fence on those same 2 sides, so that means it takes considerably more time, regardless of if I had a larger mower. So 2 other lawn services in my area have said $150 for 1 acre and one quoted it to the owner of the property so I do not feel that I am screwing the customer over.

As to the question about my equipment, I partially answered that before, but of course I am looking for small lawns about 4,000 square feet or less that I try to get $35 for, and should take no longer than 1 hour, hopefully less.

The customer called me and she has 2 acres, plus a small office property; and even if she only mows those 1 acre properties once a month, if she is willing to pay $150 for them, that's an extra $300 of business a month that I should not turn down just because I don't have larger mowers yet; I only have about 15-20 smaller lawns and around here most of them want it every other week so I needed the business.

I agree with ya. Nothing wrong with getting prime rates for acre props. As long as the cust. is willing to pay it, repeatedly, whats the problem. Can make as much or more then the res. accounts, especially if you have a lot of windshied time on the res. accts. Good job.

Supper Grassy
09-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Topsites, Very good info,

zillow is a cool site.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
If you can get that great. I still say anyone willing to pay that much for only an acre is crazy. We don't even charge that to bushhog a lot that size!!! As far as other companies quoting that, maybe your area is able to do that (I thought Texas was about the same style market we have here) I see guys here quoting $75 for a 1/4 acre yard, they don't get it and most only last a season. If you comfortable doing hard work for that then thats great. Remember the idea is to work smart not hard, so first chance you get upgrade to bigger, faster equipment. Best of luck.

Dunn's
09-24-2007, 07:21 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: How is $150 prime rates on a 1 acre lot when they are only cutting it once a month Min $60 for 1 acre and that is for weekly. Bi-weekly would be like 108. So once a month would be atleast double that. :laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HOOLIE
09-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Just as a side note...but I don't GET these folks that buy 10 acre lots and then think "Oh god how are we gonna cut the grass???" then all these LCOs bend over backwards to give a dirt-cheap price and justify it because there's less 'windshield time' Hell...I can make more $$$ pulling frikkin' weeds in the same time some guys will bend over and take it to mow 10 acres.

OK, just wanted to get that out of my system :laugh:

topsites
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Just as a side note...but I don't GET these folks that buy 10 acre lots and then think "Oh god how are we gonna cut the grass???" then all these LCOs bend over backwards to give a dirt-cheap price and justify it because there's less 'windshield time' Hell...I can make more $$$ pulling frikkin' weeds in the same time some guys will bend over and take it to mow 10 acres.

OK, just wanted to get that out of my system :laugh:

Either you see the logic behind acre+ lots or you don't, obviously you're either not getting any calls for them or you haven't won any of those bids, which I'm not entirely against what you're saying... Those calls ARE rare and then they DO want us to lowball the price, on that note you are correct that I'm not doing it for less than what I should get.

Yeah I get it too, it's like hmmm they're saying it's 1.5 acres but *I* think it's 2...
Ok, so lets just make it 80-100...
Then they're like 'ok if you make it 80 you got it.'
And I'm like no, my incentive just walked out the door, what if it IS 2 acres, I don't trust someone's word any further than I can throw a stone either, it is a dog eat dog world out there.

Then there are days I earn 3-400 just like that, just today I billed close to 600 for a half a day, but there was a TON of cost involved so by the time the math works out it's not very amazing, really I'm lucky to take 200 with me. But do 10 acres / day 5 days a week for 250-300 each and you got 1250-1500 a week, what difference does it make?

Now if I had a 102" or wider cut it likely wouldn't take but 4 hours to knock it out, ok make it 300 maybe 20-25 acre is too cheap for 10, it is possible that doesn't come in until 20+ acres, but 30 / acre isn't that cheap either. No doubt, you bought it you gotta deal with it, that much we agree on.

The absolute worst part is getting stuck in one place ALL day, but I tell you it frustrates me just as bad when my machines don't even get up to normal operating temperature before I'm back at the truck switching again... That's really not good either.

In a perfect world, every single lawn would be fertilized and irrigated, needs cut weekly, is a flat perfect square with a wooden area to dump any debris, and the size is ALWAYS between 1/4 and 1 acre and it always works out to the exact square footage of a price chart so then it's easy.

Right ...

desii
09-25-2007, 01:07 AM
.............. but if we get one of those 120" decks that can get the job done, it's easier to see, there are way bigger machines out there, generally referred to as WAM's.

That's correct...here's a couple of mine...

Actually, we can and these are "rated" at 14 acres per hour....each. We don't usually get that, but it's close.

HOOLIE
09-25-2007, 01:14 AM
Either you see the logic behind acre+ lots or you don't, obviously you're either not getting any calls for them or you haven't won any of those bids, which I'm not entirely against what you're saying... Those calls ARE rare and then they DO want us to lowball the price, on that note you are correct that I'm not doing it for less than what I should get.

Yeah I get it too, it's like hmmm they're saying it's 1.5 acres but *I* think it's 2...
Ok, so lets just make it 80-100...
Then they're like 'ok if you make it 80 you got it.'
And I'm like no, my incentive just walked out the door, what if it IS 2 acres, I don't trust someone's word any further than I can throw a stone either, it is a dog eat dog world out there.

Then there are days I earn 3-400 just like that, just today I billed close to 600 for a half a day, but there was a TON of cost involved so by the time the math works out it's not very amazing, really I'm lucky to take 200 with me. But do 10 acres / day 5 days a week for 250-300 each and you got 1250-1500 a week, what difference does it make?

Now if I had a 102" or wider cut it likely wouldn't take but 4 hours to knock it out, ok make it 300 maybe 20-25 acre is too cheap for 10, it is possible that doesn't come in until 20+ acres, but 30 / acre isn't that cheap either. No doubt, you bought it you gotta deal with it, that much we agree on.

The absolute worst part is getting stuck in one place ALL day, but I tell you it frustrates me just as bad when my machines don't even get up to normal operating temperature before I'm back at the truck switching again... That's really not good either.

In a perfect world, every single lawn would be fertilized and irrigated, needs cut weekly, is a flat perfect square with a wooden area to dump any debris, and the size is ALWAYS between 1/4 and 1 acre and it always works out to the exact square footage of a price chart so then it's easy.

Right ...

Not that I don't see the 'logic' in it, but in my area, as well as many other guys' areas, small lots are predominant. You're likely to have mowers geared toward 3-6k lots. So to take on a 10 acre lot with that equipment is foolish. How many tiny lots could you do in the same time, how much money could you make doing other jobs in the same time?

desii
09-25-2007, 01:30 AM
No guys, look I don't want another argument but it really does get cheaper as the lot grows EXCEPT if you don't have the machines and I'll get back to this but...

Think of a 1/4 acre is $30, by this math an acre should be $120, and 10 acres $1200, right?

Another thing that needs to be considered is drive time and vehicle wear and tear. If you have FOUR 1/4 acre lots and have to drive miles between each, or you have ONE 1 acre lot...which do you think would be priced higher (or lower)? Bottom line, to me at least, is that you have to make a "per hour" price to cover your costs. If you're paying someone and there just riding in a truck (between jobs), there costing you money, or you could be on a large site with less travel time and work getting done. Either way you have to recover your costs. JMO.

BeautifulBlooms
09-25-2007, 01:31 AM
Topsites???

I am always wondering is this lot size or is this lawn area size?

One acre: $55 (12/100 cents / sq.foot)
1.25 acres = $65
1.5 acres = $75 (11/100 cents / sq.foot)
2 acres = $90 ($45.00 / acre)
2.5 acres = $110
3 acres = $130 ($43.33 / acre)
4 acres = $150 ($37.50 / acre)
5 acres = $170 ($34.00 / acre)
6 acres = $190 ($31.66 / acre)
7 acres = $210 ($30.00 / acre)
8 acres = $225 ($28.12 / acre)
9 acres = $240 ($26.66 / acre)
10 acres = $255 ($25.50 / acre)

I have been struggling to meet many bids for lawn mowing I have to make money at it so if they turn me down oh well. but I have been mowing lots between 10,000 and 30,000 with a 52" ferris 1500Z My minimum price is $35 and my maximum at the 30K lawn is $55 which takes me about 1 hour average to mow trim and blow.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-25-2007, 01:38 AM
That's correct...here's a couple of mine...

Actually, we can and these are "rated" at 14 acres per hour....each. We don't usually get that, but it's close.

Wow, I've always thought those mowers were cool with the decks that fold out. So you don't have any weed trimming?

desii
09-25-2007, 01:52 AM
There's always some trimming, but it is minimal. You can get under trees and can easily go around a (mulched) tree...and they come close to a zero turn radius at the end of a stripe.

capetan
09-25-2007, 01:53 AM
with the proper equipment say a 72" you should be able to do 5 acres an hour ....... i have only been in the landscaping / lawn business for a year and if you multiply the size of your machine by $2 thats what you should probably charge an hour EX: say a 36" mower charge 72 an hour, a 21" charge 42 an hour, give or take a little, by doing it this way, it weighs the cost of the equipment with time it takes to do the job ....... so 10 acres a 72" mower 144 an hour 2 hours of work equals $288 for 10 acres ....... so 720 bucks for 10 acres is not a competitive price (but for your equipment a 36 and 48) thats what you would charge, it simply means you dont have the right equipment for the job, lesson learned dont take on a 10 acre lot with a walk behind, its like taking down a 100 tall tree with a hand saw

Soupy
09-25-2007, 02:25 AM
Topsites, Do you cut 10 acre lots?

stuffdeer
09-25-2007, 10:33 AM
I do a 6 acre lot for 300/wk.

I'd do a 10 acre lot for 550 to 600, with not to much trimming.

All_Toro_4ME
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I do a 4 acre lot once a month for $300. Very little trimming. Easy mow.

wrm
09-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys for all the help and advice.
But just a reminder, I know we didn't have the ideal equiptment for 10 acres,but she called us as a emergency that needed cut that next morning.
I didn't think many other companies would even attempt on such short notice, which included estimating first. But I realize I messed up the bid,
I think I should of gone about 500, not the 250 - 300 that some have quoted.
Again thanks for all the advice and GOODLUCK the rest of season.

Cheffy
09-27-2007, 10:21 PM
how much would you be willing to pay I know I wouldn't be willing to pay 720 to have it mowed. I know it would make you more money to mow it 25 times a year for $280. - $300. $7500.00 a year not $720.00 once

wrm
09-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Your not paying attention, this was a ONE time, " emergency" call, she was having open house the next morning, mower they was using broke down ( 48 club cadet ) and it was pretty overgrown.