PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience installing above ground water tanks?

TXTom
09-22-2007, 09:21 AM
I am getting ready to add a 2500 gallon storage tank to my water system. I am using a 2500 gallon polyethylene tank. The tank will be sitting at ground level. I would prefer to scratch out a nice level spot and then compact 3-4"s of base or filings for a pad. The soil in my area is a combination of black dirt and perforated limestone. Solid rock is more than 2' below grade. What are your experiences with installing storage tanks on grade? Is my ~25000lbs of water going to shift the tank? The tank base is a 9' diameter circle.

Thanks,
Tom

Gravel Rat
09-22-2007, 02:38 PM
I would pour a concrete pad to put the tank on then you know its not going to move. If the ground is shifting under the concrete pad its not going to distort the poly tank.

Bob Horrell
09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
I live in a rural area where we all are on wells and have above ground storage tanks. I do tractor work for the local well pump company and grade pads to set storage tanks. We have never set one on concrete. Usually we set them on pea gravel (for good drainage) on a level compacted pad. We use a galvanized ring around the pad to contain the pea gravel. Any gravel that isn't too course would work as well. At 9ft dia., you have about 9150 sq.in. of base and 2500 gal of water weighs just over 20,500lbs plus the weight of the tank. Therefore the weight per sq.in. is just over 2lbs. A little kids footprint is between 3 to 4 lbs/sq.in. So you can see the pressure is not that great. A concrete pad is overkill.
The only time you would have a problem would be if the pad was at the base of a hill and a lot of rain runoff ran down the hill and sat around the pad and saturated it. You would want to make a swale above the tank to direct the runoff somewhere else away from the pad.

TXTom
09-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Bob-

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of using pea gravel. Do you make your own galvanized ring, or does someone sell them ready made? I was thinking about making a large contained pea gravel area for the storage tank, pressure tank, and jet pump. I would put the jet pump and pressure tank on a concrete AC pad set on the pea gravel. I can make my own steel edge with some 4" 12 gauge plate I have around.

Thanks,
Tom