PDA

View Full Version : Are leaf vacs worth the money?

S.C.G Landscaping
09-22-2007, 11:29 AM
Ive been contemplating buying a leaf vac to put on my trailer to blow leafs into my truck. Right now i have my eye on an 18hp billy goat. I'm just unsure if it is worth spending the money on and whether or not it will save me time on fall clean ups. Any comments wuld be appreciated.

lawnpro724
09-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Are you asking about leaf vac's or leaf loaders? From your description it seems your talking about leaf loaders. Leaf loaders work great if you have room to take leaves with your when your done, they make loading up very easy and fast. If your talking about leaf vac's , save your money and buy a good backpack you will be happier.

thomsoutdoor
09-23-2007, 08:25 AM
I have a Vacuum attached to one of my mowers and its mainly for show. I had a Vacuum , loader, attached to a trailer which I got rid of. I good back pack blower and the art of mulching you can do away with vacuuming and hauling away a ton of leaves.

gene gls
09-23-2007, 11:09 PM
Ive been contemplating buying a leaf vac to put on my trailer to blow leafs into my truck. Right now i have my eye on an 18hp billy goat. I'm just unsure if it is worth spending the money on and whether or not it will save me time on fall clean ups. Any comments wuld be appreciated.

Billy Goat truck loaders are a very good brand. Last I knew, they had replaceable blower linnings. Most units you have to weld or replace the housing when it wears a hole in it.

scalpit77
09-24-2007, 11:55 AM

Yes, they are worth the money, and yes they will save you time during leaf season.

Tvov
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Depends a lot on what your customers want. Most of my customers want the leaves removed from their yard. I have a Billy Goat loader mounted on the front my dump truck, with a Briggs and Stratton engine that just won't die. Even on some customer's yards where they say I can dump in the woods in the back of the property, many times it saves me time to remove the leaves using the dump truck.

Leaf loaders are very basic machines. You've got the engine, impellor, and impellor housing. When looking at different brands, you want a thick, heavy duty impellor (or fan). The housing should be made of heavy steel, and having replaceable lining(s) are a big plus. See if the dealer can include a replacement impellor, or at least one at a discount, when you buy. With any kind of regular use, you are going to have to replace the impellor eventually. If it is aftermarket, MAKE SURE the impellor is at least as heavy duty as the original. Many aftermarket impellors are made of thinner, cheaper steel and they just don't last.

Another lawn service company in my area has had trouble with the Kohler engines, but that was a few years ago so hopefully they are better now.

It is a lot of money to buy a new loader, and it may take a few years to "pay it off", but I think in the long run they are definitely worth it.

avjohnson
09-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Hey SGC I'm from you're area and I was wondering this exact same thing. You must be my long-lost twin?

S.C.G Landscaping
09-24-2007, 05:52 PM
anythings possible avjohnson. Thanks everyone for all your input on the subject, i think will buy a leaf loader before this fall

wski4fun
09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
think about a 25HP loader. I found with anything under a twenty is just not enough. Also after you turn the machine off, blow off the truck so when you start the truck up all that dust isn't being sucked in. You may also want to put lights on it or the back of the truck to give a little more time at the end of the day. You will love the thing and wonder how you ever did leaves without it.

DuallyVette
09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
think about a 25HP loader. I found with anything under a twenty is just not enough. Also after you turn the machine off, blow off the truck so when you start the truck up all that dust isn't being sucked in. You may also want to put lights on it or the back of the truck to give a little more time at the end of the day. You will love the thing and wonder how you ever did leaves without it.

DITTO !!!............