PDA

View Full Version : Low Mow height Turf in Shade

TSwapp
09-19-2001, 03:03 PM
Anyone know of a variety of turfgrass that will tolerate low mow heights (1/4" - 3/4"), will grow well in the northern transition zone (VA near DC) and will do well in shade (moderate to heavy)?

The lot is in sun for maybe 3 hours starting mid morning.

Bermuda won't work because of the shade.

ceeping bents would but I think I need a little more sun to be safe with them.

I have also looked at Zoysia's but am concerned about the heat.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

lawnboy82
09-19-2001, 03:39 PM
Why do you want to cut so low? In the shade the longer the blades (to a point) the better off you are. Also, you can check out something called "Primo" this will make the turf grow horizontally as opposed to vertically. You will not be able to cut every week, and you will have to treat about every 4 weeks.

TSwapp
09-19-2001, 04:46 PM
I simply like the look of the low mow grasses (think golf greens/tees), but do not know if it is feasible (as far as availability of grass variety for the conditions goes) for my current yard.

HOWARD JONES
09-19-2001, 04:55 PM
I would suggest contacting your local agriculture extension service - my limited search on Zoysia shows it is fine in the heat but will not grow in the shade. Bentgrass is the short guy you're looking for, but my search seems to agree with you that it probably needs more sunlight - honestly I'm afraid your conditions are not right for short grass (in the shade).