PDA

View Full Version : DOT Regulations

memac259
09-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I started a new business this year and have tried to get all the proper permits, tax #'s etc. Now I hearing that in Maryland, where I'm from that I need DOT numbers, etc if I'm pulling a trailer for use in a commercial business. I can't find any info.......does anyone know if this is true and what the details are??

desii
09-22-2007, 05:42 PM
I don't think it's just because you live in Maryland... DOT numbers are Federally controlled, as I understand it. You can get an Intrastate (Maryland only) or Interstate (Entire US).

I don't know too much more than that, but I believe you can go online and have one in like 10 minutes. Try Goolgle for more info or search this site. I'm sure someone will come here and help you out more, soon.

PerfectEarth
09-22-2007, 05:49 PM
In KY, you must have a DOT# and business name on the truck if it is used for commercial use and has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or more. This includes a trailer that is over 10,000 lbs. or more also.... So basically, if you have a 3/4 ton or over and are out making cash, you need one. It's easy- sorta....

GO HERE-- http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Breezmister
09-22-2007, 09:41 PM
I can't find any info.......does anyone know if this is true and what the details are??

http://www.dot.gov/

Hope this link helps

lawnman_scott
09-22-2007, 10:35 PM
search for maryland dot laws. All you will get here is people telling you how it is everywehre but maryland. And it isnt universal in every state.

cutbetterthanyou
09-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Call 1-410-582-5734 or 1-800-543-4564 for maryland #s. Maryland #s you can't cross state lines. federal #s i can't help you

topsites
09-23-2007, 12:53 AM
These are the federal guidelines for all 50 states:

Commercial Motor Vehicle (49 CFR Part 390.5)

Commercial motor vehicle means any self-propelled or towed motor vehicle used on a highway in interstate commerce to transport passengers or property when the vehicle:

1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating, or gross vehicle weight or gross combination weight, of 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) or more, whichever is greater; or
2. Is designed or used to transport more than 8 passengers (including the driver) for compensation; or
3. Is designed or used to transport more than 15 passengers, including the driver, and is not used to transport passengers for compensation; or
4. Is used in transporting material found by the Secretary of Transportation to be hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and transported in a quantity requiring placarding under regulations prescribed by the Secretary under 49 CFR, subtitle B, chapter I, subchapter C.

GREENTIMEJG
09-23-2007, 02:02 AM
I worked for several companies in neb not just doing landscaping but it seems that in that state they go with gross weight. we needed dot numbers on almost all trucks. I think it is just a way for the state to make money somehow but any way thats how it was. Not sure how it is in your state.

Runner
09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
It is kind of a funny thing, because in Michigan, while the law was adopted in 1990, it is now going to be enforced. We are required to have applied for it by Jan.1 2008, and must be displayed on the vehicles by Jan.1 2009.

cutbetterthanyou
09-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I worked for several companies in neb not just doing landscaping but it seems that in that state they go with gross weight. we needed dot numbers on almost all trucks. I think it is just a way for the state to make money somehow but any way thats how it was. Not sure how it is in your state.

In maryland the state #s are free. But the fed #s aren't.