PDA

View Full Version : Sealcoating Question

JayD
09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
For the one's on here that seal-coat / fill in the cracks, I have a question for you please.

I was out mowing one of my comm. customers today and she had a comp. out there filling in the cracks in the parking lot and I had noticed that they were not cleaning out the dirt before filling it in and raking over it. Is this how you all do this?
The reason I'm asking is because as a car would pull in and drive over it, it would just pull up and you could see all the dirt stuck to it.
Now, I know I know nothing about how you all do this, but it seems to me that you would blow it out or something before you put down the gunk.
Am I wrong ?
Please tell me if they did it right.
Thanks for your input.
Jay*trucewhiteflag*

skeens
09-22-2007, 11:51 PM
no, it sounds as if they did not do it right. The best way to prepare a crack for sealant is to remove all the debris within the crack. A heat lance with compressed air works best, and be sure that all the debris (stones, vegetation, sand, cigarette butts, water, oil, etc) is gone leaving a clean crevice prior to sealing the crack. Then pour sealant in. It's best to use hot pour sealant vs. cold pour. If done properly, the sealant will not pull or track from the crack.

tedford69
09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
I use a rough broom to rough up anything in the cracks and around them, then I use a back pack blower to blow it out. It the dirt is really packed in there you might have use a screwdriver or something to loosen it up before you blow it out. As for filling the cracks I use Silica sand mixed with tar and put it in the cracks with a 4 inch putty knife. Takes a little longer to do it this way but I've had no problems with it yet. Then you spray over top of it all. Hope it helps.

JayD
09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
There were a lot of cracks to fill, in fact, I thought they should have just coated the whole parking lot. They poured that hot tar right over dirt, cigarettebuts, and everything else that was in its path. Now my wife who just happens to work there, came home with one of her tires coated with a thick layer of it. It probably pulled up a hole piece when she drove over it. I'll have to go out there and take a screwdriver to it or putty knife to it to scrape it all off. She said she thought she had a flat tire last night coming home from work. I would think so, you should see this large piece stuck all over her tire.
You know, I would think that they should have done only half of the lot at a time and then barricaded it off to dry up some, they just poured and left.
What's your thoughts on this.
Thanks for your input.
Jay

tedford69
09-24-2007, 08:29 AM
I have actually filled the cracks with the silica sand and tar and drove over it with the truck and trailer immediately and never had any of it come out of the cracks before or even leave marks in it. The key is to pack it in and smooth it over. As for the stuff the other guy/girl used, I'd wait for it to dry then pull it out, that way it will come out like a roll of tape and mostly together. Good luck

skeens
09-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Once I accidentally spilled alot of the hot sealant and then accidentally drove into it with my truck. It covered my tire, and I thought I was going to have to buy a new tire.

I went out onto the highway, and drove (slowly at first) then gradually started going faster and faster. It was a very hot day, so that helped also. Eventually, the stuff heated itself up enough to where it just came off. You might want to try that, you probably won't have much luck trying to get it off with screwdrivers and such.