PDA

View Full Version : could it get any worse

Sweet Tater
09-22-2007, 09:57 PM
Man, I was so excited today. A local business called me to mow two of his businesses, I don't normally do them. They are small grass areas So I only charge his $45 each. Thats not bad for a day off, making $90. But it quickley turned sour. As I was mowing my lazer z zinged a rock from under the discharge cover ( I covered the whole thing to mulch) and pegged my own truck shattering the drivers window into a million zillion tiny pieces. So now I get to give the business owner back the 90, plus some extra. He's the repair shop doing the replacement window.
I can't handle to many more times paying the customer to mow his grass :cry: :cry: :cry:

Patriot Services
09-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Tough luck Tater! I bet you do a walk through next time. I personally don't do commercial properties. I am amazed at the garbage around your typical gas/conv store and most guys just buzz through it and make a bigger mess. Oh well tomorrow is another day.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

PerfectEarth
09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, this is a perfect lesson then. You're really not making 90$ even on a day where nothing goes wrong.

RedMax Man
09-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Wow sorry about that. If it hit anything the widows probably the easiest and least expecive part to replace then if it hit your fender or hood. Also i would rather deal with getting my own vehicle fixed then dealing with someone elses car that got damaged by my doing. Hope things go better next time.

Hopefully the customer didn't put it in harms way to get some business out of you:laugh:

mattfromNY
09-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Better a window, than someones' eyeball.
No real lesson to learn, just a bad day. Ya gotta have bad days to appreciate the good ones.
Tomorrow will be a better day, or maybe not if what they say about things happening in 3's????

mike33087
09-22-2007, 11:43 PM
eliminate this problem and user a grass catcher

topsites
09-23-2007, 12:57 AM
Man forget that, look...

All you do is take some time to find yourself a used glass for that window, then spend some quality time with the truck removing the door panel and replace that joker yourself, probably cost you 20-30-40 bucks... It ain't that hard, just takes time and patience, have to remove a few things like the arm rest and maybe a window crank and what have you, then pop the panel off, the window itself you should be able to access the regulator thing through holes in the frame.
Re-assemble, you might have to buy some of those plastic things for the door panel.

I don't know how I'd survive without fixing stuff myself, mechanic will charge you probably 2-300, then they use new glass (+$), I don't see myself being in business long this way, these are work trucks, not omg it got a ding i gotta run to maaco :)

I would DIY, trust me, I have done this, more than once, was scared the first time too.

HOOLIE
09-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Man I'd be pissed off too, especially considering you got out of bed on a Saturday just to work for this customer. If the owner has half a heart, I hope he just charged you for the cost of the glass. If not, then next time you break your own window, take it somewhere else :laugh:

LindblomRJ
09-23-2007, 01:36 AM
At least it was your own truck. It would have been worse if it was some elses.

Smile, it could be worse. I smiled and yes things got worse.

tjsquickcuts
09-23-2007, 01:45 AM
Morale of the story, never mow with your shoot towards cars, windows, or anyother glass....sorry for your loss....

GREENTIMEJG
09-23-2007, 01:48 AM
That sucks! I hate when stuff like that happens and thats what insurance should be 4. Do not get me wrong I know you would get screwed if you turned that in. Thats the part that sucks the most you pay good money so that if something happens you are covered.Ya you would be covered but 4 a price. I think the only time the insurance is good is if you maybe kill a truck or person and that is what sucks. Hope you have a better day next week.:drinkup:

CrewKut
09-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Yeah, you had a bad day.:cry: But the upside is, you picked up a new account. :) Like Matt said, having a bad day makes you appreciate the good days that much more.

Cheers,
Dan

topsites
09-23-2007, 03:30 PM
Morale of the story, never mow with your shoot towards cars, windows, or anyother glass....sorry for your loss....

So true, I also find myself turning down the throttle when near rocks or mowing in them kind of areas, it is a rare thing stuff goes flying the wrong way anymore.

Sweet Tater
09-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Man I'd be pissed off too, especially considering you got out of bed on a Saturday just to work for this customer. If the owner has half a heart, I hope he just charged you for the cost of the glass. If not, then next time you break your own window, take it somewhere else :laugh:

I didn't even tell the owner. But even if I did take it some where alse, he is the least expensive. I've done a window before, will Never do it again. I'll pay for that one, but do everything else myself.

MSS Mow
09-23-2007, 05:41 PM

Easier said than done TJ.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-24-2007, 02:34 AM
Man, I was so excited today. A local business called me to mow two of his businesses, I don't normally do them. They are small grass areas So I only charge his $45 each. Thats not bad for a day off, making $90. But it quickley turned sour. As I was mowing my lazer z zinged a rock from under the discharge cover ( I covered the whole thing to mulch) and pegged my own truck shattering the drivers window into a million zillion tiny pieces. So now I get to give the business owner back the 90, plus some extra. He's the repair shop doing the replacement window.
I can't handle to many more times paying the customer to mow his grass :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was mowing in high grass and I hit the copper line on the AC unit and it was on at the time so air and grass got in it and messed up the system so they had to replace it (at least that's what the homeowner says) so the bill was $4000, and the deductible is $1450. So I wish I had just broken a window! lol :cry:

JT1304
09-24-2007, 09:11 PM
At least you only got one window. I got my own and a set of french doors in a 20 minute period. I use a bagger too. It just wasnt my day. Luckily the client was overly nice and I handled it all pretty good

dwlah
09-24-2007, 09:49 PM
Join the crowd I shot a hose sprayer(moved the hose the sprayer wasn't attached) thru 4 windows and a screen door in one shot and I didn't know it until the guy got home and called me I thought it bounced off the house
Just glad no one got hurt
The owner was apologizing to me for leaving stuff out in the yard

KTO Enterprises
09-24-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey topsites, most vehicles are not D.I.Y. type window installations. Before landscape maintenance I was a mobile pro technician for Safelite. Vehicles these days require special tools for glass replacement.

Now your dodge is a piece of cake.

*Door panel off,

*clean track. I had a special tool for this but an antannae off a junk car with a 90Deg hook bent on end will do just perfectly.

*Vacuum glass out door. No one likes a maraca for a door

*Unbolt front track rail at bottom and unbolt the 2 brackets off the regulator

*take window and put it in from the outside with the front corner pointing down and slide it in the track.

*bolt to regulator.

*put door panel on

15 minute job.

F.Y.I White Lithium grease sprayed in tracks will keep things moving smoothly

Sweet Tater
09-25-2007, 06:38 PM
Talk about a switch hitter. Went today to get my window put in. savedsome money by getting a used one, looks new. $180 including window, labor and tint. /well there goes the $90 i made when I broke it..... Any way, I now have a new customer, they guy that installed the window. And its a weekly . SWEETT

Vikings
09-25-2007, 06:52 PM
*put door panel on

15 minute job.

Huh?:confused:

My window on the chevy pops out if I put it too low so I have to take off the door panel and put pressure near the bottom and then it goes back up. I don't really know what I'm doing or what is wrong, I just have to be careful at the drive through ATM's, all drive throughs for that matter.

But I can never get that panel back on, It's always hanging by a few plastic pieces here and there.

fslm
09-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Whats your deductible on your truck? Some glass places will pay it for you for your business ( if its not 500 or more). Never hurts to ask.

YardPro
09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
this is one of the many reasons we mulch our clippings

Sweet Tater
09-25-2007, 09:52 PM
only $100 deductable. This is a small town, they'd laugh you out of town for that idea, but I like it.
Mulching or not. I had the discharge closed, the rock went under the deck, go figure?

KTO Enterprises
09-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Huh?:confused:

My window on the chevy pops out if I put it too low so I have to take off the door panel and put pressure near the bottom and then it goes back up. I don't really know what I'm doing or what is wrong, I just have to be careful at the drive through ATM's, all drive throughs for that matter.

But I can never get that panel back on, It's always hanging by a few plastic pieces here and there.

Chevys had a problem with the part of the inner door skin that the track bolts to breaking out. or the track breaking loose from the braket.

As for the panel installation it should have little white or yellow plastic push clips. They are availaible from the local parts store from the "help" line.

clcare2
09-25-2007, 11:55 PM
All year I haven't been a a particular property that I maintain. The first time that I go out to help the mowing guys I hit a #2 river rock with a trimmer line, it went straight up 7' over my head and hit a window that cost me $4500to replace. Then the homeowner calls and says that the guys broke a window 2 weeks earlier and they were opn vacation so they didn't call. $800 to replace.
Never had a broken window before and now I have two on the same house.

fslm
09-26-2007, 07:59 AM
That is the difference is between a fly by night-er and a professional insurance. 4500$ is alot more than what my insurance is a year. 250$ deductable and that its, window paid.:usflag:

Sweet Tater
09-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks goodness for insurance