PDA

View Full Version : low flow cutters

perkhound
09-23-2007, 07:48 AM
does anyone have any experience with any of the low flow brush cutters

TXTom
09-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I had a Bradco 72" Brush Cutter on my Low Flow S185. It worked well as a cutter, but was a little heavy for my machine. I was able to bog it down with heavy brush. It would mow grass well, but a group of saplings would be too much for it. My S185 has 16gpm of flow if I remember correctly. I guess it depends on what you are going to do with one. They will definitely work on a low flow machine. I am sure they would always work better on a hi-flow machine.

Later-

JDSKIDSTEER
09-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I had a Bradco 72" Brush Cutter on my Low Flow S185. It worked well as a cutter, but was a little heavy for my machine. I was able to bog it down with heavy brush. It would mow grass well, but a group of saplings would be too much for it. My S185 has 16gpm of flow if I remember correctly. I guess it depends on what you are going to do with one. They will definitely work on a low flow machine. I am sure they would always work better on a hi-flow machine.

Later-
60" would have matched up with your machine and worked better.

tnmtn
09-25-2007, 06:35 AM
a few weeks back i did a job where i had to rent a brushwolf cutter and ran it off my dingo. it was only 48" wide but what an amazing combination. had no trouble cutting up to 2" saplings and thick briars. i think JD hit the nail on the head. get the width for your machine and you shouldn't have any problems.
good luck,

perkhound
09-25-2007, 08:05 AM
I am going to be using it on a 864 bobcat.
The one I have looked at is only 4' wide and has carbide teeth

TXTom
09-25-2007, 03:44 PM
I looked back through my records and I did have the 60" machine. My same comments apply. 72" would have never worked on my machine. Sorry for the confusion.

Tom

Kepple Services
09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
If you are looking at something with carbide teeth then a brushcutter(large mower) isnt the same thing like what the others are talking about. I have a 72" quick attach brand brush cutter on my T300, and it kicks a$$. I have never run one of the mulcher heads on it as its a low flow machine.

SiteSolutions
09-25-2007, 10:05 PM
The only low-flow mulcher I've heard of is the Gyro Trac. There may be others. As much as mortal skid steers and track machines struggle at mulching, even with the high flow, I would think trying to mulch with a low flow machine would be mostly a waste of time and money.

Productive mulching really requires 100+ hp and a bulletproof cooling system for the engine and hydraulics. Even the best skid steer-based systems are going to be a compromise.

YellowDogSVC has a much better idea about the specifics of it than I do. Maybe he will weigh in.

ksss
09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
I would agree with Site Solutions. I think a mulching head with low flow would be a waste of time. It only makes money if it is productive. Remember when it comes time to bid jobs your productivity and quality of mulch will carry the day. I don't see how running a machine on low flow will do that.