PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for dethatching and aerating?

advantage landscaping
09-23-2007, 04:54 PM
I have about 10 lawns that I do that are interested in both. I have a garden tractor and have the attachments for it so I would like to do it that way. And yes I have the plug-type aerator attachment not the spike.

How much would you charge to do the service? (I mean if it takes you 1 hr, then you would charge $x dollars) All the lots are different sizes so I really couldn't give a size, but I would say from 1/4 acre to 1 and above. I know you can get more for doing both of these over just mowing and want to make my money, and not overcharge anybody.

Any help would be great thanks!

(I do have a rental place around, so I could rent a thatcher and aerator, but is that really necessary?)

bigjeeping
09-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Well, if you are dethatching you will need to consider how much waste you will have to clean up, how you are going to clean it up (i.e. rake it up, bag it with lawn mower, blow with a BR600), and how much it is going to cost to dump it. You will also need to consider your overhead.. labor wages being the largest, with gas close behind (haha).

With aeration, I usually just consider the size of the lot and more specifically how long that lot size will take me to aerate.

I usually aim for $100/hr net when doing dethatching and aeration together, with usually 2 or 3 employees to make the cleanup go as painless as possible. That means about $165 for a job which I know will take 1 hour. This means a typical estimate of mine looks like this:

Lawn Dethatching, Cleanup, and Disposal
Core Aeration
Total: $165.00

Not many turn me down on this price! Which, economically speaking, must mean these services are scarce in my area - or my price is low. But I don't think that it is the latter of the two, do you?

If you're selling it to them in person you can really hammer in the facts about how beneficial these services are!

Green Finger
09-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I charge about $175 for quarter of an acre. Rental charge of machine.

advantage landscaping
09-23-2007, 09:50 PM
yeah I do it just myself, though. Do you de-thatch and aerate at the same time though? And then over seed I assume? I would think I would charge like 100/hr total and that would cover gas, equipment, etc... Seem fair or is that low/high? Your price seems right on, but mine is only for 1 person.