PDA

View Full Version : Can you mow too much?

EliteImpressions
09-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Im getting ready to officially start my business next year. My question is that I currently do my own lawn which is a little under 8k. I use the little 22" mower and there are little lines where the wheels go over. These arent tempory marks but the turf will stay in that direction for the season. I do switch up every other time (N/S then E/W the next time). I mow every 5 days or so and the lines are making me crazy. The lawn is 80 kbg and 20 tttf.

Will a larger mower be better so that I will make less passes on the turf?

topsites
09-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Yes you can cut too much, once the temps go past 80-85 or so if you cut too short OR too much you will burn the lawn. I would recommend reading up on summer vs. cool season settings, if that even exists. I don't talk much about it, get tired of explaining it 1,000 times over then reading the same question again and again every week while I'm out fighting the new cheapest competitors who still never got it.
Sorry, just the mood I get in, times are hard and still everybody thinks this is as super easy as it looks.

I never cut more often than 8 days, 10-12 days is more like it, commercial mowers can and do chomp a lot more grass with little ill effect, perhaps this helps. I do at least a criss-cross, more often than not I take 3-4 different approaches, and if worse comes to I just let it grow until the lines disappear, then I'm back to a fresh start with nothing to distract me.

As for the wheels, that makes little difference, the great mowers weigh a lot more, the size of the wheel balances out the impact.
It boils down to pounds of down force per square inch as more weight is distributed over a wider footprint so the end result is all about the same.

Takes time and practice, best measured in years.

EliteImpressions
09-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Im not concerned about the lawn burning up, may be conceated but I have the best lawn around. I cant go 8 days otherwise the lawn will be 6 inches tall (I cut at 4" during the summer). I do have irrigation so that doesnt help much either. The past 3 years I used scotts and am realizing that Im putting over 4lbs of N per K a year with their program! Im learning all I can from here and other sources and will cut the N in half so that I dont have to mow as much.

Topsites, I did see your other posts about mowing too much but they were all about mowing in high temps and stressing the turf, thats why I made a new post.

fergman
09-23-2007, 05:48 PM
dont mow the lawn in this drought! it will kill it! ........... yeah sure. ive always heard that but i know an lco that cuts over 100 yards and at least 80 or more they cut twice a week wether it needs it or not. they cut at about 2 inches year round and even when all the yards are completely fried and dead looking they mow them this whole summer and about all you can see when you drive by is tiny thin grass and you can see the dirt through it. the customer says. dont mow my yard. they immediately mow it and still twice a week. its unbielievably amazing how they do it and still dont lose the yards. people have them back next year. as soon as it rains, there yards all turn green before most of the others do. everybody around here isnt making much money mowing this year. we are behind about 80 some thousand dollars so far. not them. they mow as if its raining everyday. it sounds like im lying i know. but im not. everybody says,how does he do that! nobody knows. its as if he can do what he pleases and hardly ever loses any accounts. i know guys that have went to several of there yards and plainly told them that if theyll drop them, then they would only mow it when it needed it. the customers says no. none of them seem to be on any kind of contract or anything either. so far nobody has ever figured out how he does it. ive gotten several of his yards because i offer a few more services but thats all. they do an extremely good job too.

mdlwn1
09-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Looking at your post, you mow 1 way this week and the other way next week.....then you keep repeating that? So you go in the same lines every other week and your wondering why you have tire lines? I cut a high profile area on average every 4th or 5th day during high growth and cut it as needed otherwise. It looks like a pool table, people tend to want to stop and touch it. Different direction every time. And sometimes I double cut it!...all at less than 2". Cut when it needs cuttiong....that simple. If you wait untill the grass is tall..you will be creating far too much stress on the plant.

EliteImpressions
09-23-2007, 06:02 PM
mdlawn1,

Yes, I do cut one way every other time. But are you being sarcastic about seeing the tire marks? I thought you were being serious until I read that you basically do the same thing. I dont wait til its too long thats why its being cut every 4-5 days.

Is your grass KBG or TTTF. Im in the process of changing over to TTTF and I think that will help since its much hardier plus I wont have to water as much then I wont have to mow as much.

Stillwater
09-23-2007, 06:07 PM
it can take up to 3 days for a grass blade that has been clean cut to seal and retain moisture. longer if the blade was ripped with a dull blade.

the issue you are describing about the lines is psychological they way your eye perceives individual things if you know what I mean.? it is difficult to explain like in landscapeing recomended layouts are in 3's and 5' and 7's you regularly use a 21 inch so you have many many lines your eye/brain is noticing the multiple lines before you brain registers the length of the lines. I don't know how to explain it. Use a larger mower 1 time and you will know exactly what I mean,your brain needs a change. or I need a brain to be able to explain this better. or next time you mow do curves not stright lines you will see what I mean

mdlwn1
09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
If you cut every other week in the same direction(same tire marks) you will have depressions.ruts.tire marks..whatever you want to call them. Pick a new direction every cut or move the wheels over 2 inches every cut.

mdlwn1
09-23-2007, 06:15 PM
It seems like every response to this post missed what you said.

fergman
09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
the issue you are describing about the lines is psychological they way your eye perceives individual things if you know what I mean.? it is difficult to explain like in landscapeing recomended layouts are in 3's and 5' and 7's you regularly use a 21 inch so you have many many lines your eye/brain is noticing the multiple lines before you brain registers the length of the lines. I don't know how to explain it. Use a larger mower 1 time and you will know exactly what I mean,your brain needs a change. or I need a brain to be able to explain this better. or next time you mow do curves not stright lines you will see what I mean

yup thats it. theres gonna be tracks in the grass no matter what you mow with so use a different mower to just change it up a little bit i guess.