PDA

View Full Version : Tine Replacement on aerator

BonesMalone
09-23-2007, 06:04 PM
On average how often do you change out the tine points on aerator ?

EngineeredLawns
09-23-2007, 09:44 PM
When they are worn out or if you break or bend one. The owners manual will tell you the length that if they wear to, to replace. You can usually download the manual from the web. Around here, you can get 5-7 years out of them.

Stillwater
09-30-2007, 01:33 AM
On average how often do you change out the tine points on aerator ?

I replace tines when the machine stops doing a good job/ when the cores measure 3/4 inch in soft moist soil.

Jason Rose
09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
If you are going to replace them, SHOP AROUND!!! It's amazing the price difference between suppliers on those. Iv'e seen them as low as like $2.35 each (from Turf-co) to up to $10.50 each and everywhere inbetween.

At least on mine and another Iv'e seen, they need changed out when the tapered part on the very end of the tine is worn out, which will be easy to tell because it will not spit out the plugs very well, or at all.

avnorm
09-30-2007, 10:20 AM
Do you replace the whole set at once or just the bent or dull ones?

mojob
09-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Do you replace the whole set at once or just the bent or dull ones?
They wear at the same rate so you have to replace the whole set. If the bent tine is relatively new then just replace the bent one.

turfcobob
10-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Replace tines when they are worn (the tip is worn off to flat), broken or bent. With most aerator tines you can get away with one sharpening. But the time it takes to grind one back you could buy one from Turfco.com for about $3 plus freight. Plus when you grind back the end you loose depth. Acceptable depth is over 1.5 inches in lawn type grasses. Measure the hole not the core. Cores do not tell the story of how deep you are going. measure the hole not the core. Most lawn type grasses you just need to get past the thatch and crust. But you need to watch the thatch layer. More than .5 inches thick thatch means you need to aerate more to lessen the thickness of the thatch.

br549oicu8
10-02-2007, 05:33 PM
http://www.replacementbladesdirect.com/

Try these guys...great prices!
I ordered a bunch for our Classens at $1.79 each!!

Buddy

G.M.Landscaping
10-02-2007, 05:48 PM
http://www.replacementbladesdirect.com/

Try these guys...great prices!
I ordered a bunch for our Classens at $1.79 each!!

Buddy

Thanks for that.

I just ordered a set also for $1.79 ea. :) He said it's a fall special their running right now.