PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat s250 or Cat 252b

Boss Exc.
09-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I'm in the market for a used skidsteer and I either want to get a Bobcat s250(k series) or a Cat 252b.I have run Bobcat's for years and I like them alot, so I'm pretty familiar with them.The only reason why I'm considering the Cat is really just because of the name,I know not one thing about Cat skidsteers except the controls are great.I have never even run one.I will be useing the machine for loading trucks,grading,excavating and possibly useing some brush-cutting attachment's every once in a while.

My question to you guys is:1)What machine would you guys recommend buying? 2)Is one better than the other?

RockSet N' Grade
09-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Boy, you have opened a can of worms with those questions......I would sit in the cab and test the visability of each model you would consider buying and see how the cab fits you and how you feel with the machine. Other guys can tell you the why's, whatfor's, spec's, pros-cons and disect each and every model with the precison of a surgeon, but if you are not comfortable or can't see - what's the use? DEMO....DEMO.....DEMO and then narrow it down.

cat2
09-23-2007, 09:11 PM
What are you going to be using it for?

Boss Exc.
09-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Boy, you have opened a can of worms with those questions......I would sit in the cab and test the visability of each model you would consider buying and see how the cab fits you and how you feel with the machine. Other guys can tell you the why's, whatfor's, spec's, pros-cons and disect each and every model with the precison of a surgeon, but if you are not comfortable or can't see - what's the use? DEMO....DEMO.....DEMO and then narrow it down.

Yea I kinda figured I would open up that can......That's one thing I like so much about Bobcat is the rearward visiblity is IMO so good.I'm going to demo the Cat sometime soon but I'm just looking for some basic opinons from you guys,I know we could talk this is better than that all day long.
Thanks rockSet N' Grade

Boss Exc.
09-23-2007, 09:23 PM
What are you going to be using it for?

Grading black dirt,excavating,loading trucks and I'd like to plow with it to.I do get asked once in awhile to do some land clearing so I would be useing a brushcutter to take down small trees and grass.

cat2
09-23-2007, 09:38 PM
I would go with bobcat. Which dealer is closer? I would think bobcat would be cheaper. Bobcat has more breakout force than cat, so that will help when digging into piles, but black dirt is pretty loose. And just all aroung digging. Also it goes a little faster, has more reach, and lifts a little higher, and has more ground clearance

ksss
09-23-2007, 10:29 PM
I think the rear visibility in the BC sucks, I believe it is probably one of the worst. Since I guess I am the resident CASE fan boy, I would suggest demoing a CASE 70XT/440 which is radial lift with 85 hp or 85XT/445 vertical with approx 75 hp. A CASE machine is not on your list but worth a demo. You may find you have a new favorite.

qps
09-23-2007, 10:38 PM
I think the rear visibility in the BC sucks, I believe it is probably one of the worst. Since I guess I am the resident CASE fan boy, I would suggest demoing a CASE 70XT/440 which is radial lift with 85 hp or 85XT/445 vertical with approx 75 hp. A CASE machine is not on your list but worth a demo. You may find you have a new favorite.

I agree...visibility in the T300 wasn't bad...but not the greatest, don't know about a 252B but if its related to the 257B...run away as fast as you can:dizzy:

Tigerotor77W
09-23-2007, 11:11 PM
I agree...visibility in the T300 wasn't bad...but not the greatest, don't know about a 252B but if its related to the 257B...run away as fast as you can:dizzy:

Don't worry -- the 252B and 257B are different animals entirely. The common "5" doesn't indicate much.

Construct'O
09-23-2007, 11:33 PM
Don't worry -- the 252B and 257B are different animals entirely. The common "5" doesn't indicate much.

To GPS the number 5 indicated 5 fingers :waving: good bye to his 257B.

As far as the other machines just try demoing,probably will be faster.As you demo!!!!!! if you have time, might as well throw in Case,New Holland,Deere,and a few others.:rolleyes:

Good luck!

Boss Exc.
09-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Thanks for all the replys guys!

Scag48
09-24-2007, 02:41 AM
I don't care much for Cat vertical lift machines whatsoever and Bobcat vertical lift machines aren't any better. Buy a 246 or a 248 and do yourself a favor by going with radial lift. Unless you're loading trucks all day, vertical lift does you no good.

SiteSolutions
09-24-2007, 08:17 AM
Unless you're loading trucks all day, vertical lift does you no good.

Vertical machines typically have higher ROC. Some folks like them. I have loaded tri-axle trucks with my T-190 (off the curb, of course), while a guy with a big frame S-220 (basically a S-250, but with radius lift arms - hence the lower ROC) has trouble loading my single-axle dump.

dozerman21
09-24-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't care much for Cat vertical lift machines whatsoever and Bobcat vertical lift machines aren't any better. Buy a 246 or a 248 and do yourself a favor by going with radial lift. Unless you're loading trucks all day, vertical lift does you no good.

Not necessarily. I've owned two vertical lift machines and found them to be better in tight situations like working between buildings, where you have very limited space. Kind of like zero tail swing on an excavator, sometimes it can be a huge advantage. Loading trucks is the biggest advantage to me, but like SS said, they usually have a higher ROC. I find them just as easy to grade with, although I'm not familiar with that Cat model.

Boss Exc- Like others have said, just demo. We all have different tastes and needs. You can't go wrong if you buy the machine that feels the best after operating. Also consider dealer reputation and financing deals. Case and Deere have very good financing/warranty deals right now, I haven't heard what Bobcat and Cat are offering. Good luck!

Tigerotor77W
09-24-2007, 04:07 PM
I'd have to second all the "try them both out, then decide" comments -- it will do you no good if you have a machine with a great name but one that you can't operate well. Cat's joysticks are only as good as the operator is comfortable with them -- so if you haven't run one but like the concept of joysticks, it'd be better to run one and find out for yourself.

As far as the technical product, there's a lot to be learned in a demo as well. There are aspects of the Cat machine that no other manufacturer offers (spherical bearings), aspects that Bobcat doesn't have (larger filters and a visible oil-water separator, for instance), but the Bobcat "appears" to be more sturdy and has, after all, a few more horsepower and some more breakout (though if you're looking at the K-series... that may have changed). If you're used to Bobcat's foot controls, the Cat controls may be comfortable, but will also take some time getting used to. Visibility will probably be a bit better on the Bobcat, actually, as the 252B has pretty large loader arms that hamper visability. That being said, I got to be pretty comfortable on a 287B last summer.

For the purposes you mentioned, it seems like a demo would be better than any number of specs I can quote.

Fieldman12
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Both are good machines I think no matter which one you choose. Both have good resale value and have a fairly expensive price tag to buy. The Cat is probably a little more fancy. If you have precise work the Cat pilots are probably the way to go. I myself would probably prefer the Cat first but no reason why I would turn down the Bobcat either. The final decision for me since both have a dealer about the same amount of time from me would be the type of controls. From what I hear about the E/H controls that you can get optional on the Bobcats I dont think I would want. They must not be too bad though because plenty of people have them. I have a budy that says they are not too bad to get use too.