PDA

View Full Version : Large landscape construction project, Lots of pics

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Important Note: (I did not do this work and am not in charge of the job)
I only helped out when i was available.

This is a large construction job that my dad is on right now. He is the main contractor involved in overseeing all the work. He is doing all the construction on the house as well as other subcontractors for the related things like this retaining wall. This is an existing residential home that he built the right side addition on to make the house symmetrical. Also new is the side garage with overhead deck and bump outs where the large windows are in the front plus numerous other things inside and out. He's been on this job all summer but this place will set it-self apart from everyone else on the street once its completed. Everything is custom and of the highest craftsmanship... not a "slap up job".

Just wanted to share pictures since it might interest some of you and everyone likes to see pics of course.

The blocks are made by Ideal and are the Roman Pisa style.

Many more pics to come as the job progresses and i will try to answer all questions.

Still to be done is a patio off the deck in the back and all the landscaping, irrigation and plantings.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:16 PM
More.............

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:19 PM
And More...............

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:22 PM
Some more...........

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Yep even more.........

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:27 PM
How about some more...........

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:33 PM
The Cat and a delivery of block.

mrusk
09-23-2007, 07:34 PM
I'd recommened editing this post IMMEDIATLY. A real schit storm will go right through this thread. I am dead serious. Wait untill all the hardscape guys see these pics.

Walls are built in correctly and i'd bet money they will fail. The main issue is no geo grid. The second issue is building 4.5 ft tall walls and back filling after they are built.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
My Dad's trailer, 8.5 x 18' enclosed contractors/landscape trailer. I blocked out part of the phone #.

cgland
09-23-2007, 07:38 PM
WOW! Those are really bad! The walls are structurally flawed. No grid, running bond corners, uncompacted backfill, etc. It's only a matter of time until they fail.

Chris

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd recommened editing this post IMMEDIATLY. A real schit storm will go right through this thread. I am dead serious. Wait untill all the hardscape guys see these pics.

Walls are built in correctly and i'd bet money they will fail. The main issue is no geo grid. The second issue is building 4.5 ft tall walls and back filling after they are built.

That is why i posted these because i want to know the truth on the quality.

mrusk
09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
What CG said is the truth.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 07:58 PM
What CG said is the truth.

For everyones information the wall is NOT fully completed yet. The base was compacted and before the wall was started.

mrusk
09-23-2007, 07:59 PM
We are talking about the backfill being un compacted.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 08:01 PM
We are talking about the backfill being un compacted.

The builder told me if he compacted it it could push the wall out. Is that even true or how likely is it?

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Front of the House.....

mattfromNY
09-23-2007, 08:13 PM
You guys get snow there? It oughta' be fun trying to find a place to put it with walls on both sides! I swear, nobody thinks ahead when they build houses anymore. Of course, with the money they put into that place, maybe there's a heated driveway going in?

mrusk
09-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Compacting the fill will not push the walls out!!!!!

Supper Grassy
09-23-2007, 08:17 PM
The builder told me if he compacted it it could push the wall out. Is that even true or how likely is it?

Lets get one thing out of the way - I Do Not Hardscape.

But the dirt behind the wall should have been in place and compacted before the wall was built. Or most of the dirt should have been in place and a little gap is all that should have remained to be filled in.

This is my take on how the job should have been done.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 08:24 PM
You guys get snow there? It oughta' be fun trying to find a place to put it with walls on both sides! I swear, nobody thinks ahead when they build houses anymore. Of course, with the money they put into that place, maybe there's a heated driveway going in?
Oh yeah we get snow. This job is in Massachusetts. Good point about the plowing. This is not very old these people are the second owners. The house has had a history of problems ever since it was built a few years ago. The drive was pitched wrong, garage pitch wrong, foundation not high enough had to add a layer of block on top, grade was wrong and built way to close to the lot line... just to name a few. Believe it or not most of the wall and driveway is past there lot line. My dad made sure he would not be responsible for any of that. He did not build the house from scratch and has been working to solve the previose owners major problems. You could not back a car out of the garages with out going over the lot line and next to that is a paper street. The customer is responsible.:dizzy:

I didn't think so. Did you get my PM?

Supper Grassy
09-23-2007, 08:29 PM

i am not sure the truth but if the wall is biult poorly would the preassue of the dirt compacting blow the wall?

Leaf Jockey
09-23-2007, 08:51 PM
The dirt won't blow the wall out because there shouldn't be dirt against the back of the wall.

Scott

tjsquickcuts
09-23-2007, 09:12 PM
;) ;) ;) ;)

Supper Grassy
09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
The dirt won't blow the wall out because there shouldn't be dirt against the back of the wall.

Scott

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

paponte
09-23-2007, 09:58 PM

At THAT height it will!! Especially with no grid!

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 10:05 PM
At THAT height it will!! Especially with no grid!

I was told that the wall doesn't need grid if its not more than 4' tall. Either the builder said that or the block manufacturing co. states that. My father was told that by the builder if i'm not mistaken. This guy does alot of masonry and hardscapes, has been in the business for years, is fully legal and insured. Wonder how all his other projects that he has done it the past are holding up.:confused:

mrusk
09-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Maybe you will luck out and it will be okay. I do not know. I have seen some walls build completly wrong and they still look good 5 years later. Maybe those walls just had the perfect site conditions. I do not know.

Anyhow, this guy defiently is trying to do the installs as cheap and as quick as possible. Hopefully no one will get hurt if these walls fail.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Maybe you will luck out and it will be okay. I do not know. I have seen some walls build completly wrong and they still look good 5 years later. Maybe those walls just had the perfect site conditions. I do not know.

Anyhow, this guy defiently is trying to do the installs as cheap and as quick as possible. Hopefully no one will get hurt if these walls fail.

I agree on the money side, he's doing them dirt cheep compared the guy who quoted before him. He's been on this job for a while and just has one helper so it wasn't wacked out it a week or two.

Could you give your oppinion on the quality of the walkway? the previos walk was not done correctly and had settled and was just a wreck basically.

mrusk
09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Walk is not my style. I do not like how the stairs by the driveway met the retaining walls.

And the guy installed his pvc edging on top of the bedding sand when its suppose to be installed on the base.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Walk is not my style. I do not like how the stairs by the driveway met the retaining walls.

And the guy installed his pvc edging on top of the bedding sand when its suppose to be installed on the base.

Thats helpfull thanks. Would you be able to give a rough estimate on what it would cost your company to do all the work pictured? ( two tiered retaining wall with steps, walkway, and walls beside the walkway)

The wall beside the walkway may be extended farther down the drive way depending on the final grad of the front yard. The other wall was already extended longer than what the first contract stated.

mrusk
09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Its to hard to give a price looking just at pictures. Maybe 35-45k. Its hard to say.

K c m
09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
just get some inch and 5/8's unistrut and some quick bolts and a few mounts. drill into the brick and attach it to the other side of the dirt. Easy fix. it looks nice man.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 11:06 PM
Its to hard to give a price looking just at pictures. Maybe 35-45k. Its hard to say.

Your right is the same ball park of what the first guy bid and he showed his written estimate to another friend who estimate he would be closer the 40K range.
That didn't include the wall beside the walkway. Everything has been extended or built longer than first planned.

K c m
09-23-2007, 11:11 PM
dont sweat it man. it looks very nice.i don't really landscape because it takes very little talent.

RedMax Man
09-23-2007, 11:31 PM
dont sweat it man. it looks very nice.i don't really landscape because it takes very little talent.
Personaly i think it does take talent, knowledge and experience to really do nice landscape work and do it correctly. Yes, There are some factors though that aren't difficult to do but thats the minority. Not everyone can grab a rake or tool to design and build a quality outdoor environment.

Yeah i think it all looks pretty nice for what it is but looks only matter for so long until something goes wrong. Hopefully that won't be the case here.

LawnBoy89
09-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Where do you guys learn all this about hardscaping? Experience or did you go to school for it??

cutbetterthanyou
09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Do you have any pics of the 80's dump i am building one now. I need to put some kindof a box like yours in between the bed and cab where did you get that one? how much?

RedMax Man
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Do you have any pics of the 80's dump i am building one now. I need to put some kindof a box like yours in between the bed and cab where did you get that one? how much?

Thats not my truck its the constractor's who is doing all the stone work. I don't have any better pics of it but i'll take a few next time i'm at the job and then post them here. It is a nice Chevy truck and has been restored.

cutbetterthanyou
09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Thats not my truck its the constractor's who is doing all the stone work. I don't have any better pics of it but i'll take a few next time i'm at the job and then post them here. It is a nice Chevy truck and has been restored.

Thanks alot

RedMax Man
09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Thanks alot

Havent forgot about the pics, just havent gotten a chance to get down there and takes some. I will try soon.

cutbetterthanyou
09-27-2007, 09:31 PM
No big hurry i'll be a little while before i move along on the truck. I just blew the motor yesterday in my fuso, so that will most likely put me a little behind on the cash flow.

hoskm01
09-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Where do you guys learn all this about hardscaping? Experience or did you go to school for it??

Those guys do pretty much all hardscapes. They are very knowledgable at it. Perhaps this is a good example of why the lowest bid is not always the best one.

bustin88
10-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey RedmaxMan-

I know nothing about building walls or walkways, but I have seen some of mrusk's work and it is AWESOME... so take what he says seriously. Good Luck with everything hope it works out.

RedMax Man
10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
Hey RedmaxMan-

I know nothing about building walls or walkways, but I have seen some of mrusk's work and it is AWESOME... so take what he says seriously. Good Luck with everything hope it works out.

I believe it. You know the first guy who bid on this job was a buddy of mine and he included alot of extras like geo grid which is atleast $150 a roll.

More new pics coming soon of the new patio, all new landscaping and the whole property was recently hydro seeded.

RedMax Man
10-18-2007, 09:40 PM
HYDROSEEDED!!!
(although it looks a little sparce)

RedMax Man
10-18-2007, 09:44 PM
New patio is the back. Yes there are railings now on the deck. They were put up after these pics.

RedMax Man
10-18-2007, 09:45 PM
My dad has more pics of the patio while it was being layed if anyone is interested i could get them.

RedMax Man
10-18-2007, 09:51 PM
A couple of the wall.

RedMax Man
10-18-2007, 09:56 PM
One of the landscaper's Bobcats. He also had a T300.
The front of the house.

RedMax Man
10-18-2007, 10:01 PM
My uncle's F-550...

deereman
10-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Can you explain about the geo grids maybe even pics . Why are the walls incorrectly, please explain in detail. I am very interested. Thank you

South Florida Lawns
10-18-2007, 11:04 PM
nice pics looks amazing

dominion Lawns
10-26-2007, 04:20 PM
No geo grid, No Geo- textile fabric, the back fill was done wrong. I hope you only had a one year warranty

EagleLandscape
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
No geo grid, No Geo- textile fabric, the back fill was done wrong. I hope you only had a one year warranty

Don't be a jerk, he didn't build it. Just trying to jump down his throat.

BTW, that's one of the ugliest houses I've ever seen:)

dominion Lawns
10-26-2007, 04:32 PM
He asked our opinion, so to the person who built it please look into ICPI or another accredited paver install school. I see work all the time from contractors that only year or two later that shifts or heaves. Customers have come to expect this out of paver installs which lowers the value of a prodeuct I sell. Dont want to be a jerk to anyone but its $ out of my pocket and yours.

Dhouse
10-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Can you explain about the geo grids maybe even pics . Why are the walls incorrectly, please explain in detail. I am very interested. Thank you

Geogrid acts as a deadman. It anchors the wall into the hill and prevents the wall from falling forward. Go to unilock website and they have illustrations on geogrid and when and where to use it.

RedMax Man
10-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the explaination on the Geogrid.

mag360
01-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Six years later how does it look?

meets1
01-27-2014, 09:23 PM
My thoughts exactly....6 years later....need after photos!

MDHomeSVCS
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
Visibly pleasing work initially, agree not the way I would have done it though. I'm going to put some of this back on the owners as well...from the sounds/looks of it they always shop for the cheapest deals. Probably got the house on the cheap side, then trying to make it look even more luxurious with the new additions, but as cheap as possible again. That hydro-seeding is another example...looks way to light but I suppose it could just be the pics. You get what you pay for, and not all contractors mind doing a job the incorrect and unsafe way.

I am curious too as to how it is holding up.