PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about the lighting business

FIRESCOOBY
09-23-2007, 09:33 PM
I've got a few questions for you guys if y'all bare with me. I did search and could not find the answers I was looking for.

First off, I'm not someone that is looking into lowballing, getting others work, etc. I've had alot of my customers asking me about the landscape lighting. I've only found one company that does it and I called him. He said he was so backed up he couldn't really take anything else right now.

I am currently re-doing some of MY landscaping and want to install some lighting at MY house. When it's time, I wanna post some pictures and get y'alls advice. I try to use my own as a learning tool.

Where did y'all learn how to do this aspect of the business? Are there classes that are available?

I'd appreciate any information you could provide. I will say this, y'alls work is truly amazing and a work of art. Congrats!!!

bmwsmity
09-24-2007, 09:19 AM
I've got a few questions for you guys if y'all bare with me. I did search and could not find the answers I was looking for.

First off, I'm not someone that is looking into lowballing, getting others work, etc. I've had alot of my customers asking me about the landscape lighting. I've only found one company that does it and I called him. He said he was so backed up he couldn't really take anything else right now.

I am currently re-doing some of MY landscaping and want to install some lighting at MY house. When it's time, I wanna post some pictures and get y'alls advice. I try to use my own as a learning tool.

Where did y'all learn how to do this aspect of the business? Are there classes that are available?

I'd appreciate any information you could provide. I will say this, y'alls work is truly amazing and a work of art. Congrats!!!

p.s. Where is cleveland, ga?

The first thing I did was buy Janet Lennox-Moyer's book, "The Landscape Lighting Book." You can find it on Amazon used for about $70. This will teach you the theories and design elements of lighting, along with considerations such as what angle the lighted object will be viewed from primarily, etc.

The next thing I did was go to a hands-on clinic with Unique Lighting to learn the real-life application of installations, such as wiring methods, checking amp loads, estimating amp loads, etc.

My first suggestion is to go buy an Amp Probe before you buy any lights. They are about $50 for a basic one that also tests voltage. This will keep you from overloading wire runs and melting your system down.

There are also some other books out there, and Kichler does a pretty extensive hands-on class as well.

Good luck on starting to do some lighting! :drinkup:

FIRESCOOBY
09-24-2007, 09:32 AM
p.s. Where is cleveland, ga?

The first thing I did was buy Janet Lennox-Moyer's book, "The Landscape Lighting Book." You can find it on Amazon used for about $70. This will teach you the theories and design elements of lighting, along with considerations such as what angle the lighted object will be viewed from primarily, etc.

The next thing I did was go to a hands-on clinic with Unique Lighting to learn the real-life application of installations, such as wiring methods, checking amp loads, estimating amp loads, etc.

My first suggestion is to go buy an Amp Probe before you buy any lights. They are about $50 for a basic one that also tests voltage. This will keep you from overloading wire runs and melting your system down.

There are also some other books out there, and Kichler does a pretty extensive hands-on class as well.

Good luck on starting to do some lighting! :drinkup:

Thanks for the reply...I'll look into it.

Cleveland Ga is about 2 hours NE of Atlanta.

TXNSLighting
09-24-2007, 10:14 AM
I went to work for a landscape lighting company. It taught me what to do and what not to do. But theres books and such to help you learn. And of course this site helps alot.

bmwsmity
09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
so you're near the TN border pretty close to Chattanooga then? I used to live in Cleveland, TN, about a half hour north of Chatt. SOOO beautiful down there, and the mountain biking is AMAZING!

FIRESCOOBY
09-24-2007, 02:45 PM
so you're near the TN border pretty close to Chattanooga then? I used to live in Cleveland, TN, about a half hour north of Chatt. SOOO beautiful down there, and the mountain biking is AMAZING!

I'm about 2 hours from Cleveland. I used to live at the Ga/Tn/NC border in McCaysville Ga near Ducktown TN.

I'm about 10 miles from Helen Ga if you've ever heard of it and about 20 miles from Gainesville, Ga.

Thanks for the info.

JoeyD
09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
FIRESCOOBY,

If you would like I can have my rep get in touch with you and line you up for his next seminar. He could also come out and maybe do some one on one training when you do the lighting at your home.

Let me know.

Joey D.

FIRESCOOBY
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
FIRESCOOBY,

If you would like I can have my rep get in touch with you and line you up for his next seminar. He could also come out and maybe do some one on one training when you do the lighting at your home.

Let me know.

Joey D.

Man, that would be awesome. Would it be here in GA?

I'll PM you my email address.

THANKS!!