PDA

View Full Version : dried up sod

bobcatnj
09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
get a call the other day from a lady. said she had her lawn redone with sod and now it looks dried up yellow/ burnt in color. she said it might be grubs. how can you tell if grubs did the damage? how do you fix? i havent looked at the job yet but it sounds like i need to rip up the whole yard and re do it with topsoil and seed.

tjsquickcuts
09-23-2007, 09:39 PM
What kind of sod???? Depends, could be lack of Nitro or Iron and not enough water....

bobcatnj
09-23-2007, 09:46 PM
i dont know i havent seen it yet. its probably kentucky blue. i did not install the sod

RAlmaroad
09-24-2007, 03:12 PM
Ask her if she keep it really wet during the first two weeks after putting in the sod? It should be watered every other day until the grass begins to grow and if you lift one corner; you shouldn't be able to do it, and check for white roots developing into the ground. Otherwise, something else. Too many variables.

jeffinsgf
09-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Best guess without some photos and more information is that she didn't water it enough. If you can lift any of the sod, turn around and walk away from the bid. If she didn't water an expensive sod laying job, she sure isn't going to water a seed job.

Grubs would be spots, not a general browning of the entire yard.

Good luck.

LB1234
09-24-2007, 10:50 PM
My guess is she probablly didn't water.

If its that bad with grubs you can just pull the sod back and you will see them. My bet is she didn't water and since we haven't had that much rain here in hunterdon county it died.

LB1234
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Ask her if she keep it really wet during the first two weeks after putting in the sod? It should be watered every other day until the grass begins to grow and if you lift one corner; you shouldn't be able to do it, and check for white roots developing into the ground. Otherwise, something else. Too many variables.

The leaf blades will just about always continue to grow...especially if you are watering it.

You should be concerned with the sod 'taking root' and it should be watered everyday (sometimes multiple times) until it sets root. Then you would water less frequently but for longer durations.

AL Inc
09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
I would be very surprised if it was grubs. Usually, as was said before, the grub damage appears as spots, and there is usually visible damage from animals rooting around in the grass to eat them. I have seen lawns that look like they have been rototilled. Peel back the sod and physically look for the grubs, one or two per square foot aren't a problem, if there are 10 per square foot, that is a problem. If the lawn is uniformly brown, it is usually a water or exposure (shade) problem.

bobcatnj
09-25-2007, 05:17 PM
i went to go look at the property today. the lawn was sodded about 6 years ago.the whole front yard about 2000 sqft is white in color. i dug up a piece of grass about 2ftx 2 ft and grubs were under there. how do you fix this? can you apply a chemical for grubs now? i was thinking about using a sod cutter and removing the front yard, installing about 2-3 in of topsoil and reseeding the property. if i do this will the grubs still be there?