PDA

View Full Version : Pro Aire Tow Behind Aerators

stevesmowing
09-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Has anyone seen these or heard about them before? They look to be pretty well built.

http://www.turf-aire.com/proairehd.html

avnorm
09-23-2007, 10:51 PM
2007 Follow up:

They look similar to Ryan LawnAire Tow Behind's.

Anyone seen 'em or use 'em? I am considering 42" Classen/Lesco, 38" Ryan and, now this one.

But the funny thing is, your link to their products lists "moving sale....prices as of 2005." Are they still in business?

TAZ
09-24-2007, 05:44 AM
they haven't gotten much press so I kinda wrote them off when I was searching tow behinds. The prices are right in line with Classen/Lesco and you know you can get parts for those easily and locally.

-TAZ

avnorm
09-24-2007, 09:19 PM
The heavy duty looks like Ryan's tow behind, and uses their tines, but weighs more.

The ProAire designed for ZTRs is also heavy at about 420# for 36" (my Gravely limits towing at 500#).

I'll explore further, esp since their sale seems a cool value.

turfaire
09-25-2007, 04:45 PM
But the funny thing is, your link to their products lists "moving sale....prices as of 2005." Are they still in business?

Yes we are still in business, and even a sponsor of Lawn Site. We are looking for a site to build a new facility that will meet our needs more.

stevesmowing
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
about $400 to ship one to my location

avnorm
09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I called Turf-Aire today and learned some good things about their "Heavy Duty" aerator that I thought I'd pass along:

1. The lift mechanism is manual, but spring loaded or spring assisted (like a garage door's springs) to lighten the load of lifting the tines out of the ground and restoring the wheels for transit. This apparently obviates the need for hydraulic lift assistance.... Nice!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for saving my back.

OTOH, Classen is manual. But for extra, it has a electric motor & hydraulic mechanism which must be nice for those of us using tow behinds w/o the 3 point hitch as on real tractors; but I believe it is around $800 over and above the $1600 for the 48RT.

2. The Turf Aire tines rotate individually, making turning easier.

This is similar to the more expensive Ryan 36" towable.

OTOH, the Classen has a 2 part axle each w/ 4 tine wheels, w/ one bearing in between ; probably harder to turn.

3. Thuh muther, Turf Aire "Heavy Duty 36 n." aerator weighs 655 lbs. I am nervous about exceeding my Gravely ZTR's 500 lb max towing limit, though
:weightlifter:

Classen 48 RT wghs 320, but carries another 460 lbs (max 780). I wonder if uneven ground, or ravines will toss the loaded weight (cinder blocks, or whatever). But I can stay under 500#'s and save my warranty and hydro's.

4. Replacement tines are cheap at $4.50, and appear to be standard Ryan-type tines.

I do need to learn more about their lighter Pro-Aire model, designed for ZTR's. I believe the Heavy Duty was recommended as the better aerator, though.

Anybody have any experience or thoughts on my two choices?

Thanks ahead of time....

corey4671
09-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Yes we are still in business, and even a sponsor of Lawn Site. We are looking for a site to build a new facility that will meet our needs more.

I had NO idea I had this company in my backdoor! Could you please PM me a price on the 60" tow behind and the weight please? I have a 25hp Everride Warrior and could more than easliy come pick it up.

avnorm
09-26-2007, 07:20 PM
I had NO idea I had this company in my backdoor! Could you please PM me a price on the 60" tow behind and the weight please? I have a 25hp Everride Warrior and could more than easliy come pick it up.

turf-aire.com is their site; they don't answer e-mails too fast, but they are plenty nice on the phone. Hope it helps.

I ordered mine today. $324 shipping to western Maryland.

corey4671
09-26-2007, 09:31 PM
turf-aire.com is their site; they don't answer e-mails too fast, but they are plenty nice on the phone. Hope it helps.

HEy thanks. I wouldn't have to have it shipped. The factory is like 30 minutes from me. Good luck with it. Looks like a solid piece.

stevesmowing
09-27-2007, 01:15 PM

what size and model did you get? Let us know how it works for you when you get it!

avnorm
09-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Heavy Duty 36" Tow Behind; $949 + 24 Tines (~$100) + $324 shipping = $1323.

I believe this will perform well because of its weight and independently rotating tines; the spring loaded handle is a great idea, although electric hydraulic assist must be outrageously convenient.

Eldon Bishop said the hydraulic wasn't a big seller. I believe it was $500 more (a factor for me too). The spring-assisted handle works well, giving about a 200 lb assist.

I think the specs on paper make this a solid aerator and a compelling value.

At that weight (655 lbs), something has to give way during use, including lots of dirt; and I believe rocks and roots are the only obstructions that may bend the tines. So I got some replacements....

Wider units in this design aren't always better, even if you had the equipment to pull m since rocks will either bend the tines or lift the whole unit up, pulling other uninvolved tines up, limiting aeration in that area. I believe the high end John Deere 767(?) 72" Aerator (one is on eBay for $2500 used & $7500 new) divides the tines into smaller sections of 4 wheels that are (heavy) spring loaded -- so only that section lifts out of ground upon hitting a hard surface, and the other tine wheels remain embedded. Its too large for most residential use, though. The 36" model was right for my areas, and a closer to what I can pull with my equipment.

I have passed this on to a few friends in the rental and LCO businesses. They were impressed, too.

I get it in about a week. I'll give F/U then.

turfaire
09-27-2007, 04:43 PM
HEy thanks. I wouldn't have to have it shipped. The factory is like 30 minutes from me. Good luck with it. Looks like a solid piece.

Come by and see us Corey, our doors are open. Give us a call first so we can expect you.

avnorm was right on the e-mails. When I got into work I hit the back to work on getting product out, but he called that afternoon and we got to talk. For the most part we get to the e-mails in the afternoon.

One of the reasons we was busy is when a customer orders we try to make sure all the tines are installed, and if it is a tow unit we put the wheel kits together and put them on the unit. It takes alot of time if ordering is heavy, but saves the customer alot of work.

corey4671
09-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Come by and see us Corey, our doors are open. Give us a call first so we can expect you.

avnorm was right on the e-mails. When I got into work I hit the back to work on getting product out, but he called that afternoon and we got to talk. For the most part we get to the e-mails in the afternoon.

One of the reasons we was busy is when a customer orders we try to make sure all the tines are installed, and if it is a tow unit we put the wheel kits together and put them on the unit. It takes alot of time if ordering is heavy, but saves the customer alot of work.

hey I know where y'all are now! You're out there at Deason down the road from Midway trailers. I always wondered what that building was. I bought my last two trailers from midway and used to get parts from Smith Equipment when I had a Woods mower. I'll be sure to stop in sometime and check y'all out!

avnorm
10-05-2007, 09:15 PM
what size and model did you get? Let us know how it works for you when you get it!

"This is the real deal," a friend said as three of us unloaded the 655 lb muther, the Pro-Aire Heavy Duty 36" Aerator.

I was eager to see it work. I did half the lawn before dark. No rain in a week, 91 F today, a new record in town. But that was a heavy thunderstorm last Thursday (8 days ago).

Good plugs and nice turning radius. Not for small areas. Easy to lift with the spring loaded handles. No trouble pulling with my Gravely 144 XDZ.

I will compare its effectiveness after next rainfall in the other half of lawn, but I can't imagine it doing better. I even aerated a pine needle forest of 8-10 Black Pines 1000 SF.

I am very impressed, and can recommend this aerator.

TAZ
10-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Glad you like it. That is what I like about these forums. You get hooked up with stuff that works. :)

-TAZ

myyaz33
01-31-2008, 11:03 PM
Just wanted to follow up on this thread as I have been interested in trying one of the Pro-Aire or Heavy Duty models. I have tried to contact the company 3 or 4 times now via email and their website with no replies. Now I can't even get to their website. Anyone else having any luck with their website?

avnorm
01-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Hang in there; I, too, found some days have faster email responses than others. The people are helpful, the shipping modest ( I picked the unit up at UPS which saved hoer delivery charge).

I can't wait for spring in order to see the benefits of good aeration and overseeding.

corey4671
02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
Just wanted to follow up on this thread as I have been interested in trying one of the Pro-Aire or Heavy Duty models. I have tried to contact the company 3 or 4 times now via email and their website with no replies. Now I can't even get to their website. Anyone else having any luck with their website?

I don't know how this pertains, but I was by the facility a couple of weeks ago and there was a for sale sign on the building......

yarddawgsllc
02-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I don't know how this pertains, but I was by the facility a couple of weeks ago and there was a for sale sign on the building......

They have mentioned several times that they are looking for a new location and have been for some time now. I would say that is the reason for the sign.

myyaz33
02-25-2008, 03:58 PM
I did finally get ahold of someone via phone and spoke with them. He was very helpful and in fact had replied to my email inquires (even though i didn't get them).

My suggestions, call em. no email

03-22-2008, 01:35 AM
now thier website doesnt work... hopefully soon it will be back up, I want to see this aerator.

hamsey
07-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Now, that you have had the aerator for a little while what are your thoughts. I'm thinking about getting one. Thanks!

Norm

avnorm
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
My lawn has never looked better. I aerated and over seeded fall 2007 and spring 2008, then supervised 18 yr old son in fall 2008 and again soon.

I now have thick, dense grass that naturally prevents weeds, but still have weed and feed fertilizer done by another company about 4 X yr. The combined efforts are gratifying.

This aerator is heavy and always pulls plugs whether soil is dry or moist. It is easy to pull behind ztr. I don't try to get every nook and cranny. Need smaller wb unit for that -- and they bruise you up.

My young adult kids now offer the service and run slowly twice over in criss/cross; each pass takes 1.5X as long as regular mow using Gravely 144 XDZ ztr; 3X regular mowing time in order to be thorough; leave plugs; and then over seed using spreader; set-up and clean up adds 90 min; whole project takes 6 - 7 hrs for thorough job on 0.75 acre flattish lawn with multiple mulched tree & flower islands. $60 of seed cost.

I recommend $400 for service charge minimum for smaller lawns; more based on time/acreage!! I pay $800 for my own lawn; expecting both a nice job and cleaned equipment when son is done. Having done the work and viewed the results, I believe this is fair value for labor time, knowledge, and equipment & overhead.