PDA

View Full Version : Int'l 4700

bobbyg18
09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
im looking into upsizing my dump truck...i currently have an F-550 and have been using it hard and often lately...loading and hauling 4 yards of material at a time is getting old, never mind the fuel costs and wear and tear on the truck itself...

i do small excavation jobs...however even small jobs turn into 5-6 trips per day...id like to cut that down to 2-3 trips per day...

what about the International 4700, ive read some positive posts...what could i expect for about $20K...

RockSet N' Grade
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
You can still expect alot of trips. I have a 4900 with an oversized box and I still prefer to call a local ten wheeler to haul any of my loads. Trucks are a necessary evil, I am not in love with any of them or owning any of them........I make my money on running my equipment, I prefer letting someone else have the neverending expense on running/owning a dump truck. Just a thought.....If you are dead set on single axle dump truck take a look at TThomas rig posted in hardscaping I think......he has a hook lift set up that is the cat's meow.

Gravel Rat
09-25-2007, 12:15 AM
Are you out hauling or in hauling ?

If your hauling materials to the site get a contractor with a tandem haul the material for you. If your jobs entail hauling away material from a site then you should have your own truck. Why do you have to haul the material away from the site is this inner city construction on city sized lots.

As for running a single axle dump to tell you the truth your not much better than the F-550 you have now. If your after a under CDL truck now that limits your payload even further. A truck with a gvw of 25,900lbs gives you a approx payload of aprox 10,000lbs so essentially 1 extra yard of dirt.

Now with a single axle you have bigger tire costs now your buying 22.5 rubber for guys like me that is 450 dollars a tire for recaps. You have more insurance to pay. Repairs on the truck are slightly more but not much.

You figure a decent shape single axle dump is going to cost you minimum 20,000 and that will buy you a well worn out truck.

In my area single axles barely get any work there is no demand for them. Mini excavating companies in this area run tandem axle trucks. What would probably work good for you would be a conventional rail rolloff truck with a lowside box. You can haul the mini around with the truck and you can haul material to the site. One contractor does that here they can do couple jobs a day its very convenient.

bobbyg18
09-25-2007, 11:04 PM
mostly hauling out...i get my dirt/stone etc delivered if more than one/two trips....

i want something that occasionally hold up to 8 yards of dirt...this might be over the limit but i wont do this daily, but once in a while i need the extra carrying capacity...

the type of jobs im after are small excavating...ie hauling out 30 yards of fill from customers yards, i get these jobs a lot a truck w/ double my capacity is what im looking at

im going toh look into the CDL idea, and the tandem...

ksss
09-25-2007, 11:59 PM
I started with a single axle IH 2300 with a GVW of 33K. It is a great truck and is currently for sale. I also own an IH 2500 tandem. I have not put 500 miles on the single axle in the last three years. It has a 6 yard contractors body on it and so it works great for hauling trees and stumps and thats all I use it for. They are just too small to be productive. I would suggest getting a tandem. My single axle takes low pro 24.5. The tires really are not the issue. You will have the expense of running a truck no matter what. Like Rock Set says they are an evil that cannot be avoided. Might as well get a big one.

Gravel Rat
09-26-2007, 12:33 AM
If your hauling away 30 yards and most of your jobs are like that don't fool around with a single axle. You gotta be wearing out your F-550 hauling multiple loads.

I don't know how big your mini is but you may need a lowside box like we use on the West Coast usually 16' feet long with 40-44 inch tall sides.

RockSet N' Grade
09-26-2007, 08:45 PM
BobbyG.........here's the skinny on me. I bought a 4900 some years back thinking it would pay for itself. It has an extra large box. The truck is decked out (if someone would teach me how to post pics, I'd show you :) ). Looking back on it now, the smartest thing would have been to either get a larger truck with a flat bed to carry my hoe implements or step right up and get a tandem axle dump. The bobtail just does NOT cut it for hauling. Learn from my mistakes ( expensive ones at that). All I use my bobtail for now is hauling implements and pulling my track hoe. I am considering disabling the ram and putting on a flat bed since I am in this truck so deep ( $$ ) and cutting down on the $2,500 a year insurance. Think hard on this one. I would sign off on this little post as "been there done that - do what I say and not what I do". Best of luck to ya..........

RockSet N' Grade
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
And if you are set on a single axle.......please explore the possibility of a hook-lift set up. If I was to do it over again, that is the route I would most likely go......but, a hook-lift tandem. Most versatile piece of equipment.

Fieldman12
09-26-2007, 10:09 PM
All are giving good advice on here. We started out with a Single axle in the dumpr truck business. Even though we did make money we had to work way, way to hard at it. Other than that though IH is a tough truck/

snoope
09-26-2007, 11:27 PM
bobbyg18,

You can go all over with making this work....a used 6 wheeler,a "pavers special"..single axle with a pusher or a 10 wheeler....

Depending where you are in Mass...Aran trading in Salisbury has 2 Rd Macks for under $20,000 with recent work and a 6 wheeler Mack also...

try this addy www.truckpaper.com and use the specific search...

Good luck and always ask for references on any dealer.....In New England a good "Name" carries a "Whole" lot of weight.....

Snoope back quiet

04superduty
09-28-2007, 10:30 AM
if you will only be loading the trucks with your skid steer you need to make sure the sides are not to tall. you could try looking at a tandum axle truck with a landscapers dump on it, then you would not have sides that are too tall.

janb
09-29-2007, 03:41 AM
a less expensive alternative to tandem hook lift, might be a tandem flatbed with hoist and removable, or hinged sides (think 'grain-truck'), or even an air-lift tag if you don't need tandem traction. Your insurance man would be more impressed with the term 'flatbed' than 'Dump'. I was quoted ~ 50% discount by avoiding the 4 letter 'd' word. The flatbeds with small or hinged sides are pretty handy for hauling attachments, palletized rock, lumber, rebar, fertilizer bags, stumps... I would definitely step up to a commercial duty truck, as longevity / service / safety / repairs is a world different.