PDA

View Full Version : Digging a Pond

qps
09-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Getting a PC 200 from a buddie to use for my pond installion at my shop...(place to hide from customers and employees) any pointers as I've never done this before:laugh: .....should be interesting to say the least....I should say its a very small pond...I'll post pics as it goes along....

Dirt Digger2
09-24-2007, 09:08 PM
tip...dont let the local tree huggers or DEP find out that you will be messing with anything that involves a watershed, unless you only plan to fill the pond with runoff/rainwater (retention basin) then good luck keeping it full....if you have access to clay i would put a few loads of clay on the bottom and spread it around, it will act as a good liner...if you are daming a stream to make this pond make sure your earth dam is made of inorganic soil ONLY with good compaction and instead of letting water run over the top of the dam put some pipes in then add another 2 foot of cover to the pipe...this will help if it ever floods from washing over the top of the dam and washing the entire thing away...put more pipes then you need, preferably a few 8" pipes (it all depends on you inflow) have enough pipes to handle triple your inflow in case a large storm ever comes.

if you are just digging a hole and diverting a stream into it its pretty simple, just slope the banks down to the bottom and make it look nice...again, make sure your stream diversion ditch is not at a sharp angle (water likes to run in straight lines whenever possible) so keep that in mind, and dig your outflow larger then your inflow. This will again help in storms because in a storm your outflow is greater then your inflow because of the water running into your pond from other areas + your stream inflow + the amount of water that falls on the surface of your ponds water....

good luck...sure sounds fun

qps
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
plenty of clay in our Indiana soil, no inflow or stream to feed it, just rain water so keeping it full should be interesting, I will have a spillway or overflow pipe ran to the rear (lowest point) of the property, my drainage plan shows it as being a pond already....(was just a big low spot) so they can't say much about it....I don't think:nono: ...think I'll dig it this weekend...:laugh:

Construct'O
09-24-2007, 10:00 PM
By the way your describing things your not trying to dam a ditch,just excavate dirt out of the low spot to catchh water.More or less a retention pond sounds like.You said it was by your shop????

If your evespouts just run out on top of the ground you might want to trench them over into your pond when your finished.Also if there isn't enough drainage to keep the pond full you might want to build a graded terrace(berm) to catch more water and bring it into your pond.

How much ground do you have running or sloping over into the area your digging your pond?Also how steep is the area?

Unless your really worried about to much run off just a spill way,once seeded down and grass growing would work.You will need at least 2ft. fill over the elevation you have set for your spill way.

If your just digging a hole you will have more then enough dirt for the dam.You will be having to waste the dirt someplace unless your loading it out and selling it maybe????

You might need it to landscape around your shop ,just a few things i'm pondering on or about.

If you was daming a ditch or stream.We usually core out the middle of the where the fill goes to good clay and back fill with compacted clay.Also strip the sod or grass off where the fill goes.Stock pile the black dirt to put back over the clay fill to get grass growing easier or sell the blackdirt.

Try to just excavate your dirt in your waterline.Need to set some stakes for the waterline to tell where the water level will be when the pond is completed.It will give you some idea how big an area your have water.

Try to aleast slope your side slope where you excavate the dirt.No less then a 2:1 and 2 1/2:1 slope would be better.Don't cut it straight up and down,if possible.

Well hope you have fun and good luck!!!!

Scag48
09-25-2007, 01:31 AM
You couldn't at least rent a decent machine like say, I dunno, a Cat 320 from your local, friendly Caterpillar dealer to handle this job? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You know that Komatsu iron is junk, right? :laugh: :laugh: I'm just playin, have fun with the project. We need pics, though.

qps
09-25-2007, 06:05 AM
You couldn't at least rent a decent machine like say, I dunno, a Cat 320 from your local, friendly Caterpillar dealer to handle this job? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You know that Komatsu iron is junk, right? :laugh: :laugh: I'm just playin, have fun with the project. We need pics, though.

Yes...for about 400.00 a day vs free....I'll take free:cool2:

Earth and Turf
09-28-2007, 09:54 PM
You might check with the DNR they will help you design your pond. They want your pond to be an asset for fish and wildlife. Just a thought

P.Services
09-28-2007, 10:17 PM
pics please, ive been digin with a pc200-7 with a 6' bucket with hydro tilt. make sure you put it into HO mode, burns more fuel but digs like mad.

grassmanvt
09-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Try to aleast slope your side slope where you excavate the dirt.No less then a 2:1 and 2 1/2:1 slope would be better.Don't cut it straight up and down,if possible.

Well hope you have fun and good luck!!!!

I have been told that you should have a vertical edge on a pond to help reduce growth of things like algae and weeds??? I'm no pond pro though. Any thoughts?

Construct'O
09-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I have been told that you should have a vertical edge on a pond to help reduce growth of things like algae and weeds??? I'm no pond pro though. Any thoughts?

It is more a safety factor for if kids swim in it,plus never know if the kid will be playing next to it and decide to go for a wade and step off into straight up and down bank over their heads.

Plus slopes will erode easier:usflag:

grassmanvt
09-29-2007, 10:13 PM
It is more a safety factor for if kids swim in it,plus never know if the kid will be playing next to it and decide to go for a wade and step off into straight up and down bank over their heads.

Plus slopes will erode easier:usflag:

Ah, safety, never thought of it.:hammerhead: