PDA

View Full Version : Uplighting vs. downlighting

carcrz
09-25-2007, 12:00 AM
At what height of tree do you start considering down-lighting over up-lighting?

David Gretzmier
09-25-2007, 12:45 AM
It depends on the tree, but I moonlight (downlight) from trees on average at 16 feet and up, and I will usually put an uplight at the same spot if the client likes the effect.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
09-25-2007, 03:53 AM
That is a really hard question to answer! It depends entirely on the tree (species, height, caliber, location,) as well as on the desired effect. Moonlighting (downlighting) gives a nice, soft, wide spread and sometimes ethereal glow (when done right) to the area, uplighting on the other hand is much more dramatic and genearlly brighter.

I do a LOT of moonlighting here, but we are blessed with lots of great trees. For the most part I locate all of my downlights at 32' off the ground. If I have to go much lower then 24' I will generally look to another tree or another way of lighting it.

"The higher the light, the closer to God"

Chris J
09-25-2007, 07:48 AM
At what height of tree do you start considering down-lighting over up-lighting?

This post leads me to believe that you mean that you may be trying to light the tree trunk itself with a down light. While this is entirely possible, I usually reserve down lighting/moon lighting for surrounding objects, features or ground cover to give a more dramatic effect. Personally, I always like to uplight the tree itself. Even if it has a moon light in the canopy, I will most likely up light it to wash out the effect of the light source coming down.
Just personal preference I guess.

JoeyD
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Moonlighting photo

NiteTymeIlluminations
09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
too hot...hopefully thats just the photo

Go Halogen
09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Joey......What's up with the search light effect??

That picture reminds me of an old X-Files episode......:laugh:

That is why Unique needs to come standard with a 20 watt BAB/60...
Just kidding......

Andy

JoeyD
09-25-2007, 09:03 PM
HAHAH......I dont know the history of this photo and what lights or how many are being used. Does look bright, it didnt look so hot at 6:30am...lol Should have used a frosted lens.

Joey D.

JoeyD
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
OK OK OK.....Maybe I can redeam myself here. Here is a good example of moonlighting. This was done with Quasar 1 fixtures w/ 20w BAB lamps and frosted lenses. The lgihts are about 20 ft high. Not sure exactly how many there are here.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/DSCN1456.jpg

pete scalia
09-26-2007, 11:16 PM
What kind of fixtures are those that are built into the driveway that is uplighting the wooden gate? Looks like they are popping slightly above the concrete drive. They can be driven over without harm?

JoeyD
09-27-2007, 02:06 AM
Those are apollo star well lights. They have what we call our commercial brass grate that has a slight convex to it for strength. They do not stick as high as it looks. The lamp is just close to the surface.