PDA

View Full Version : Corner Lots?/Normal Lots?

bushwacker24
09-25-2007, 01:52 AM
Im new to this business but not mowing a lawn, I was once told that
I should price based on lots not actual sq.ft. is this wrong? Im charging $25-$30 for normal, and $35-$45 for a corner is there a better way?
also I started about 2 months ago (late in the season) and had not 1 cliente
but I went to all the real estate offices in my town and asked if there were any vacant homes that needed some attention, this got me 7 clients in about 2 weeks and 4 were on my 1st day of scouting. Now my worry is what happens when they finaly are sold or rented, I am wondering what to do for clients next season?

capetan
09-25-2007, 01:59 AM
heres my formula, say you have 21" mower multiply the mower sizes by $2 charge that an hour, so 42 an hour

bushwacker24
09-25-2007, 02:07 AM
so 36" is $72 hour, and I also I heard I should be charging $1 per minute for every lawn I do which turns out to be $60 hour so I guess its to each his own when it comes to pricing. thanks

topsites
09-25-2007, 02:42 AM
You have a system, work with that and tweak it a little over time as you see fit.
You'll be fine, that's all you need is a system, some kind of a 'ok here is how I do it.'
And if it isn't perfect, don't worry about it, mine isn't either (thou I sure like to think it is :laugh:)
It gets better with time, I think you'll see where you need to make adjustments eventually, etc, you're gtg really.

Vikings
09-25-2007, 02:54 AM
Yeah, I actually do have a price list for sq. ft. and charge extra for corner lots but sometimes the city cuts the grass on the corner. I'm still small time in lawns and now I know that the most important thing is obstacles and gate sizes, trimming and the customer attitude.

I'll still advertise prices for lawns, I like to have prices on my flyers but I will adjust the price or the service if I can't make a dollar a minute on it. If I make more then a dollar a minute well then... I won't say nothing :)

Soupy
09-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I think the whole $1 a minute was based on a 60" deck. So $1 per inches of deck per hour would be more realistic, but then again this system started a few years back.

I would say a 52" deck is closer to the $1 a minute now.

Then you have small lots that is based on a minimum because sometimes a push mower is just as fast.

It trial and error. If your landing all your bids your to low, if your gaining 1/2 your just about right.

GroundForce007
09-25-2007, 05:28 AM
I think the whole $1 a minute was based on a 60" deck. So $1 per inches of deck per hour would be more realistic, but then again this system started a few years back.

Then you have small lots that is based on a minimum because sometimes a push mower is just as fast.

It trial and error. If your landing all your bids your to low, if your gaining 1/2 your just about right.

yeah i think thats what it is too

cgaengineer
09-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Im new to this business but not mowing a lawn, I was once told that
I should price based on lots not actual sq.ft. is this wrong? Im charging $25-$30 for normal, and $35-$45 for a corner is there a better way?
also I started about 2 months ago (late in the season) and had not 1 cliente
but I went to all the real estate offices in my town and asked if there were any vacant homes that needed some attention, this got me 7 clients in about 2 weeks and 4 were on my 1st day of scouting. Now my worry is what happens when they finaly are sold or rented, I am wondering what to do for clients next season?

If the housing market is like it is around here expect to be mowing those lawns for about 5 years!

Vikings
09-25-2007, 08:53 AM

Well I don't have that much experience so I base it on the yard. I time it $25 better be 25 minutes. If I'm using the 21 cause the want it bagged I make sure its done in 25 minutes.

topsites
09-25-2007, 11:08 AM
now I know that the most important thing is obstacles and gate sizes, trimming and the customer attitude.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would as soon work an hour for $45 for someone who treats me with the utmost respect (I just get OFF when some fancy lawyer in a 500k house treats me like I'm one of them without overdoing it or faking it or being condescending), vs. someone I feel is just jerking me around it seems $30 for 18 minutes isn't enough.

That and there's travel time... More and more I'd as soon spend more time for less $ / hour than make $90 / hour but I can't get 10 minutes in and wow I gotta hop back in the truck again, seems to me it's all the same money in the end anyhow.

Something about it, those I'll do more for are also the kind who spend the most / year.
It's a whole different story to put in hours at 45-50 / hour for someone who spends over a grand a year, compared to someone who I gotta pull teeth to squeeze another dime out of some super-tight 2-300 / year budget, this is right about where I start quoting $100 / hour because I don't even want it...
I just can't do it anymore, I'm all for those who stroke the big checks without even flinching, took time to see that thou.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-26-2007, 08:41 PM
so 36" is $72 hour, and I also I heard I should be charging $1 per minute for every lawn I do which turns out to be $60 hour so I guess its to each his own when it comes to pricing. thanks

Unless you are doing really small lawns it's going to be hard to charge $60 an hour with a 21", that's why that formula is useful.

LawnMowerMan2003
09-26-2007, 08:46 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself.

I would as soon work an hour for $45 for someone who treats me with the utmost respect (I just get OFF when some fancy lawyer in a 500k house treats me like I'm one of them without overdoing it or faking it or being condescending), vs. someone I feel is just jerking me around it seems $30 for 18 minutes isn't enough.

That and there's travel time... More and more I'd as soon spend more time for less $ / hour than make $90 / hour but I can't get 10 minutes in and wow I gotta hop back in the truck again, seems to me it's all the same money in the end anyhow.

Something about it, those I'll do more for are also the kind who spend the most / year.
It's a whole different story to put in hours at 45-50 / hour for someone who spends over a grand a year, compared to someone who I gotta pull teeth to squeeze another dime out of some super-tight 2-300 / year budget, this is right about where I start quoting $100 / hour because I don't even want it...
I just can't do it anymore, I'm all for those who stroke the big checks without even flinching, took time to see that thou.

Well I can understand if you have a difficult time getting your money but other than that customer attitude shouldn't matter as long as you're getting paid good?

capetan
09-26-2007, 09:03 PM
sorry i forgot to add to my formula..... my minimum fee is $25 and minimum fee to drive to a customers house is $35 and the formula only works if you have the right equipment for the job, if you have to ask whats the right equipment for the job then dont use my formula :) ........ the formula assumes that, the large the equipment the quicker the job and the higher the cost to operate

LawnMowerMan2003
09-26-2007, 09:18 PM
sorry i forgot to add to my formula..... my minimum fee is $25 and minimum fee to drive to a customers house is $35 and the formula only works if you have the right equipment for the job, if you have to ask whats the right equipment for the job then dont use my formula :) ........ the formula assumes that, the large the equipment the quicker the job and the higher the cost to operate

So if somebody wanted their front lawn mowed down the street from you and it was really small, you would still charge $60?

Vikings
09-27-2007, 01:28 AM
I guess its fine to say, "I only do half acre lots and up" so my minimum is whatever.

But I want everything UP to 1/2 acre, at least for now, the smaller the yard the better imo. I don't have 60 inch mowers. Just 21's and a 36". Plus I really DO WANT smaller yards. I really feel they are more profitable and certainly more PLENTIFUL. If your price is right you can make money AND have a tight route.

capetan
09-27-2007, 08:35 PM
sorry i meant to say 25 minimum for neighbors, however if i have to load my equipment up the minimum is 35, not 25 plus 35, that would be a little high