PDA

View Full Version : bidding on commercial accounts

manningslc
09-25-2007, 06:04 PM
I am currently bidding on commercial accounts. When they want an estimate for mulch do you give a set price or do you write on the proposal how much you charge per hour and include the supplies cost?

NC Greenscaper
09-25-2007, 08:59 PM
I include it in the charge for all the services. Figured in based on the the number of replacements/replenishments per year. Cost of mulch + mark up, plus labor, delivery times number of times per year. Add that into all your other cost.

ed2hess
09-25-2007, 10:01 PM
We followed Tru Green bid idea of a certain amount per 2 cu ft bag...in our area it is $5. You don't want the mulch to be included because it inflates the monthly amount and you want that to look low.

turbo5560
09-25-2007, 10:07 PM
We followed Tru Green bid idea of a certain amount per 2 cu ft bag...in our area it is $5. You don't want the mulch to be included because it inflates the monthly amount and you want that to look low.

you mulch by the bag? never heard of a commercial business doing things by the bag unless for small jobs.... :dizzy:

stevenf
09-26-2007, 01:05 AM
I have been working for someone that has a bank contract. Ive seen the guys pull up for the mulching job and they have a big utility Izuzu truck and the back is stacked like 10ft high with about 200 bags of mulch. Thats all they use are bags.

ed2hess
09-26-2007, 08:21 PM
you mulch by the bag? never heard of a commercial business doing things by the bag unless for small jobs.... :dizzy:

WE buy mulch by the pallet.......I think there are 65 bags and some accounts take several pallets. You bid a bag price so there will be no argument about not being thick enough etc...etc. Very common in our area.

Stillwater
09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
that is just to funny you guys serious?

LawnMowerMan2003
09-26-2007, 08:35 PM

I think it's a good idea. I worked for a a guy that has a larger business and he charges by the bag to clean up leaves; I think it would make the estimates easier.

Stillwater
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
the only places around hear that sells bags is the local gas station walmart and the homedepot

LawnMowerMan2003
09-26-2007, 09:15 PM
I didn't know you could get mulch at the local gas station lmao

Stillwater
09-26-2007, 09:24 PM
mostly just the ladies tossing a bag or 2 in the suv when they gas up

barefootlawnsandlandscape
09-26-2007, 09:29 PM
It is common around here to add the cost of mulch into the monthly contract. I figure the yardage at the property and charge the amount on a 12 month basis in addition to the other services we offer in the contract.

jbannick18
09-27-2007, 12:37 AM
I haven't bid on commercial properties yet but I won't be adding in mulch to the cost, it should be offered but it should be noted as extra work. just me .2.

DiGGz
09-27-2007, 10:14 PM
WE buy mulch by the pallet.......I think there are 65 bags and some accounts take several pallets. You bid a bag price so there will be no argument about not being thick enough etc...etc. Very common in our area.

I do the same. Just did one Monday and priced it as per bag installed.

cod8825
09-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Depending on the company people vary we price are jobs by figuring the total area estimated. Example most of our accounts are mulitiple acres with anywhere from twenty or thirty beds up to 400 seperate beds. We make an average bed size because most or are accounts vary by about five square feet from bed to bed. We calculate total square foot of area to be mulched factor in the the depth of coverage 1" for top dressing or 2" for new job or accounts that have been neglected. Divide that by 12 for 2" covering or 24 for 1" topdressing and that gives us our bags. We add a little for miscalculations times it by our cost which is three dollars a bag and have our costs double that and that is our bid. For jobs that are under 100 bags we do costs plus an hourly rate of 50 dollars one hour minimum.

We almost exculsively use bags because we found that we work faster have less clean up using bags then wheel barrows and shovels. The extra cost for bags more than makes up the time in labor costs. JMHO

Matt

Stillwater
09-27-2007, 11:43 PM
just goes to show you how things are done differently around the country. just out of curiosity how many bags would 1 yard of mulch be?

Stillwater
09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
nobody knows?

ed2hess
09-28-2007, 07:35 PM
just goes to show you how things are done differently around the country. just out of curiosity how many bags would 1 yard of mulch be?

How about 27 cu-ft per yard.....so that is about 13 bags if they are 2 cu-ft bags. Guess I got the math correct? We have found that some bulk mulch goes further than the same amount in bags. Do they short the bags...maybe? Most likely that the load guy for bulk puts a little more in the bucket.

cod8825
09-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Bulk mulch is always cheaper for the cost then bags just harder to handle for us at jobs sites. We have always found that places will always go over then you come back and say they shorted you bad for business.

nickslawn
09-29-2007, 12:31 AM
i mulch by the bag here as well as 3 other large companys here. The local farmers co-op supplies us with mulch pine and hardwood. They sell at least150 pallets there year.

Stillwater
09-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Depending on the company people vary we price are jobs by figuring the total area estimated. Example most of our accounts are mulitiple acres with anywhere from twenty or thirty beds up to 400 seperate beds. We make an average bed size because most or are accounts vary by about five square feet from bed to bed. We calculate total square foot of area to be mulched factor in the the depth of coverage 1" for top dressing or 2" for new job or accounts that have been neglected. Divide that by 12 for 2" covering or 24 for 1" topdressing and that gives us our bags. We add a little for miscalculations times it by our cost which is three dollars a bag and have our costs double that and that is our bid. For jobs that are under 100 bags we do costs plus an hourly rate of 50 dollars one hour minimum.

We almost exculsively use bags because we found that we work faster have less clean up using bags then wheel barrows and shovels. The extra cost for bags more than makes up the time in labor costs. JMHO

Matt

so you are laying 1 yard of mulch for 78 dollars this is not that far off other prices for mulching I have seen. is this includeing labor for bed prep? edgeing weeding? if you dont mind me asking