PDA

View Full Version : how to on hedges

Mowerboy04
09-25-2007, 06:41 PM
hey guys i've never done alot of hedge trimming work before but next year i have a few full maintance acounts that want hedge trimming every week. so what are some tricks to keep all the hedges straight. and my biggest question is are there any tricks to cleaning up the clippings, ive tried blowing tarps and bucktes nothing seems to work so good any tips thanks
alex

Nicdv1
09-25-2007, 08:15 PM
trimming hedges and making them look good just takes practice, and keep your trimmer blades sharp ,oh and make sure you put grease in the trimmer regulary!to clean up some places you can rake up all the big stuff ,then mow over the rest!

clallen03
09-26-2007, 08:05 AM
There's really no trick to it. Like Nicdv1 stated above it takes practice and since you are trimming every week you should get plenty of it. I would recommend starting by only taking the new growth off the first couple of weeks. Then once you get comfortable with the trimmers then you can try to go a little deeper and start shaping them the way you want to.

I started by asking a few of my neighbors can I trim there hedges for free. I butchered the first three sets but by the time I got to the 4th I was on track and ready to start charging for the service. They were pretty understanding because I told them that they might not look too good because I was just learning. I just touched them up when they started to grow back.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Grn Mtn
09-26-2007, 08:43 AM
hey guys i've never done alot of hedge trimming work before but next year i have a few full maintance acounts that want hedge trimming every week. so what are some tricks to keep all the hedges straight. and my biggest question is are there any tricks to cleaning up the clippings, ive tried blowing tarps and bucktes nothing seems to work so good any tips thanks
alex

Prevent the growth in the first place, have someone come out and spray all the hedges to slow the growth, better for the plants and you. I hope you didn't mean the same bush needs to be trimmed every week:dizzy:

you'll want a lightweight two-sided shear, and an articulating pole mounted kind.

keeping them straight is just practice, but if your concerned run a string-line with a line-level across two poles as a guide. oh yeah, don't shape the plants like a diamond, makes the bottoms thin because of lack of sunlight.

if you can time it that mulch goes down after trimming this makes life way better:clapping: or rake everything into the lawn and pickup with bagging mower.