PDA

View Full Version : Replacing pop up's

ccondie
09-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Iam going to be replacing some pop ups tomorrow and need to know if there is really anything to doing this. It will be my first time replacing one. the one iam going to replace is about a 4" & will be replaced with possibly a 6" or 8". I dunno.

sildoc
09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Hunter, toro, rb? why are you replacing them? It is really easy to replace but getting them to be level and set in ground properly will take you a while till you do a few. why 8"? I can see 6" if you keep the grass really tall but 8 is over kill and not worth the money.

zman9119
09-25-2007, 10:02 PM
who makes an 8" P\U or are we talking about the those new double pop-ups (you know... a 4" on top of a 4" or a 6" with a 2" on it).

.mz

sildoc
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
who makes an 8" P\U or are we talking about the those new double pop-ups (you know... a 4" on top of a 4" or a 6" with a 2" on it).

.mz

Yeah your right I was thinking 12", not 8.

BrandonV
09-25-2007, 11:25 PM
why you putting 12s where 4s used to be? was it a bed and the original installer put 4" for the shrubs?

sildoc
09-25-2007, 11:28 PM
why you putting 12s where 4s used to be? was it a bed and the original installer put 4" for the shrubs?

I am not. reread my post. I was just saying that there are no 8's and there are 2,3,4,6,12. I can see using 6 on tall grass but I have yet to have a problem with properly adjusted 4's. I use mainly 1804 series with what ever nozzel best fits the purpose.

ccondie
09-26-2007, 12:07 AM
iam replacing this one because it is behind some plants and it is supposed to be watering part of the yard but the daylily plants are growing to tall and it is not hitting the yard properly or as much it should. Per the customers request.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-26-2007, 12:19 AM
iam replacing this one because it is behind some plants and it is supposed to be watering part of the yard but the daylily plants are growing to tall and it is not hitting the yard properly or as much it should. Per the customers request.

You are going to throw water over the daylilies? Why not go with a copper riser and a brass nozzle to boot. They'll think you are high end.

Kiril
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
You are going to throw water over the daylilies? Why not go with a copper riser and a brass nozzle to boot. They'll think you are high end.

tsk tsk :nono: SS riser with brass nozzle.

Or even better yet, move the sprinkler.

PurpHaze
09-26-2007, 01:02 PM

The Hydrozone Police are on their way. :nono: :laugh:

DanaMac
09-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm still waiting for the blatant push of "how about putting an MP Rotator on it".

Is everyone getting a kick back on these? Hell I was in Snowmass/Aspen, CO couple weeks ago for a ballooning event. There was a guy standing near me with a Rainbird sweatshirt on, so I stopped him and said hi. He and his wife were saying they own or run 7 distributors in Michigan and Illinois (or Indiana). Next thing they said was "have you tried the MP Rotators yet?" Seems like everyone is overly pushing them. Sounds like they are good, but not this good.

I've worked on a couple systems with them, and many were partially clogged or not rotating.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

FIMCO-MEISTER
09-26-2007, 01:25 PM
I'm still waiting for the blatant push of "how about putting an MP Rotator on it".

Is everyone getting a kick back on these? Hell I was in Snowmass/Aspen, CO couple weeks ago for a ballooning event. There was a guy standing near me with a Rainbird sweatshirt on, so I stopped him and said hi. He and his wife were saying they own or run 7 distributors in Michigan and Illinois (or Indiana). Next thing they said was "have you tried the MP Rotators yet?" Seems like everyone is overly pushing them. Sounds like they are good, but not this good.

I've worked on a couple systems with them, and many were partially clogged or not rotating.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

Excellent post Dana, I was thinking the same thing in May of this year. Now I'm one of their biggest fans. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me.:cry:

Mike Leary
09-26-2007, 03:22 PM
tsk tsk :nono: SS riser with brass nozzle.

Jeez, what a industrial suggestion...can you say "patina"?
Copper risers are (IMHO) valued as being ornamental. :hammerhead: :)

WalkGood
09-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Copper risers are (IMHO) valued as being ornamental.

Oh well, then forget it. I only buy American made products. :rolleyes:

Kiril
09-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Jeez, what a industrial suggestion...can you say "patina"?
Copper risers are (IMHO) valued as being ornamental. :hammerhead: :)

Shame on me :nono: I forgot to put SS riser with optional brass plating.

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Shame on me :nono: I forgot to put SS riser with optional brass plating.

Whew! That's a relief..I thought you'd gone Bauhaus on us.:)

PurpHaze
09-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Oh well, then forget it. I only buy American made products. :rolleyes:

ROFLMFAO!!!!! :drinkup: :laugh:

Depending on location and visibility "ornamental copper risers" could become a target for thieves for the recycling money. Everyone ignores plastic which in a lot of instances is just perfect.

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 12:18 PM
ROFLMFAO!!!!! :drinkup: :laugh:

Depending on location and visibility "ornamental copper risers" could become a target for thieves for the recycling money. Everyone ignores plastic which in a lot of instances is just perfect.

True..liability is something all riser users must consider...I think it was in
Texas where a person impaled themselves on a riser..sued the restaurant
contractor and..get this...the manufacturer of the brass nozzle! Remember
the "coal brass" nozzles Buckner used to make to deter the little vandals?

PurpHaze
09-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Non-risers have been part of our specs for 25+ years but we had parking lot planter areas installed at one new school site about 15 years ago on SCH 80 nipples with shrub adapters and spray nozzles held tight by rebar and hose clamps. We "screamed" about this before the school was ever opened that they created a trip hazard to people but were utterly ignored. The then Director of Maintenance/Operations stated, "This is what the architect called for and they know what they're doing" so we couldn't change his mind. He's now moved on to another district (one of those "leave or we'll make you leave" situations) because of his numerous screw-ups. We've since gone in and put all the heads on swing joints and pop-up bodies because two tripping incidents occurred that cost the district settlement monies.

Kiril
09-27-2007, 02:34 PM
Non-risers have been part of our specs for 25+ years

Risers are for posers ( except for SS with brass plating ;) ). Real solutions find ways to irrigate effectively without the need for silly risers that just keep going up and up and up and up........

Mike Leary
09-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Risers are for posers ( except for SS with brass plating ;) ). Real solutions find ways to irrigate effectively without the need for silly risers that just keep going up and up and up and up........

:nono: My risers never rose......5' centers remember? By the second season
one could not even spot them..could only hear them work.:)
I have not been called a "poser" since I was in seventh grade & used a lot
of brylcream..flattop with fenders baby!:cool2:

Kiril
09-28-2007, 09:13 AM
:nono: My risers never rose......5' centers remember? By the second season
one could not even spot them..could only hear them work.:)
I have not been called a "poser" since I was in seventh grade & used a lot
of brylcream..flattop with fenders baby!:cool2:

Right-on Elvis :clapping: