PDA

View Full Version : What do yah think?

deereman
09-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey guys, just want to hear what you guys think about my situation involving seeding and mulching a yard. We were contacted about installing a new yard. Its right at 95000 sq. ft. We tucked dirt in all around the building, sidewalks. driveway, and retaining walls. Then Harleyraked all dirt in areas to be seeded, spread fert and a little lime. Broadcasted the seed, rolled and dragged the area. Then we blew mulch over the whole thing. A total of about 180 bales of straw. I told them that we needed to get that mulch watered down so it would better establish itself down and stay while wetting the seed, to get this lawn off and running. Well this is an all new place of business and they hadnt yet had the water hooked up to the outside faucets therefore could not get any water on anything. Now we had a week later, a heck of a wind storm and a lot of the mulch blew off. About 50% of it. Now am I obligated in any way to fix this problem, or is it there baby. I quoted them two prices one for hydro-seed and one for broadcasting and blowing mulch down. They wanted the broadcast and mulch. When I sent in my bid I also sent along a letter stating how important it is to keep the top soil moist, until the grass has established itself. Anyway this is driving me nuts I feel like its my fault, however I cannot control the weather. I mean if you had somebody build you a house and the wind blew it down the builder could not take the blame. Please chime in on this and let me know what you think. Thanks inadvance.

Smallaxe
09-26-2007, 07:36 AM
This time of year straw cover is not a big deal in our area. I never use it anymore. That is a large area and it would probably do more harm than good to go tracking around in the seed bed.
Tell them to keep watering and see what happens.

jeffinsgf
09-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Seems like if the GC saw that water was not available yet, he should have worked with you on scheduling the seed and mulch at a later date. I think you've done everything you needed to. You told them ahead of time that water needed to be available as soon as the seed and straw went down -- they didn't do it.

deereman
09-27-2007, 08:55 PM
C-Mon guys this has had to happen before. Please share with us your similar story and how it played out.

Smallaxe
09-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Hey, try this. I have a guarantee for every seeded lawn. That is:
"I 'guarantee', if you don't water - the grass will not grow".
It happens all the time, don't beat yourself up over it.
If I have to reseed or sod or whatever it is charged.

PrecisionLandscapingEast
10-02-2007, 04:07 PM
I would offer to restraw and throw more seed for them at a "discounted price." I think still make a little money, but not at your typical profit margin. I also believe doing whatever it take to make the customer happy, it will be pay off in the long run.

deereman
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Well with all the rain we have been having the lawn is thriving well, other than a few spots where it washed a little.

lawnpro724
10-05-2007, 07:41 PM
I quit using straw several years ago and haven't looked back, its more trouble than its worth. Put it on to heavy or leave it on to long and it kills the grass or blows all over the place. We just work up the soil and grade if nessesary, fertilize, seed, and roll the seed into the soil and wait for rain. I've been doing it this way for years and not one complaint, people seem to be happier that I'm not using straw.

BrandonV
10-05-2007, 08:05 PM
yeah don't use the straw, it just invites weeds in.