PDA

View Full Version : John Deere / New Holland / BOBCAT

meets1
09-25-2007, 10:03 PM
In my town those are the brands to choose from. All others are within60 -80 mile from my place.

Neighbor - contractor - has all new holland. Say that is the only way to go. I asked about Deere and Bobcat. He told me Deere skid is made by new holland?? Any truth to this??

Nothing good to say about the bobcat - but he didn't knock it either. I just want to know the truth!

SiteSolutions
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
I don't know much at all about New Hollands.

My general impression of the other two:

JD has more lifting power than most machines, and some say (though I have not observed) better pushing power.

I like my Bobcat because it handles abuse fairly well and I find the cab a little nicer than the JD.

If you're serious about a purchase, get a demo in each one. Try them all out. And then you should have a much better idea of which one you like. Most folks on here will tell you to demo as much as you can. And although some makes are better at some things than others, each model from each maker is different, so figure out what you want it to do and then demo the kinds of machines that are suited to that work.

Tigerotor77W
09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
He told me Deere skid is made by new holland?? Any truth to this??

It was true until 1999, when Deere began manufacturing the 200 series, which was designed and built by Deere on its own.

ksss
09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/157250?h=405%2C1677

Here is a Deere 328 with 600 plus hours on it and it went for 18K. Nicely equipped and over all is decent shape. This is one example of Deere continuing to struggle with poor resale. It maybe some time before the 200 series monkey is off their back. They don't resale well here either, although they are very competive (read dam cheap) on new units here. I would let the demo tell you which one you want. Bobcat machines hold their value (although their name is more powerful than the machines). After you demo them the machine you want will let you know.

ksss
09-25-2007, 11:16 PM
The NH machines are popular with guys around here especially concrete guys. They will not bow you away with the specs. The break out is not great and neither is the hp. However they seem to be very dependable. I see NH is advertising an update cab on their machines. It was needed (as are the CASE cabs) the machines are similar to the JD machines in their lift geometry. The Deere machines are more powerful, I am not sure they are as trouble free as the NH. NH has been running that same basic design 15 years or so. They have it down to say the least. Now that NH has true pilots (not to be confused with Bobcats E/H controls) it would likely be the best control system of the three.

Fieldman12
09-26-2007, 09:06 PM
All three make a very good machine. On a Deere I would not get a series any earlier than a Series II. The earlier models where good though if all the updates had been done. As for Bobcat they are good machines but like ksss, said you are just paying mostly for the name. Bobcat on some of there models had booms cracking and stay away from the Deutz engines. New Holland makes a over all well built machine but as some have stated on here some of the earlier NH machines also had boom breakage. Personally the later the better machines in all three of these brands. Don't get me wrong all of them had earlier good machines you just had to know more about what to watch for. Some of Bobcat's best where earlier models.

Fieldman12
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
I think Deere and NH will give you the most bang for your buck. As ksss, stated deere's are cheap to buy but around here at least resale is getting better and better all the time. Also around here it's all Deere, Cat, and Bobcat country.

YellowDogSVC
09-30-2007, 09:12 PM
All three make a very good machine. On a Deere I would not get a series any earlier than a Series II. The earlier models where good though if all the updates had been done. As for Bobcat they are good machines but like ksss, said you are just paying mostly for the name. Bobcat on some of there models had booms cracking and stay away from the Deutz engines. New Holland makes a over all well built machine but as some have stated on here some of the earlier NH machines also had boom breakage. Personally the later the better machines in all three of these brands. Don't get me wrong all of them had earlier good machines you just had to know more about what to watch for. Some of Bobcat's best where earlier models.

I have been running Bobcats since '97 and have owned 8 machines and ranging from a 773g, 2 863's (c and g) s250, 3 s300's s220
863 c series had some boom's crack at the front but that was fixed with g series then a totally redesigned boom for the s220, which virtually replaced the 863's) elimated any problems from what I have heard and actually experienced.
Never had a problem with Deutz and put over 2700 hours on 2 machines but it's a moot point as bobcat is running kubotas now.
I don't think you can go wrong with Bobcat and there are a lot of models to choose from and a good dealer network all over. They are priced in my area the same or better than a CAT or Case for a similar load-out.

I like the solid feel I have in a Bobcat and the cabs are comfortable if you go AC though the vent placement sucks.

Fieldman12
09-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I like Bobcat machines. I cant say anything really bad about them. I mean after all the market is flooded with them in most parts of the country yet they still keep a good resale price. All brands have had some issues such as Bobcat had with the booms craking on some models and the belt driven timing on some of the Deutz motors. I think all the brands any more are getting carried away with the prices though.

SiteSolutions
09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
I think all the brands any more are getting carried away with the prices though.

Anything made from steel has gone through the roof in the last four years or so. I just left the manufacturing sector where a big part of the cost was... steel. And without starting a political hi-jack of this thread, I will say that by protecting the jobs of a few hundred steel workers in a tiny part of the US, certain powers-that-be fv<3d the rest of us all the way down the line. Everything (especially trucks, loaders, hoes, etc...) has steel in it or is delivered by something that needs steel in it; steel tariffs were a really bad idea from my point of view. Hope those 300 guys that got to keep their jobs are buying a lot of landscaping and cars and appliances and every other d4mn3d thing that now costs more (and sells less).

meets1
09-30-2007, 11:28 PM
I am going with the BOBCAt S205 model. That will fit me best in overall size what what I am doing. Now to determine what to use for snow removal - blade or pusher.

NH is in town but I just liked the feel of the BOBCAT after demoing them for a few days on different jobs. I have always had Case, and nothing bad about them but a little more pricey than what I got and the Deere seemed strong as well but again - it was the comfort and feel of the machine for me.

Thanks for the input guys.

ksss
10-01-2007, 10:34 PM
When the 205 was introduced and I saw the physical size I thought it would a near perfect configuration. Leave it to Bobcat to drop the ball on the performance of this machine. Lack of adequate hp, terrible break out force it was a shame as I had high hopes for that machine. I am not knocking anyone who buys them, you buy what fits your company best. This machine was an opportunity for Bobcat to hit one out of the park. They hit a foul ball at best. IMHO of course

Scag48
10-02-2007, 03:26 AM
I agree, I think the S220 is probably a better all-around machine just for it's horsepower advantage.

meets1
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
I did check with the S220 - nice unit but the size of machine for what I do was pushing it a bit. So therefore one reason I went with the bigger unit.